High cholesterol while hypothyroid

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I have had high cholesterol (343) for a while. My diet could certainly be better but its not that bad. In a typical day I eat a ham or turkey sandwhich with very little mayonaise and nothing else, a few granola bars and some chicken and pasta for dinner, with some apple sauce throughout the day.

It does not seem like that would cause my cholesterol to skyrocket.

How much does being hypothyroid raise cholesterol?

I know it is a factor....but how much of one?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
FREE THYROXINE (FT4) 1.3 ..... 0.8 - 1.8 NG/DL
TRIIODOTHYRONINE FREE 3.3 ..... 2.3 - 4.2 PG/ML
TSH (3RD GENERATION) 3.103 ..... 0.35 - 5.50 MCIU/ML

Those are my thyroid numbers....I assume that is what you meant. My cholesterol is 343 but I dont have the range yet as the results were left on answering machine.

These resulsts are AFTER being on levoxyl 50 mcg for about a month

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established

Those are my thyroid numbers....I assume that is what you meant. My cholesterol is 343 but I dont have the range yet as the results were left on answering machine.

Your converting fine so cortiosl is not a problem !!

Entrez PubMed

Entrez PubMed

ScienceDirect - Journal of Clinical Epidemiology : Prevalence and relevance of thyroid dysfunction in 1922 cholesterol screening participants

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have had high cholesterol (343) for a while. My diet could certainly be better but its not that bad. In a typical day I eat a ham or turkey sandwhich with very little mayonaise and nothing else, a few granola bars and some chicken and pasta for dinner, with some apple sauce throughout the day.

It does not seem like that would cause my cholesterol to skyrocket.

How much does being hypothyroid raise cholesterol?

I know it is a factor....but how much of one?
How did you arrived at your question?

See what LEF have to say about cholesterol.
Cholesterol Reduction
Cholesterol Reduction: Online References For Health Concerns

You may want to expand your search over there.
LEF Search - Welcome To The Life Extension Foundation Buyers Club Inc

spinn

Awards
  • Established
Your converting fine so cortiosl is not a problem !!
By converting I assume you mean converting T4 to T3?

I am taking 1 3/4 grains of armour and 20 mg of isocort per day....I dont think I really am converting it, I am just taking it as armour.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established

it takes a while for thyroid to feel the effect. There may be a lag time of 3-4 months because cells have to regenerate. Your t4/t3 ratio looks just fine on just t-4 alone for one month

spinn

Awards
  • Established
it takes a while for thyroid to feel the effect. There may be a lag time of 3-4 months because cells have to regenerate. Your t4/t3 ratio looks just fine on just t-4 alone for one month
Sorry..you are correct...at the time of those tests I was taking Levoxyl. I switched over to armour when I wasnt feeling any better.

Since apparently cholesterol is a builing block for hormones.....lowering my cholesterol will lower my hormone levels making depression worse and hurting the overall problem.

Quotes from the LEF article:

When patients take cholesterol-lowering drugs (CLD) we can surmise that hormonal production will decrease. That’s why many patients on CLD have severe fatigue, fibromyalgia-like pain, depression, high risk of cancer, suicides, weight gain and impotency.50-52

Today, cholesterol-lowering drugs are the most commonly prescribed medications in the United States. These drugs induce side effects and fail to address the underlying reason (hormone deficiency) for why the body is overproducing cholesterol. This article describes how a deficiency in these youth hormones (pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone, progesterone, etc.) is the underlying cause of many disorders associated with normal aging, including hypercholesterolemia. It then goes on to discuss ways that aging humans can safely restore their hormones to healthy levels.

Serum LDL decreased by 23.9% -from 158.2 mg/dL before to 120.4 mg/dL after treatment (Fig.5). During the follow up period no complications or side effects related to HT were a cause for concern. All patients described a significant improvement of quality of life.

Conclusion
In patients characterized by hypercholesterolemia and sub-youthful serum steroidal hormones, broadband steroid hormone restoration was typically associated with a substantial drop in serum total cholesterol. HT is an effective intervention for hypercholesterolemia and could be a physiologic and inexpensive resource for the healthcare system.

Elevation of cholesterol is an excellent aging marker, which can be used to define the time when patients need to begin HT.

Some additional comments by Life Extension The purpose of this six-year study was to ascertain the effects of steroidal hormone restoration (HT) on cholesterol blood levels and to assess the effects of this therapy on the overall health of patients. This study showed that total and LDL cholesterol levels declined and all patients described a significant improvement in quality of life (even though they were aging during this period).

spinn

Awards
  • Established
It seems like my body is overproducing cholesterol because my hormone levels are low. My body is trying to produce the buiding blocks of the hormones I am missing, but those raw materiels are not being utilized leading to high cholesterol and low hormone levels.

Interesting.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
It seems like my body is overproducing cholesterol because my hormone levels are low. My body is trying to produce the buiding blocks of the hormones I am missing, but those raw materiels are not being utilized leading to high cholesterol and low hormone levels.

Interesting.
Jesuis christ your fiber intake SUCKS. Your probably getting about 10 grams of fiber a day and with peoples genetics who are prone to higher cholesterol need alot more (30-40grams ).. Fiber binds with cholesterol if you eat low fiber diet then cholesterol will go up because its got nothing to bind too. Think about that. Ad some fiber one in there or some more veggies surprise you can even crap. With out proper fiber estrogen has nothing to bind too which would result in higher estrogen levels POSSIBLY aggravating the hidden insulin imbalances. Classic syndrome X post up more labs and you will probably see you fit the criteria like a freaken glove..

Lower choelsterol
Now i would recommend fish oils probably beacuse you have excessive of 6's in your cell membrane due to typical american lifestlyes AKA SAD eating pattern. Examine your diet and life style and then make changes from there. Like i said your profile could be representation of stress induced response for elevating cholesterol along with hidden inuslin resistance is sticking out in my mind big time possible magnesium/ zinc are low too. MAgnesium will help to lower choelserol too.

Type 2 diabetes goe so undiagnosed its not funny. I think drs need to make it mandatory for glucose tolerance test once a year because thats how alot of things are found vs the basic blood test. Problem is look at the serum do not look at what the hell is going on when a stress is placed upon a body to see how it reacts...

BigTom

Awards
Just take the statin drugs to lower cholesterol. You can augment your hormonal inbalances after you get your LDL and trigycerides down. Most importantly No tofu pills or wild hickory nuts seem to do ANYTHING for raising HDL significantly. That's going to be HUGE! Figure that one out and I'll buy into your homeopathic hormonal augmentation program.

Last edited:
JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Just take the statin drugs to lower cholesterol. You can augment your hormonal inbalances after you get your LDL and trigycerides down. Most importantly No tofu pills or wild hickory nuts seem to do ANYTHING for raising HDL significantly. That's going to be HUGE! Figure that one out and I'll buy into your homeopathic hormonal augmentation program.
Few day ago, there was two threads mentioning statins.
It is good that they do not hurt you.

It sounded as statins are good to stay away from.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/61719-cholesterol-why-treat.html#post756264

My Red Rice arrived yesterday.

But this guy get royally screwed by statins:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/61828-new-member-low.html

spinn

Awards
  • Established
i am going to try red yeast rice for a month....that should be long enough to at least start to lower it.

As of 3/23...it is 344........