can being hyperthyroid lower free test levels even with total test levels high normal

willis3

Awards
Trying to figure out why my free test could be low. My total test is at top 1/3 of range. My estradiol (e2) is at low end of normal. My SHBG is actually low...at the very lowest part of normal. My albumin right in the middle. DHT was right in the middle not too low, not too high either. Progesterone was actually a little elevated and my TSH was actually .2 which according to my doc is a little too low and therefor I'm mildly hyperthyroid. I'm on t3/t4 combo so he lowered it from 2 grains to 1.5 grains for two weeks and then to 1 grain from then on, and will repeat blood tests later on. My progesterone was elevated, which I read can result from hyperthyroidism. Prolactin was on low end of normal. I was still a little upset from finding out that my free t was low only 1%. It makes me think that possibly my total estrogens are too high or potentially the ratios are a little out of whack. I do have a barely noticeable case of gyno, I've had that for most of my life, HRT caused it too get a bit worse but not much. I had a surgery on deviated septum when I was 17. I had a terrible reaction to the anasthesia and it took me months before I ever felt normal again. Also, a few years later I had an anaphlactic reaction to a WASP sting, came very close to death and probably would have if my grandfather, whom I was working outdoors with at the time driven like a nascar champion in his old pickup truck and got me to the hospital for a shot of adrenalin, aside from looking like the elephant man I was also swelling up from the inside as well, my lungs in particular and I couldn't breath. I guess trauma like that could leave one's liver and other organs potentially a little sluggish and tired. I'm 27 and I did mangage to grow an adolescent. I had very late pubertal onset at 17 and I'm guessing that the chronically low test levels and other low hormones came as a result of the anaphlactic reaction, although that's a guess. I'm a pretty big guy 6'3" 215 lbs. 11% Body Fat. My regimen consists of Test Cyp 100 mg per week/ HCG 250 IU 2x per week days 5,6/ Arimidex .5mg same day as injection per week/ HGH 1.5 IU every morning/25mg of DHEA daily (sublingually)/25mg Pregnenolone daily (sublingually)/100mg 7keto DHEA daily/ T3/T4 combo (Compounded Pharmacy)/ Forteo 20mcg daily taken SQ with HGH daily for Osteopenia due to urinating out too much calcium and having weak bones prob. as a result of having low Test/ I also take Fish Oils daily- 2-3 Grams/ Multi vitamin/ GLA/ CLA-3 grams daily/ Alpha Lipoic Acid-250 mg daily/All in one supp.( Gingko Biloba, Ariginine, Zinc, Folic Acid, Vit.B6). So my best guess is that my low free test is coming from high total estrogens and possibly having a liver with less than optimal function due to some very traumatic health related experiences that I've had. I have no hair on my calves but hair everywhere else on my legs, and I have on chest, under arms, however, I can't for the life of me grow much facial hair at all. Only shave about 2x per week if that. I guess thats from the low free test. I'm wondering if I will see my free test levels go up as well as some of the other stuff balance out (progesterone, etc.) as I lower thyroid dosage and my TSH comes back up into a euthyroid state rather than hyperthyroid. The whole reason I went on thyroid was because my thyroid was slightly goiter. I'm wondering if I should discuss DIM/TMG with my doc and possibly lowering or coming off the arimidex as it appears that pherhaps it's my estrogen ratios that are out of whack due to a sluggish fatty liver, however that is not certain.

kincaiddave

Awards
Why would your doc titrate based on TSH? Of course it is suppressed, just like your LH is suppressed from your T shots, but you don't titrate your T shot dosage based on LH. Your thyroid meds should be titrated based on FT3 and FT4 levels, and even more so, based on symptoms.

