Is it possible to restart or refresh one's HPTA axis?

anyman

Awards
  • Established
I have spent, quite literally, HOURS researching testosterone and issues relating thereto. Amazing what one can learn when one's testicles are at issue!

Since most "mainstream" docs seem painfully unware of the HPTA axis and only want to prescribe Androgel without a clue or care about the long term effects I started research. I get the distinctions between primary & secondary hypogonadism and note most guys seem to be complaining of secondary. Count me in this camp- my testicles work, but aren't getting the right signals from the brain.

Here is what I don't get: Why isn't there more info on restarting the body's OWN functioning? Why are so many ordinary doctors only interested in a simplistic approach? In short, is it even possible to restart the HPTA? This assumes, of course, that there is no tumor or other similar factor at play. If this is possible, how can it be done?

fit4life05

Awards
From what I understand it is possible, but not that likely....

Dr John currently has me on that protocol using Nolvadex.

Any specific questions?

anyman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, fit4life- I do have questions.

From what I understand it is possible, but not that likely....

Dr John currently has me on that protocol using Nolvadex.

Any specific questions?

Besides "why me?" and related unprinted comments, I remain puzzled as to WHY generally healthy and fit guys like me are increasingly suffering from what I'm beginning to call "acquired eunuch syndrome".

As for the HPTA, do we know why it shuts down?

Is Nolvadex the generally accepted way to try a refresh/restart? Are there other methods? I am intrigued at this as your post is the first time I have ever heard of this despite a fair amount of research. Illustrates how informative this board is.

What is the protocal/procedure? More specifically, is Nolvadex used exclusively by itself or with hcg, trt and/or other things? How long does the attempt last? Does one avoid other drugs while trying it?

As you can see, I am most interested in keeping and enhancing my own body's abilities before turning to external supplements. Seems the better way to go.

Thanks for your time and effort. Much appreciated.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Besides "why me?" and related unprinted comments, I remain puzzled as to WHY generally healthy and fit guys like me are increasingly suffering from what I'm beginning to call "acquired eunuch syndrome".

Is Nolvadex the generally accepted way to try a refresh/restart? Are there other methods? I am intrigued at this as your post is the first time I have ever heard of this despite a fair amount of research. Illustrates how informative this board is.

What is the protocal/procedure? More specifically, is Nolvadex used exclusively by itself or with hcg, trt and/or other things? How long does the attempt last? Does one avoid other drugs while trying it?

As you can see, I am most interested in keeping and enhancing my own body's abilities before turning to external supplements. Seems the better way to go.

You can check the answers I got to my questions on HPTA restart.

EDIT BY DR CRISLER: THIS NEEDS TO BE THE LAST TIME I SEE AN AD FOR THIS UNTESTED PRODUCT ON HERE.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Quote: "Another example could be with users of clomid or nolva. These are truly toxic drugs that could be replaced by Derma Sustain as a much healthier SERM alternative, and as a better stimulator of erectile function and libido."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:

fit4life05

Awards

ill try to anser these questions to the best of my knowledge

1) why me is same i thought. in my case i was only 18 wen it started, just imagine...over time u kinda except it and just pray for the day to come when everything is normal

2) there can be multiple reasons why it shuts down. in my case, i beleive that my immune system was shot and strep throat for two weeks just completely depressed my adrenals

3) Nolva and/or Clomid are the two most used ways of trying to restart the hpta. these are what steroid use at the end of a cycle. clomid has some bad effects on guys so Nolvadex is what is used more often

4) as far as i know HGC will not help bring your hpta system back. it will help your testicles produce some natural test and some sperm, but it actually hinders the hpta if ur goal is to bring it back (i may be wrong)

here is my protocol for trying to kickstart my hpta

Nolvadex

40mg per day (20mg 2x a day) for 2 weeks

30mg per day (15mh 2x a day) for 1 week

20mg per day for 1 week

10mg per day for 1 week

i am currently on day 11 and have noticed no change at all

mckinnj

Awards

1) why me is same i thought. in my case i was only 18 wen it started, just imagine...over time u kinda except it and just pray for the day to come when everything is normal

2) there can be multiple reasons why it shuts down. in my case, i beleive that my immune system was shot and strep throat for two weeks just completely depressed my adrenals

3) Nolva and/or Clomid are the two most used ways of trying to restart the hpta. these are what steroid use at the end of a cycle. clomid has some bad effects on guys so Nolvadex is what is used more often

4) as far as i know HGC will not help bring your hpta system back. it will help your testicles produce some natural test and some sperm, but it actually hinders the hpta if ur goal is to bring it back (i may be wrong)

Nolvadex

20mg per day for 1 week

10mg per day for 1 week

Did Dr. John say how long it would take to notice improvement? Did he say this is the only way to restart your hpta?

Thanks

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i dont see how you can restart the HPTA unless you shut it down again first.

i believe that is all i am allowed to say on the issue

mckinnj

Awards
i dont see how you can restart the HPTA unless you shut it down again first.

i believe that is all i am allowed to say on the issue
Can't you elaborate on that subject? Men who are on TRT are shut down the same as people who took steroids. I'm not looking for info on steroids, rather ways to recover a screwed up hormone profile- just like everyone else on this forum.

Why do you need to shut down your hpta to jump start it? If a guy is off testosterone for months and he is not feeling "normal", but his levels are decent, maybe he has not achieved a "normal" level yet. Couldn't one try to jump start his hpta to function better?

Thanks

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Nolvadex

20mg per day for 1 week

10mg per day for 1 week

Looks like, (possibly) there is another way to restart:
HCG 250IU EOD
HMG 50IU (or little more) EOD
for 30 days.

