Low T and Fever Blisters...

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
Need some help... is it possible that low test levels could increase the chance for a fever blister outbreak?

Background:

I never had a fever blister before in my life until I was 35. In the last 2 years I have have had a couple that seemed to correlate to prolonged sun exposure. Now, in the past 3 months I have had 1 a month.

I believe there is a pattern to these outbreaks. I am not a frequent drinker but, when I do drink it is a bit excessive (and yes at my age I know better :). It seems that within 48 hours of heavy consumption I develop a fever blister.

My question is... could the heavy alcohol consumption bring my Test levels down far enough to severally effect my immune system? Especially if my T levels were already low? Not able to find much out there about the connection between low T and FBs. All comments and suggestion welcomed.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I have had them for years now. I definitely get outbreaks with prolonged sun (long road trips will trigger it every time). I also react when I up my Vit-C dramatically.

I have only recently been diagnosed with low T and started on a program so I don't know if that has been a trigger in the past or not.

I keep both an oral med and a salve on hand for the first twinge of soreness and it really reduces the time the blister lasts (mine are always on the lower lip).

Interesting question on the correlation with low T levels!!

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
Thanks for the reply. What type of oral med have you found effective? Just got a prescription for Valtrex. Don't know much about it, other than the commercials.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to wait 'til I get home to look at the scripts as I do not remember the names. Will post agin in a couple of hours and let you know.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Well that took longer tahn I thought. it was warm enough to take the pick-axe to the ice build up in front of the house. now I can actually park on the street and drive up into my driveway without scraping the bottom of my car.

The meds I take for the sores are:
Zovirax cream 5% - 5 g tube
Acyclovir 400 mg tabs

The cream is supposed to be put on every 2 hours to the affected area and the tabs are 1 trhee times per day.

It really does shorten it for me.

Hope this helps

smitty4

Awards
Need some help... is it possible that low test levels could increase the chance for a fever blister outbreak?

Background:

I never had a fever blister before in my life until I was 35. In the last 2 years I have have had a couple that seemed to correlate to prolonged sun exposure. Now, in the past 3 months I have had 1 a month.

I believe there is a pattern to these outbreaks. I am not a frequent drinker but, when I do drink it is a bit excessive (and yes at my age I know better :). It seems that within 48 hours of heavy consumption I develop a fever blister.

My question is... could the heavy alcohol consumption bring my Test levels down far enough to severally effect my immune system? Especially if my T levels were already low? Not able to find much out there about the connection between low T and FBs. All comments and suggestion welcomed.

I used to have them rather frequently. Then my PCP asked if I am a mouth breather. When I asked why, he said that when the lips get dry they are more prone to getting fever blisters. That made sense to me, because like others, I had gotten them from exposure to sun and wind. Perhaps you wind up breathing through your mouth more when you pass out...ummm...I mean sleep after a night of heavy drinking. That would make perfect sense to me. Ever hear someone sleeping after they have been drinking heavily?

Anyway, my PCP suggested applying liberal amounts of Carmex when I go to bed at night. That keeps them moist. He also suggested using it prior to aerobic exercise. I tried it and it has DRAMATICALLY reduced the number of fever blisters I have experienced. Give it a try!

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I use carmex also and put it over the cream when I need to use that.

Before I got my scripts I always used Carmex at the first sign of soreness and it help quite a bit.

I had forgotten that part.

smitty4

Awards
I use carmex also and put it over the cream when I need to use that.

Before I got my scripts I always used Carmex at the first sign of soreness and it help quite a bit.

I had forgotten that part.
As I say, rather than waiting until I feel like I am getting a fever blister, I just apply some every night. My PCP said you can use Blistex, but it does not last as long. It has been my experience that he is right. When I have used Blistex in a pinch, it didn't last as long as the Carmex does.

I have to admit that I was skeptical when he suggested this, but I figured trying wouldn't hurt anything so I gave it a shot. I was surprised and pleased with how well it worked for me.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I never had much luck with Blistex. Carmex always seemed better for me. I just throw a small tub (pre-stick days) in my jacket, in the center console etc. taste is worse but is more effective especially when out in the cold wind (skiing, boarding etc)

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
Thanks for the replies. I think there may be some validity to breathing through your mouth. Especially, when consumer alcohol. Thanks for the Carmex suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
Low testosterone leads to low estrogen. Low estrogen can lead to a weak immune system which can lead outbreaks.

Markum1

Markum1

Awards
Thanks Werewolf. I felt there might be a connection. I'm actually going on the 16th to get some blood work done. Are there some certain test for Test & Est that I should request?

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Werewolf. I felt there might be a connection. I'm actually going on the 16th to get some blood work done. Are there some certain test for Test & Est that I should request?
Probably want white blood cell count too.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Maybe look into Colliodial Silver for your fever blisters.