What is it about your low free T that bothers you? Is it symptoms? Don't worry about the free T reading itself so much. It is not always reliable. Better to titrate based on total T.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Trying to figure out why my free test could be low. My total test is at top 1/3 of range. My estradiol (e2) is at low end of normal. My SHBG is actually low...at the very lowest part of normal. My albumin right in the middle. DHT was right in the middle not too low, not too high either. Progesterone was actually a little elevated and my TSH was actually .2 which according to my doc is a little too low and therefor I'm mildly hyperthyroid. I'm on t3/t4 combo so he lowered it from 2 grains to 1.5 grains for two weeks and then to 1 grain from then on, and will repeat blood tests later on. My progesterone was elevated, which I read can result from hyperthyroidism. Prolactin was on low end of normal. I was still a little upset from finding out that my free t was low only 1%. It makes me think that possibly my total estrogens are too high or potentially the ratios are a little out of whack. I do have a barely noticeable case of gyno, I've had that for most of my life, HRT caused it too get a bit worse but not much. I had a surgery on deviated septum when I was 17. I had a terrible reaction to the anasthesia and it took me months before I ever felt normal again. Also, a few years later I had an anaphlactic reaction to a WASP sting, came very close to death and probably would have if my grandfather, whom I was working outdoors with at the time driven like a nascar champion in his old pickup truck and got me to the hospital for a shot of adrenalin, aside from looking like the elephant man I was also swelling up from the inside as well, my lungs in particular and I couldn't breath. I guess trauma like that could leave one's liver and other organs potentially a little sluggish and tired. I'm 27 and I did mangage to grow an adolescent. I had very late pubertal onset at 17 and I'm guessing that the chronically low test levels and other low hormones came as a result of the anaphlactic reaction, although that's a guess. I'm a pretty big guy 6'3" 215 lbs. 11% Body Fat. My regimen consists of Test Cyp 100 mg per week/ HCG 250 IU 2x per week days 5,6/ Arimidex .5mg same day as injection per week/ HGH 1.5 IU every morning/25mg of DHEA daily (sublingually)/25mg Pregnenolone daily (sublingually)/100mg 7keto DHEA daily/ T3/T4 combo (Compounded Pharmacy)/ Forteo 20mcg daily taken SQ with HGH daily for Osteopenia due to urinating out too much calcium and having weak bones prob. as a result of having low Test/ I also take Fish Oils daily- 2-3 Grams/ Multi vitamin/ GLA/ CLA-3 grams daily/ Alpha Lipoic Acid-250 mg daily/All in one supp.( Gingko Biloba, Ariginine, Zinc, Folic Acid, Vit.B6). So my best guess is that my low free test is coming from high total estrogens and possibly having a liver with less than optimal function due to some very traumatic health related experiences that I've had. I have no hair on my calves but hair everywhere else on my legs, and I have on chest, under arms, however, I can't for the life of me grow much facial hair at all. Only shave about 2x per week if that. I guess thats from the low free test. I'm wondering if I will see my free test levels go up as well as some of the other stuff balance out (progesterone, etc.) as I lower thyroid dosage and my TSH comes back up into a euthyroid state rather than hyperthyroid. The whole reason I went on thyroid was because my thyroid was slightly goiter. I'm wondering if I should discuss DIM/TMG with my doc and possibly lowering or coming off the arimidex as it appears that pherhaps it's my estrogen ratios that are out of whack due to a sluggish fatty liver, however that is not certain.
Most likely you need more T.
Post your tests whatewer you have, but make sure you post
TT
SHBG
Albumin
E2
E1
TotalE
FreeT3
FreeT4
Cortisol
DHEA
Progesterone
Pregnenolone

your complaints

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Called Progesterone steal - progesterone might be elevated because your body needs more of it for the cortisol possible since it is a precursor to alot of other hormones down the line. Also you may want to check a PSA reading or have dr stick his finger up there to check prostrate. With high progesterone it could indicate possible BPH. Sounds to me like you are in possible first stages of adrenal fatigue this needs to be checked by urine or saliva. DIM.TMG might work but over all calcium d glucurate hits the whole glucorization process in the liver which will help detoxify not just used estrogen, but deactivated hormones. If a person glucorization pathway is not working then there for the deactivated hormones may be reciruclating around and refilter back through the liver adding undue stress and possible might be clogging up receptors as well (just a theory). I still have not found a lab that tests for Cortisol hormone Binding globulin if they could this could possible save alot of time with dealing with adrenal fatigue and estrogen dominiace and identifying it quickly. It is common fact that estrogen raises the CHBG and this would present a scenerio simular to free test and total T. If they have these readings for thyroid,testosterone, insulin and PSA, why not have it standard for cortisol as well and save patince alot of freaken head aches and wasted time.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Called Progesterone steal - progesterone might be elevated because your body needs more of it for the cortisol possible since it is a precursor to alot of other hormones down the line. Also you may want to check a PSA reading or have dr stick his finger up there to check prostrate. With high progesterone it could indicate possible BPH. Sounds to me like you are in possible first stages of adrenal fatigue this needs to be checked by urine or saliva. DIM.TMG might work but over all calcium d glucurate hits the whole glucorization process in the liver which will help detoxify not just used estrogen, but deactivated hormones. If a person glucorization pathway is not working then there for the deactivated hormones may be reciruclating around and refilter back through the liver adding undue stress and possible might be clogging up receptors as well (just a theory). I still have not found a lab that tests for Cortisol hormone Binding globulin if they could this could possible save alot of time with dealing with adrenal fatigue and estrogen dominiace and identifying it quickly. It is common fact that estrogen raises the CHBG and this would present a scenerio simular to free test and total T. If they have these readings for thyroid,testosterone, insulin and PSA, why not have it standard for cortisol as well and save patince alot of freaken head aches and wasted time.
Code: 30338P CORTISOL BIND GLOB (CBG)
Quest Diagnostics: Test Menu

