Creatine...

christopher

Awards
  • Established
I was thinkin of starting on Creatine, using these instructions:

As for Creatine Monohydrate:

Days 1-5: take 5 grams 4 time per day (1 dose pre and 1 dose post workout) for a total of 20 grams.
The remainder of your cycle: Take 3-5 grams pre and 3-5 grams post workout for a total of 6-10 grams.

You don't really need to take it on none workout days after day 5...but many like to anyway. It's your choice. Be sure to drink plenty of water while on it. You may also get slight stomach discomfort the first few days until your body adapts...that's normal.

My question: I'm about to get new blood work done....does the creatine throw off any baselines, and should I wait until after the bloodwork to start...?

Thankx

HMM

Awards
To answer your question specifically, the use of creatine should not effect your lipid profile (I asume by blood work, you are referring to a normal lipid profile).

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It should only have an effect on your circulating levels of creatinine, provided they check for that in your blood tests.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Even on creatine, my creatitine levels were still within ranges. I only use it 3 times a week, at that got me at the top range without going over.

bobbyn

Awards
does creatine have anything to do with creatinine? my creatinine level has always been on the high end of the scale (0.5 - 1.4) mg/dL and some times over....1.5 to 1.7

i've had something weird happen it seems everytime i go on creatine....my eye turns red....like bloodshot. my eye dr called it iritis nd told me there was some connection to my kidney function

it could be just weird timing...buth i doubt it...

anyone ever heard of this?

bob

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You body's creatine converts to creatinine at a rate of about 2%. Since this is an equilibrium reaction, an increase in creatine levels would also increase creatinine levels. Creatine Monohydrate has the ability to hydrolyze into creatinine at an ever higher rate than 2%. It is not uncommon for people to have kidney sides while taking creatine monohydrate.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
My levels of creatinine rose above normal range once, when I was using creatine. I discontinued it after that because I felt my body must be producing enough already and perhaps I didnt need it.

I used to cycle it, somthing like 10 weeks on 2 weeks off to give my kidneys a break. I would then do a stack of 5g, 4 times a day for the first week, then down to 5g a day as a maintinence, both with a little dextrose, though I wouldnt do that now, knowing that any spike in insulin is not very good for you. I used to drink a LOT of water too and never had any problems with my kidneys.

christopher

Awards
  • Established
My levels of creatinine rose above normal range once, when I was using creatine. I discontinued it after that because I felt my body must be producing enough already and perhaps I didnt need it.

I used to cycle it, somthing like 10 weeks on 2 weeks off to give my kidneys a break. I would then do a stack of 5g, 4 times a day for the first week, then down to 5g a day as a maintinence, both with a little dextrose, though I wouldnt do that now, knowing that any spike in insulin is not very good for you. I used to drink a LOT of water too and never had any problems with my kidneys.

Thats essentially the routine I posted above....aside from the dextrose...

Is the dextrose what you wouldnt do now...or the creatine...?

I gonna shoot for a gallon of water daily...

I'm gonna start creatine today....

christopher

Awards
  • Established
You body's creatine converts to creatinine at a rate of about 2%. Since this is an equilibrium reaction, an increase in creatine levels would also increase creatinine levels. Creatine Monohydrate has the ability to hydrolyze into creatinine at an ever higher rate than 2%. It is not uncommon for people to have kidney sides while taking creatine monohydrate.
When you say kidney ide, what do ya mean specifically..?

And cant the sides be avoide by making sure you stay hydrated (~1 gallon water daily..?)

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Thats essentially the routine I posted above....aside from the dextrose...

Is the dextrose what you wouldnt do now...or the creatine...?

I gonna shoot for a gallon of water daily...

I'm gonna start creatine today....
Yes it is virtually the same as yours, now that ive read it again. (i read this thread yesterday and responded to it today without re-reading what you wrote again).

I used to take about 15g of dextrose with the 5g of creatine becuase i was told it would give an insulin spike and this would make the creatine work better.

What I am saying is I wouldnt do this now, knowing that spiking your insulin is just not good for you. I dont know if creatine would be effective on its own or not?

I found creatine didnt really help me a lot. It seemed to fill out my muscles and I got a few more reps out, but I only really used it to see what all the hype was about and its cheap as chips. I found it was just too much of a pain in the butt and I got the results I was after without it. And when my creatinine levels came back high, that was enough for me to forget about it.

Some guys swear by it though, which again, makes me wonder if some guys just produce a lot of it naturally and dont need it, so they dont see massive changes in their gains.

If your concerned about your kidneys, I would just cycle it. I have never heard of anyone having kidney problems on the dose your taking it at, if you stay well hydrated and cycle it.

bobbyn

Awards
thanks for the replys....interesting. seems that no one else has had that red eye iritus though.....

bob

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you say kidney ide, what do ya mean specifically..?

And cant the sides be avoide by making sure you stay hydrated (~1 gallon water daily..?)
different strokes for different folks. Drinking excessive water will lower blood concentrations of things like creatinine, but it really depends on how your body reacts to everything. Most people are fine, but some people can't handle it.