best meds for insulin resistance

D

Dutch Buster

Awards
wich is the best meds for cure insulin resistance ?

i now have metformine but i read that the liver makes less glucose from fatts this makes it imposible to lose weight !

and i want to lose a lot. this is second week of metformine i gained 7 kg :eek: in one week.

W

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Not according to my doctor. I was eating plenty of sugary and refined carbs when I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. I went to the "eat food the way God made it" diet and lost 30 pounds. When I stray from that, it the fat goes back up.

Please cite me some research that meat and good fats cause insulin resistance.

By the way, I never suggested a ketogenic diet. Suggesting meats and good fats did not in any way imply no vegetables, some friends, and occasional grains.

H

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
question stays wich is the bets med ?
Meds are a replacement for life style chances, proper eating and lack of stress reduction.

High insulin is usually indicitive of cellular stress related from one of the above adding in (enviorment, chemical, emotional, infection, minreal imbalances) and lack of vitamin D is a BIGGGY

T

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Hardasnails is right, and Vitamin D3 (oil based vit D) is one of the best answers to help keep insulin resistance in check.

Dutch Buster,

If you're willing to spend the time working out why can't you spend the time learning healthy lifestyle changes rather than grabbing a quick fix of a drug (most of which have nasty sides in there somewhere) from a doctor you become dependent on for prescriptions.

First learn what the glycemic index is and avoid high glycemic foods most of the time, except for immediately after you exercise hard. Then find out what supplements you can buy over the counter to keep insulin resistance in check.
These supplements will also help you build lean hard muscle, even if you want the drugs as some sort of short-cut to muscle growth.

Are you looking for insulin resistance drugs for some kind of muscle building short-cut? If so, I'm curious about what you've been told, and what you expect from the drugs?

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure how you guys can be advising a fellow not to take meds without knowing anything about his health history.

Everyone is different.

I use Avandamet, and I never gained any weight. Or if I did, due to the med, it was overshadowed by the weight lost by living right and excercizing right.

R-ALA is one supplement that directly affects my BG, by the way, and I take it a few times per day.

Ask your doctor if it is worth trying a healthy lifestyle over medication. Carbs are your enemy. Forever ditch sugars and white carbs.

Regards,
R

D

Dutch Buster

Awards
thanks all,

i am in tressted in the GI index but alot of charts are diffrent.

my doc says the first thing to do was change your diet no bread white flour sugar etc.
paleo style eat like a caveman

no i have found a recepi to change with bread

bake pancakes with kikkererwtenmeel (sorry dutch word i could not find english word)

GI index of 35 alot better then oatmeal and bread.

i take ala not r ala is there so much diffrence ? wich brand is best ?

o and there was a question to build muscle with metformine no that is not what i want from the drugs
i have a problem with high insuline levels and need to lower them.

D

Dutch Buster

Awards
Hardasnails is right, and Vitamin D3 (oil based vit D) is one of the best answers to help keep insulin resistance in check.

Dutch Buster,

If you're willing to spend the time working out why can't you spend the time learning healthy lifestyle changes rather than grabbing a quick fix of a drug (most of which have nasty sides in there somewhere) from a doctor you become dependent on for prescriptions.

First learn what the glycemic index is and avoid high glycemic foods most of the time, except for immediately after you exercise hard. Then find out what supplements you can buy over the counter to keep insulin resistance in check.
These supplements will also help you build lean hard muscle, even if you want the drugs as some sort of short-cut to muscle growth.

Are you looking for insulin resistance drugs for some kind of muscle building short-cut? If so, I'm curious about what you've been told, and what you expect from the drugs?
wich supplements ?

W

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Regarding D3 from oil, does the Vit. D in Cod Liver Oil count?

Is the Vitamin D found in tablets (not oil) something other than cholecalciferol?

T

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
wich supplements ?
I don't know about in Holland, but in the U.S. many doctors are way behind the curve when it comes to preventive medicine. First, you must find a good, even excellent doctor. You must do what you need to do to learn, and begin to assume some responsibility for yourself, then you will KNOW if your doctor is up to snuff and can help beyond crisis management. Of course, someone who has had high blood sugar for a long time may have damaged their bodies to the degree that they will always need drugs to control it -- insulin shots at some point.

