New member of the Low T brotherhood

lowesclubmake

Awards
Feeling extremely fatigued all the time. Muscles get so tired they can quiver after going up a couple flights of stairs.

41 year old.

Here are the test numbers I have so far. Total Estrogen result (which I had to ask for) is coming next week.

2/13
----
Vit B12 571 (200-1100)
cortisol 19.3 (4.3 - 22.4)
prolactin 15.5 (2.0 - 18.0)
TSH 1.9 (.4-5.5)
Magnesium 1.9 (1.5 - 2.5)

2/19
----
Andrenocorticotropin 20 (7-50)
Cortisol 10.3 (4.3 -22.4)
T-Total 369 (241-827)
TSH 1.8 (.4-5.5)
Growth Hormone .2 (<10)

2/26
----
LH 5.3 (1.5-9.3)
FSH 3.0 (1.6 - 8.0)
T-Free 20 (46-224)
T-BioAvail 44 (110 - 575)
T- Total 301 (250-1100)
SHBG 70 (8-46)
cortisol 17.6 (4.3 - 22.4)

I started on the patch thursday (really as more of a test to see if I can start feeling better). The out of whack results (total/free/bioavail T and SHBG) are pretty obvious. What other tests do I need to ask the Endo to run? Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Feeling extremely fatigued all the time. Muscles get so tired they can quiver after going up a couple flights of stairs.

41 year old.

Here are the test numbers I have so far. Total Estrogen result (which I had to ask for) is coming next week.

2/13
----
Vit B12 571 (200-1100)
cortisol 19.3 (4.3 - 22.4)
TSH 1.9 (.4-5.5)
Magnesium 1.9 (1.5 - 2.5)

2/19
----
Andrenocorticotropin 20 (7-50)
Cortisol 10.3 (4.3 -22.4)
T-Total 369 (241-827)
TSH 1.8 (.4-5.5)
Growth Hormone .2 (<10)

2/26
----
LH 5.3 (1.5-9.3)
FSH 3.0 (1.6 - 8.0)
T-Free 20 (46-224)
T-BioAvail 44 (110 - 575)
T- Total 301 (250-1100)
SHBG 70 (8-46)
cortisol 17.6 (4.3 - 22.4)

I started on the patch thursday (really as more of a test to see if I can start feeling better). The out of whack results (total/free/bioavail T and SHBG) are pretty obvious. What other tests do I need to ask the Endo to run? Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys
Your SHBG is very VERY high, also prolactin.
Drop apatch, use Tcream from womensinternational.com
100mg/1gram, use 1 gram daily (you will lower it latter)
Use 100IU/day of HCG, Novarel, to support present T production
Get thyroid tested, specially FreeT3 and DHEA
============================================
Check your diet.
Are you eating enough proteins?
That could influence SHBG
Le Magazine, February 2004 - Cover Story: Testosterone Attacked By The Media
============================================
My list for blood test at Quest Diagnostics, (they also draw my blood):
Complete metabolic Panel
Hepatic Function Panel
Lipid Panel
CBC

Total Estrogens
estrone
Estradiol, sensitive
Progesterone
Pregnenolone
Total Testosterone
Free Testosterone (calculated)
Bio-available Testosterone (calculated)
Albumin
sex hormone–binding globulin (SHBG), serum
DHT (dihydrotestosterone)
Hematocrit
prolactin, serum
FSH (3rd Generation)
LH
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
Free (T3) triiodothyroxine
Free T4
Total T4
Total T3
DHEA Sulfate
Cortisol, AM/PM
SOMATOMEDIN C (IGF-1)
IGF-BP3
C-reactive protein (high-sensitivity)
Fibrinogen
Hemoglobin A1C
Lp(a) lipoprotein
Bilirubin
AST (SGOT)
ALT(SGPT)
VLDL
Homocysteine
Insulin, fasting
Glucose, plasma
Magnesium
Vitamin D, 1, 25-Dihydroxy
Folate
Vitamin A
Ferritin
B12, selenium, zinc, copper
Free PSA
FreePSA/Total PSA
aldosterone
Estradiol, Bioavailable

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
See above.
Quote:
PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE YOU SEE ELEVATED PROLACTIN.

==========
Blood Testing Protocols - Page 4 Of 5: Online References For Health Concerns
Prolactin
This test is used to assess inappropriate lactation and is also useful in the detection of prolactin-secreting pituitary tumors. Elevated prolactin is associated with anovulation and amenorrhea. Prolactin can also be elevated in hypothyroidism when TSH is high. Some studies indicate that elevated prolactin may promote breast and prostate cancer growth.

