Low Testo..Should I take Androgel?

raw1973

Awards
I've recently posted with questions regarding Hashimotos and thyroid, plus saliva tests showed fatigued adrenals.
I had doctor test Free and total test, Estradiol, DHT, ( been taking finasteride for 7-8 yrs ) LH, FSH,
Results:

Test total: 326 (250-1100)
Free test: 72 (35-155)
DHT 13 (25-75)
Estradiol, ultra sensative 23 (< or = to 29)
LH 3.4 (1.5-9.3)
FSH 2.4 (1.6-8.0)

My Doctor gave me a script for Androgel 5%
and said to come back in a month for bloodwork. I asked him about any AI's with androgel and he said it was fine alone. The lab request had Free and total test only( i don't think he's very experienced with the pathways and side effects, and isn't testing DHT and Estradiol again ) I quit taking propecia so DHT should come up and possibly combat high estrogen. ( would this increase Testosterone?)
I was hoping to work with Dr. John when he moved to S.F., but don't think I can wait and this Doctor is not willing to work with another D.O. ( very bullheaded )

christopher

Awards
  • Established
might not be important, but what kinda results did you get from the propecia..?

raw1973

Awards
I maintained my hair while all other male family members went bald. But i'm also thinking this could have caused my hormone imbalance. Plus, i think it caused slight gyno, looking at hormone profile now, I'm not surprised.
I don't want the androgel to make it worse.

christopher

Awards
  • Established
when you say maintained, you mean all of it..?

Where were you on the NW scale, and where are you now..?

And how old are you, if you dont mind my asking.....?

What other treatments for hairlosss did you use..?

raw1973

Awards
One other question:
I've seen others say to test adrenals and thyroid before taking testosterone, Would my low cortisol levels and hashimotos be causing the low test levels? Or is it to rule out a pituitary problem?
Should I take the Androgel anyway? I guess I could write DHT and Estradiol on next lab request myself.
( I wonder if doc would remember he only requested Free and total Test) Any suggestions?

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
One other question:
I've seen others say to test adrenals and thyroid before taking testosterone, Would my low cortisol levels and hashimotos be causing the low test levels? Or is it to rule out a pituitary problem?
Should I take the Androgel anyway? I guess I could write DHT and Estradiol on next lab request myself.
( the doctor would probably get pretty upset) Any suggestions?
You could hae those other tests, but T will change everything. So testing after T is stable will provide a better picture of your status.

If your pituitary is not generating enough LH, you still have to do TRT to address the T problem. We do not have your age.

The TRT, it if works and transdermals do not for some, then your testes will shrink, for some this also creates an ache 24x7. This is a QOL and fertility issue. HCG will keep the testes working. HCG is a peptide hormone, injected and refrigerated. SC injections work well. Some inject IM, but that is not needed.

When on TRT, testing for LH and FSH will simply prove that you are shutdown or that the transdermal is not working.

DHT is important for libido and the health and function of the testes and penis. Using drugs to suppress DHT levels can create libido problems. This has been part of your symptoms. You can still use the shampoo products that fight the action of DHT in the scalp. TD's can create higher levels of DHT and E than injected T.

Small doses of TD's can fail to increase T, sometimes decrease T and make one feel worse. Everyone is different. Some are TD non-responders. So keep notes about what happens and how you feel... over time. That is important.

raw1973

Awards
You say small doses of TD's can lower test, Do you mean to say that 5mg of androgel is small. This is new to me so I'm wondering do people generally titrate up to 7.5mg and 10mg or can the 5mg be enough? I'm 34 yrs old.:) Thanks-Rob

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
You say small doses of TD's can lower test, Do you mean to say that 5mg of androgel is small. This is new to me so I'm wondering do people generally titrate up to 7.5mg and 10mg or can the 5mg be enough? I'm 34 yrs old.:) Thanks-Rob
With injections, you know what the absorbed dose will be; it is 100%. But transdermals are a nominal 10% absorption. For some, much less is absorbed. So that is a whole new unknown. Yes, folks take more when the BW shows the need. Some switch to injections.

If you absorb 5mg, you need to compare that to the typical figure of 10mg of test production per day in healthy young men. The typical starting dose of injected T is 100mg/wk, which delivers 70mg/wk.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
With injections, you know what the absorbed dose will be; it is 100%. But transdermals are a nominal 10% absorption. For some, much less is absorbed. So that is a whole new unknown. Yes, folks take more when the BW shows the need. Some switch to injections.

If you absorb 5mg, you need to compare that to the typical figure of 10mg of test production per day in healthy young men. The typical starting dose of injected T is 100mg/wk, which delivers 70mg/wk.
After being on t creame at 50 grams a day my balls have shrung and i was wondering if going on HCG 100 ius would help them recovery and also raise up my total test levels. I am noticing by taking fish oils and DIM my facial hair is growing at alot faster rate then it was about 2 weeks ago probably helping with estrogen metabolism which is out of balance.

Could changing the alterations of bad:good estrogen actually raise not only free testosterone but also total testosterone as well due to removing the unwanted estrogen flooding the hypothalamus and other glands. i need a urine test to prove this but my elevated Lp(A) levels are defintely telling me that my androgenic/anabolic ratio is way off and could be representative of excessive estrogen/testosterone ratio

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
After being on t creame at 50 grams a day my balls have shrung and i was wondering if going on HCG 100 ius would help them recovery and also raise up my total test levels. I am noticing by taking fish oils and DIM my facial hair is growing at alot faster rate then it was about 2 weeks ago probably helping with estrogen metabolism which is out of balance.

Could changing the alterations of bad:good estrogen actually raise not only free testosterone but also total testosterone as well due to removing the unwanted estrogen flooding the hypothalamus and other glands. i need a urine test to prove this but my elevated Lp(A) levels are defintely telling me that my androgenic/anabolic ratio is way off and could be representative of excessive estrogen/testosterone ratio
When you are shutdown, that is it. Various E levels will not make the shutdown any different. So the effects of E are to increase SHBG [that lowers FT] and the E also interferes with the action of T on the T receptors. E also is bad for the prostate, worse than T. Yes, E production also consumes T. I do not understand anything about Lp(A). E has huge effects on libido, sexual performance and sensitivity. The morning wood test seems to be the best indicator of whats going on.

When E is lowered, sexual effects can be obvious in 7-10 days. Other changes to mood and energy can continue to accumulate over a period of 2-3 months. This observation time does have implications for judging the effects of AI drugs or DIM etc.

HCG will return the testes to your normal size and allow them to hang normally too. 250iu SQ EOD is another dose to consider. There is no need to inject ED as the 1/2 life does not demand ED. Many report an improvement in mood with the HCG. HCG can be cheap, 10,000iu for $16.25 at Sam's with a business membership. Yes, the HCG will cause production of your own T and that will be additive to your dose. Note that there is also aromatase in the testes and they produce some E when they are working.