If blood sugar is out of control, then get medication to stabalize it. Then look for all the stuff you can find to help the medication out so if possible you can reduce the amount needed or even get away from it.

Stay away from not just refined carbs, but bad fats as well -- saturated and trans-fats. The good fats incude fish oil (Pharmaceutical Grade is best, but expensive), and high qualitity extra virgin olive oil. A few other oils are healthy too. Whole flax seed is better than flax seed oil. Make sure you get plenty of fiber in your diet, and the best fiber is soluble fiber, and the best of those has plenty of beta-d-gucans in it.

You may not have to worry about high-fructose corn surup in Holland, but in America it's in everything, and it's very bad for blood sugar, much worse than sugar and cannot be handled well by the body even after hard exercise.

Yes, r-ala is great, but even regular ala backed up with about 1 mg of biotin for every 200 - 300 mg of ala is good too.

There are a number of herbs that help including Cinnamon Extract (but many others help a little). Chromium at about 200 mcg a day reduces blood sugar in many by about 8%.

Recent studies have pointed to not just high-dose vitamin D3 is important, but also vitamin K2 (as opposed to regular vitamin K1) works in sychronicity with the D3 to regulate calcium in the body, and this is very important to people with Syndrome X or the pre-diabetic state now so common. Diabetes II is being investigated heavily as a screw up of the body's calcium metabolism. the combination of vitamin D3 (oil-based) and K2 (MK-7 form) keeps calcium away from where it should not be (on the artery walls or in bone spurs for example), and directs it where it should be (in the bones density and in the blood).

Beta-d-glucans are a topic in themselves, and something like avena sativa, which can have over 50% of the total weight be these wonderful glucans is very healthy for someone with high blood sugar. An it might be worth investigating the super health factor of the medicinal mushrooms out there including, reishi, shiitake, maitake, cordyceps, agaricus blazei, and turkey tail -- all of these range from high to very high in beta-d-glucans and they regulate (not stimulate) your immune system to a much better level than normal.

:gotsearch

To Wildfox, Yes, the D in cod liver oil counts.

D

Dutch Buster

Awards
if you had read all my posts then you knew i have a great doc.

but self education is important ....

ala i already take,.,

with lost of others..

found the name for kikkererwrtenpannekoeken it is ROTI for the antillen GI of 35

I don't know about in Holland, but in the U.S. many doctors are way behind the curve when it comes to preventive medicine. First, you must find a good, even excellent doctor. You must do what you need to do to learn, and begin to assume some responsibility for yourself, then you will KNOW if your doctor is up to snuff and can help beyond crisis management. Of course, someone who has had high blood sugar for a long time may have damaged their bodies to the degree that they will always need drugs to control it -- insulin shots at some point.

If blood sugar is out of control, then get medication to stabalize it. Then look for all the stuff you can find to help the medication out so if possible you can reduce the amount needed or even get away from it.

Stay away from not just refined carbs, but bad fats as well -- saturated and trans-fats. The good fats incude fish oil (Pharmaceutical Grade is best, but expensive), and high qualitity extra virgin olive oil. A few other oils are healthy too. Whole flax seed is better than flax seed oil. Make sure you get plenty of fiber in your diet, and the best fiber is soluble fiber, and the best of those has plenty of beta-d-gucans in it.

You may not have to worry about high-fructose corn surup in Holland, but in America it's in everything, and it's very bad for blood sugar, much worse than sugar and cannot be handled well by the body even after hard exercise.

Yes, r-ala is great, but even regular ala backed up with about 1 mg of biotin for every 200 - 300 mg of ala is good too.

There are a number of herbs that help including Cinnamon Extract (but many others help a little). Chromium at about 200 mcg a day reduces blood sugar in many by about 8%.

Recent studies have pointed to not just high-dose vitamin D3 is important, but also vitamin K2 (as opposed to regular vitamin K1) works in sychronicity with the D3 to regulate calcium in the body, and this is very important to people with Syndrome X or the pre-diabetic state now so common. Diabetes II is being investigated heavily as a screw up of the body's calcium metabolism. the combination of vitamin D3 (oil-based) and K2 (MK-7 form) keeps calcium away from where it should not be (on the artery walls or in bone spurs for example), and directs it where it should be (in the bones density and in the blood).