Reference Ranges:
Men: 2.1–17.7 ng/mL

LE’s Optimal Range: 2.1–5 ng/mL

lowesclubmake

Awards
You need a full work-up. This is not likely due to low T only.

On a statin drug?
Thanks for weighing in Dr. John. I'm trying to figure out either a doc local to me that will consult with you, or how to get there for first appointment. I've stopped traveling since mid-Dec because of all this (not a great thing since my job requires about 80% travel - if I don't get a handle on this soon I will either lose my job or have to go on disability). Do you have a ballpark idea what the waiting time is to get an appointment?

Cholesterol Drugs
Why was that the first thing to come to your mind? I have read some stuff about its interaction with the liver and elevations of SHBG. Is this likely to cause the elevated SHBG? What else could cause that?

I was prescripted Tricor (not a statin) in March 2006 in an attempt to better balance my ldl/hdl levels.

I was taking this along with lipitor which I had been taking for many years. I stopped the lipitor on Feb 24, primarily due to some new studies that show a link between statins and testicle pain.

I have been suffering with an unexplained pain in one testicle since Dec. Sometimes the pain is so bad I can't even walk. My instinct tells me there has to be some relationship to the hormone imbalance/low T, but every doc has said no. I've been on antibiotics, had the sonograms and cts, wear jock straps all the time, etc. Next step is scheduled for next week - a nerve block injection. I'm really NOT looking forward to that one!!!!! If anyone knows of a hormonal link to this pain (or has any other ideas) I would be quite grateful if it applies to me.

My idea with the patch was not to use this as a long-term solution, but just a relatively quick test to see what happens if we can get the free-T up a bit higher.

When I pressured the endo to add estrogen to my last bloodwork I was just learning of all these places with good info so the test went in as Estrogen total, not E2. I understand you don't see much value in that.

What else do I need to have checked that I should have with me if/when I come to see you?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for weighing in Dr. John. I'm trying to figure out either a doc local to me that will consult with you, or how to get there for first appointment. I've stopped traveling since mid-Dec because of all this (not a great thing since my job requires about 80% travel - if I don't get a handle on this soon I will either lose my job or have to go on disability). Do you have a ballpark idea what the waiting time is to get an appointment?

Cholesterol Drugs
Why was that the first thing to come to your mind? I have read some stuff about its interaction with the liver and elevations of SHBG. Is this likely to cause the elevated SHBG? What else could cause that?

I was prescripted Tricor (not a statin) in March 2006 in an attempt to better balance my ldl/hdl levels.

I was taking this along with lipitor which I had been taking for many years. I stopped the lipitor on Feb 24, primarily due to some new studies that show a link between statins and testicle pain.

I have been suffering with an unexplained pain in one testicle since Dec. Sometimes the pain is so bad I can't even walk. My instinct tells me there has to be some relationship to the hormone imbalance/low T, but every doc has said no. I've been on antibiotics, had the sonograms and cts, wear jock straps all the time, etc. Next step is scheduled for next week - a nerve block injection. I'm really NOT looking forward to that one!!!!! If anyone knows of a hormonal link to this pain (or has any other ideas) I would be quite grateful if it applies to me.

My idea with the patch was not to use this as a long-term solution, but just a relatively quick test to see what happens if we can get the free-T up a bit higher.

When I pressured the endo to add estrogen to my last bloodwork I was just learning of all these places with good info so the test went in as Estrogen total, not E2. I understand you don't see much value in that.

What else do I need to have checked that I should have with me if/when I come to see you?
I would say drop any medicines and supplements that you are on.
The advice you have got so far is not working.
See Dr John ASAP.

You probably cannot go much wrong if you are able to get the tests I sugested.
For the test to be valid you have to be stable, that is whatewer you do, do it for over a month.
So if you will drop now whatewer medicines you are on, you have to wait a month before blood test.
The nerve blocking is probably going to affect something else, if only you could wait with that.
==================================
Wearing jock straps all the time helped me to ease pain while my varicocele was growing.
==================================
AllThingsMale.com
Contact Dr. John Crisler
E-mail: [email protected]
Office Phone: 517-485-4424
Direct Fax: 815-301-2716

All Things Male - Center for Men's Health
320 - 322 West Ottawa, Garden Level
Lansing, Michigan 48933