===========================================

mckinnj

Awards
Looks like, (possibly) there is another way to restart:
HCG 250IU EOD
HMG 50IU (or little more) EOD
for 30 days.

===========================================
I haven't read about anyone recovering hpta on those doses of hcg- I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Most of the posts I've read about restarting hpta were done using crazy amounts of hcg (5,000 iu's e3d). Has anyone come across a thread where someone has restarted with lower doses of hcg or know anyone who has? What does hmg add to the mix that hcg can't do alone?

Thanks

fit4life05

Awards
Did Dr. John say how long it would take to notice improvement? Did he say this is the only way to restart your hpta?

Thanks
Nope, but I think I remember reading that 12 days is when most start to notice anything

anyman

Awards
  • Established
I'm bumping this to see how "fotforlife" is making out on his attempt to restart

his HPTA. Any news? Progress?

I would give anything to find a way to get my natural functions working on their own....

SufferingEd

SufferingEd

Awards
  • Established
I am new to all this and though I have done a lot of resaerch I have not hear of hpta. Can some one tell me what this is and how it effects your T levels or if it effects your prolactin levels? What test do you do for it.

Anyman--I have noticed that it seems like a lot of people who are fit fall into secondary hypo for some reason. I am a marathoner, and before that I was into bodybuilding. Right now I do not have much drive for either.

anyman

Awards
  • Established
I am no expert by far, but understand the HPTA to be (m)

the hypothalmic (sp?)-pituitary-testicular axis. In other words, it's the cyclical system in your body which regulates the production and level of sex hormones.

I understand that I am suffering from secondary hypogonadism, which is an interruption or defect in this chemical process. My testicles appear to work--it's the messages to and from my brain that are mixed up or missing.

My biggest fear is that TRT will PERMANENTLY shut down my body's ability to produce and T and related chemicals thus making me utterly dependent on artificial meds for life. I cannot stand being dependent on anything. Think aboiut it- once you start on the TRT ride there is no getting off, even if medicine advances in the coming years. This is why I am so hesitant to start without full research and info.

fit4life05

Awards
his HPTA. Any news? Progress?

I would give anything to find a way to get my natural functions working on their own....
On day 15 and I feel just as I did on day 1. If I dont notice even a slight change in anything within a week I might just call it off and see if Dr J will let me go straight to TRT

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I have spent, quite literally, HOURS researching testosterone and issues relating thereto. Amazing what one can learn when one's testicles are at issue!

Since most "mainstream" docs seem painfully unware of the HPTA axis and only want to prescribe Androgel without a clue or care about the long term effects I started research. I get the distinctions between primary & secondary hypogonadism and note most guys seem to be complaining of secondary. Count me in this camp- my testicles work, but aren't getting the right signals from the brain.

Here is what I don't get: Why isn't there more info on restarting the body's OWN functioning? Why are so many ordinary doctors only interested in a simplistic approach? In short, is it even possible to restart the HPTA? This assumes, of course, that there is no tumor or other similar factor at play. If this is possible, how can it be done?
Were you doing Steroids if not and your Primary or Seconday you can't start the HPTA.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Really? Can you explain on this?
Simple how do you restart something that is working. Most I will not say all but I want to. Most men with low T that never did Steroids of drugs are not shut down. So how do you restart something that is working. If you are Primare low T this means your testis are not putting out. If your secondary this means your Pituitary is not sending enough messages to the testis LH to make more T. What does this have to do with the HPTA.

What Is The Hypothalamus?
An integral part of the limbic system, the hypothalamus is involved in regulation of the internal milieu of the body or, said another way, for homeostatic control.
It does that by means of its neuroendocrine role in conjunction with the pituitary gland as well as by its influence on the the autonomic nervous system, which helps regulate body temperature, the cardiovascular system, and food and water intake.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I've never done any steroid or other drugs.
The best I can come out with is:
Test your response over three months period, do daily shots of
100IU -- HCG
50IU ---HMG
below are some names to choose from.
I think you could use
Novarel (HCG)
Pergonal (HMG)
any other would do the same.
That at least would give you a chance and piece of mind that you have done your due diligence.
As far as I know the above should not hurt you.
Not sure, possibly you could benefit if in the first week you use double of above doses.

PharmaCare - Fertility Clinical Resource | Infertility Medication: Brand vs. Generic1-00

Pregnyl®, Profasi®, and Novarel® all contain HCG or human chorionic gonadotropin. HCG is a hormone used to induce ovulation in women who are unable to ovulate on their own. It works by helping to release the egg from the follicle, usually following administration of FSH.

HMG stands for human menopausal gonadotropins, which helps to stimulate follicular growth and maturation. Humegon®, Pergonal®, and Repronex® contain HMG and are typically used in combination with HCG to induce ovulation. These medications are also prescribed for men who have insufficient quantity or quality of sperm due to hormonal abnormalities.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
my experiences w/ growth-hormone releasers (link to log in sig, below) suggests that the HTPA may be re-startable, but I'm no doc, & make no recommendations.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
my experiences w/ growth-hormone releasers (link to log in sig, below) suggests that the HTPA may be re-startable, but I'm no doc, & make no recommendations.
Would you like to sign your message (with the link you promised).

george362

Awards
Mainsdtream docs and the HPTA Axis

Mainstream docs do not promote health, they do what they are trained to do....dispense drugs. You would have to consult an antiaging doctor to get some help with this issue.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Mainstream docs do not promote health, they do what they are trained to do....dispense drugs. You would have to consult an antiaging doctor to get some help with this issue.
Still only a few even look past hormones, but hormones are old school thinking, Now the good drs are looking for what caused the expression of hormones to happen....Mainly in the <40 crowd, but still older people need the wellness approach vs the bandaid approch.