Beta-d-glucans are a topic in themselves, and something like avena sativa, which can have over 50% of the total weight be these wonderful glucans is very healthy for someone with high blood sugar. An it might be worth investigating the super health factor of the medicinal mushrooms out there including, reishi, shiitake, maitake, cordyceps, agaricus blazei, and turkey tail -- all of these range from high to very high in beta-d-glucans and they regulate (not stimulate) your immune system to a much better level than normal.

:gotsearch

S

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
another thing to check is to see if you also have underlying adrenal fatigue. screwed up cortisol levels will play havoc on blood sugar levels.

D

Dutch Buster

Awards
another thing to check is to see if you also have underlying adrenal fatigue. screwed up cortisol levels will play havoc on blood sugar levels.
i have:

adrenall fatique--- hydrocortisone dhea
low testorone -----test cyp armidex
low igf -----rhgh
low vit d --vit d amps
low vit b12 --- b12 tabs
low cholesterol--- omega 3
low blood-----iron
low thyroid-- armour silenium
high insulin ----metformine ala
low sertonine dopamine ---5htp

others i take:
slymarin
vit a
vit e
q10
multi vit
cordyceps
digist enzyms
magnesium

so lost of problems are treated energy is 1000% better now get rid of the FATT

i eat very low carb ft3 is over the top of the range and still not losing weight even gain weight !
started this week with roti.

need to lose 20Kg :donut:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Actos is one thats main action is to increase insulin sensitivety. Januvia is a new one that I am seeing prescribed more often.

Meds are a replacement for life style chances, proper eating and lack of stress reduction.

High insulin is usually indicitive of cellular stress related from one of the above adding in (enviorment, chemical, emotional, infection, minreal imbalances) and lack of vitamin D is a BIGGGY
Meat and good fats cause insulin resistance..
ketogenic diet induces it
I would like to see any evidence that supports either of these statements.

T

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Did not know that. Got any references?
Dr. Crisler,

I came here mainly to lurk in the background and learn, it wasn't my intention to post here at all. I want to suck up knowledge for myself and a few friends and relatives. I read information on a leading midwestern cardiologists website. I've had some bad health problems two years ago, most of which I've overcome or reduced significantly. I gone from a 355 pound 56 year old to a 230 pound 58 Year old. I could only bench press 120 pounds before, now I can bench 270 (and I have done a set of 4 leg presses with 880 pounds to parallel). I had a resting morning heart rate 80 bpm before, now it's 48 bpm (and no beta blockers, thank you).

I've got some work to do though. I'd like to get 15% stronger in the next year, and even though I can now run up 6-8 flights of stairs without getting winded, I want more.

I would like to lose another 45 pounds in the next 2 years and retain LBM. My main focus of learning has been on the sister forum to this one on GH/IGF-1/R3. If I can strengthen tendons, ligaments, joints, and bone density -- there will be no problem for me adding strength.

But here is a quote on Vitamin D, there are many more, and there really is a number of scientific studies on the wonderful synergy between D3 and K2. My interests are practical, finding out what works for me and some people I care about, I don't have anything to promote or care whether anyone follows up on my advice. I put stuff out, rarely, so people can go check these things out for themselves. I have little stake in copying tons of scientic data (and even then, large amounts of so called science is weak to outright trash because of who pays for the experiments and just how the experiments are designed).

Quote by Dr. John Cannell:

"Vitamin D, previously regarded (ignored) as only a risk for childhood rickets, is now being increasingly recognized as a crucial modulator of numerous body processes. Low vitamin D levels are epidemic and a major contributor to hypertension, diabetes, cancer (esp. prostate and colon), and heart disease."

Dr. John Cannell is founder of the non-profit Vitamin D Council.

Going back to lurking.... and learning....