Turnaround: 11 days
CPT Code(s): 84449

===========================
http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/intguide/EndoMetab/EndoManual_3rdEd_2004.pdf

page 43

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Why would your doc titrate based on TSH? Of course it is suppressed, just like your LH is suppressed from your T shots, but you don't titrate your T shot dosage based on LH. Your thyroid meds should be titrated based on FT3 and FT4 levels, and even more so, based on symptoms.

What is it about your low free T that bothers you? Is it symptoms? Don't worry about the free T reading itself so much. It is not always reliable. Better to titrate based on total T.
kincaiddave is right when you do T3/T4 you brain sees this and stops sending the TSH to your Thyroid to make more hormones. If I were you I would get off this T3/T4 compounded thyroid med and get on Armour. Also you shound to me like you have some problems with low Adrenals get your Cortisol levels checked. If your low you can get sick from insect bits, and it was I feel the surgery on deviated septum not a terrible reaction to the anasthesia. Low levels of Cortisol and surgery will put you in Adrenal Crisis and will take a dam long time to recover with out treatment on your Adrenals.

Do get a Saliva test for your cortisol levels.
1) LAB WORK from Canary Club for special prices. The saliva test is for a full spectrum: thyroid (TSH, free T3, free T4), adrenals (cortisol and DHEA), estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. You can choose from two lab facilities–Diagnos Tech (saliva test for $144.50) or ZRT (saliva plus blood spot test for $199).
Canary Club : Environment and Health : Home saliva testing - Diagnos-Techs

2) LAB WORK from ZRT LABORATORIES where you can test JUST one thing –both saliva and blood prick test. (You want the ADRENAL FUNCTION TEST to test your cortisol levels).
ZRT - ZRT Products

***UPDATE from ZRT: you can now order a BLOOD SPOT TEST KIT. It uses a finger prick and several tests can be done from a single sample. They state it’s on par with serum needle blood draw tests, and you can do this in your own home. It does NOT require your doctor’s prescription, but if you do have one, you can possibly use your medical insurance for this! THIS IS ALSO A PLUS SINCE SALIVA CAN OFTEN FAIL TO DETECT THYROID ANTIBODIES. One downfall: it’s nearly $100 more expensive than the saliva if you don’t have a prescription or medical insurance.

3) LAB WORK from HEALTHCHECK USA, and if you put 12345 for the discount code, you’ll get the VIP PRO PLUS II package deal for less! This is BLOOD WORK, not saliva and tests the free’s, ferritin, plus more: https://www.healthcheckusa.com/testdetails.asp?productid=34

Or this link for just the free’s and TSH: https://www.healthcheckusa.com/testdetails.asp?productid=22

GO HERE TO SEE IF THERE IS A LOCATION NEAR YOU: https://www.healthcheckusa.com/locations.asp

4) United Kingdom Labwork from NP Tech, where they will send out the kit for an ASI (adrenal stress test), plus sex hormones and a full thyroid panel etc. (thanks to “Mo” for this info)
NPTech Website.

5) Australian Labwork from Analytical Reference Laboratories (ARL) or PathLab You can’t order the kits yourself, unfortunately, but can convince your doctor. Just ring either of these labs and ask what doctor in your area uses their kits. ARL: 568 St Kilda Road Melbourne,Victoria, Australia, 3004; (61-3) 9529-2922; fax (61-3) 9529-7277 [email protected]. or PathLab: 68 Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 3125, (61-3) 8831-3000; Fax (61-3) 9808 2247; (Nutritional Laboratory Services), Ed Sorich Integrative Medicine Dept; PathLab

If you lower your Thyroid meds you will go hypo and feel like crap. Dr.'s that treat a thyroid by TSH are very wrong.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Check your adrenals, stress like that could be long lasting.

Better, get real good blood test and look for what is out of range, the tight range not the one posted by lab.

willis3

Awards
Dr.John, when you are treating someone for hypothyroidism do you not even worry if the TSH is suppressed, as long as the free t3/t4 levels are optimal?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
What are your symptoms? How is your libido?

I had surgery for a deviated septum too.....fun isnt it? Nothing like surgery right in the middle of your face.