Anyone here ever added in Selegerline w/ HRT?

willis3

Awards
I have read that Selegeline has the ability to, at very low dose (1-2 mg daily), help aid in an increase of base testosterone levels. Dr. John, or anyone else that knows or has experience with this med. please correct me if I am misinformed.

Basically I wanted to know if anyone here had ever taken Selegeline and if so, what was your experience?

I'm interested in it not only for it's potential to support testosterone levels but also for it's possible neuroprotective benefits (protecting the dopamine neurons from oxidative stress, maintaining a higher dopamine concentration in the brain through (at low dose) it's selective inhibition of only MAO-B and not MAO-A. I've also heard that it can reduce cortisol and has been used for cushings. Does this mean that it is not a good idea to take if you have adrenal fatigue? I don't think I need any less cortisol, I already seem to have a pretty rough time waking up in the morning. When taken with Acetyl L Carnitine it supposedly helps to improve the dopamine & acteylcholine function in the brain. Any feedback is always greatly appreciated.

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
I have read that Selegeline has the ability to, at very low dose (1-2 mg daily), help aid in an increase of base testosterone levels. Dr. John, or anyone else that knows or has experience with this med. please correct me if I am misinformed.

Basically I wanted to know if anyone here had ever taken Selegeline and if so, what was your experience?

I'm interested in it not only for it's potential to support testosterone levels but also for it's possible neuroprotective benefits (protecting the dopamine neurons from oxidative stress, maintaining a higher dopamine concentration in the brain through (at low dose) it's selective inhibition of only MAO-B and not MAO-A. I've also heard that it can reduce cortisol and has been used for cushings. Does this mean that it is not a good idea to take if you have adrenal fatigue? I don't think I need any less cortisol, I already seem to have a pretty rough time waking up in the morning. When taken with Acetyl L Carnitine it supposedly helps to improve the dopamine & acteylcholine function in the brain. Any feedback is always greatly appreciated.
I tried it for about a month. Didn't do much for me. You have to be careful of any drug interactions as well as interactions with L-tyramine (mainly from aged cheese).

willis3

Awards
I tried it for about a month. Didn't do much for me. You have to be careful of any drug interactions as well as interactions with L-tyramine (mainly from aged cheese).
What was the dose you were taking? did you happen to get a blood test while you were on it to see if your hormone (particularly testosterone and cortisol, e2) were effected? Did you notice any negative side effects? Were you on HRT at the time, or meds? Thanks

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
What was the dose you were taking? did you happen to get a blood test while you were on it to see if your hormone (particularly testosterone and cortisol, e2) were effected? Did you notice any negative side effects? Were you on HRT at the time, or meds? Thanks
5mg. Cortisol and thyroid tests during that time were normal. I was on HRT, and the only negative side effect that I could tell was that I was less patient than usual. I didn't notice any positive effect after a month so I stopped taking it.

psimonkey

Awards
Not so, selegiline is an MAO b inhibitor not an MAO a inhibitor(unless taken at around 25mgs pe day in some people).

willis3

Awards
You would not likely have any issues at the low dose currently employed in Anti-Aging Medicine. if considering such therapy, discuss with your physician.Yes I was only thinking of talking to my doc about doing very low dose, like 2.5 mg twice per week. As far as preparation goes I have seen some conflicting evidence in regards to liquid form (sublingual)/ transdermal form (patch)/ and then pill form. I don't wish to wear a patch. Anybody ever taken pill and/or liquid form? Dr.John? Do you have a preference or is this something that you generally find yourself having to prescribe very often? Thanks very much.

willis3

Awards
obviously that first part is supposed to be Dr.Johns quote. Guess thats what can happen when I try to do three things at once and watch the ncaa tournament lol