Respectfully,

Tuberman

P.S. BTW, test is one of the best solutions to lowering high Lipoprotein(a), which is one of the nastist contributors to artery wall plaque and progressive heart disease, and it also tends to make small LDL into large LDL, another very important factor, but you already knew that, I figure.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
i have:

adrenall fatique--- hydrocortisone dhea
low testorone -----test cyp armidex
low igf -----rhgh
low vit d --vit d amps
low vit b12 --- b12 tabs
low cholesterol--- omega 3
low blood-----iron
low thyroid-- armour silenium
high insulin ----metformine ala
low sertonine dopamine ---5htp

others i take:
slymarin
vit a
vit e
q10
multi vit
cordyceps
digist enzyms
magnesium

so lost of problems are treated energy is 1000% better now get rid of the FATT

i eat very low carb ft3 is over the top of the range and still not losing weight even gain weight !
started this week with roti.

need to lose 20Kg :donut:
CLA

W

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
(A brilliant post abbreviated)
Eating natural foods, raw if possible, is a good way to lower blood sugar as well ;-) Not popular though, and of course pharmaceutical companies don't make as much money when we eat healthy food.

In the USA, most food is produced to make a few people rich, not really to make anyone healthy. Over-stimulated? Yes. Healthy and fit? No.

Tuberman, if every American knew what you said above, and put it to practice, there'd be a lot less sick/fat people in the USA.

I grew up in Asia. Unfortunately when I moved back to the USA, I got sucked into the caffeinated sugary food madness (and booze) in my 20's and really screwed myself up. Now I'm making up for lost years.

W

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Unless you have, for instance a GI bleed that saps blood--and therefore iron--very very few men should take iron. The vast majority actually have an iron overload, which oxidizes and contributes to cardiovascular disease.

Testosterone is STILL the best treatment for anemia in adult males. Especially since the problems with EPO have come to be known.
Dr. Crisler, by "EPO" are you referring to Erythropoietin or Evening Primrose Oil?

(For those that don't know, Erythropoietin is normally made in the kidneys, but a synthetic version is administered to those with anemia due to chronic kidney failure. The synthetic version has also been abused, aka "doping", to increase red blood cell count for increased athletic performance. It's dangerous because it increases blood viscosity, clogging capillaries, causing stroke, heart attack, etc. Hence the danger.)

D

Dutch Buster

Awards
Unless you have, for instance a GI bleed that saps blood--and therefore iron--very very few men should take iron. The vast majority actually have an iron overload, which oxidizes and contributes to cardiovascular disease.

Testosterone is STILL the best treatment for anemia in adult males. Especially since the problems with EPO have come to be known.
and if iron serum levels are on the low side ?

and hematocrite on upper side ?

wich drug is best for insuline resistence ? and lose weight ?

R

RPHMark

Awards
Normally metformin induces substantial weight loss in insulin resistant pts. A new (very expensive) drug called Byetta has shown excellent result as well, with very few side effects (actually have not had pts with any SE show up yet) and sometimes great weight loss. It is an injection though. I second the cinnamon extract and chromium, as well as adding gymnea sylvestre.

B

bobbyn

Awards
Do you guys have any experience using byetta as an alternative for slin for bb purposes?

my blood glucose level is up and at the same time i have be thinking about using slin to help put some mass on

thanks
bocb

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys have any experience using byetta as an alternative for slin for bb purposes?

my blood glucose level is up and at the same time i have be thinking about using slin to help put some mass on

thanks
bocb
Bob;
My glucose is slightly elevated also.

I am having high hopes in Genova's

NutrEval 24hr

tests and the corrective action afterward.

NutrEval is a set of nutritional tests, that deals with glucose and insuline misalingnments, among other.

http://www.gdx.net/home/assessments/findsystems/nutrition.html

http://www.gdx.net/home/assessments/nutreval/index.html

The NutrEval profile consists of:

Metabolic Analysis
measuring 39 key organic acids to evaluate gastrointestinal function, cellular energy production, neurotransmitter processing, and functional need for vitamins, minerals, and co-factors.

Amino Acid analysis
measuring 38 amino acids to evaluate dietary protein adequacy, digestion, absorption, amino acid transport, metabolic impairments, and nutritional deficits; including essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

Essential & Metabolic Fatty Acid assessment
measures the levels of fatty acids in red blood cell membranes that affect cellular communication and the inflammatory cascade.

Elemental analysis in red blood cells
is a reliable means to identify short-term toxic metal exposure and to evaluate intracellular nutrient mineral status.

Oxidative Stress analysis
is a sensitive tool to evaluate the body’s anti-oxidant reserves and the presence of oxidative injury