Dr. John - Fish oil and Vitamin E?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I know you are a fan of these suppliments, and fish oil shouldnt be taken without vitamin E.
But what are your comments on this study: Entrez PubMed

Although its not in humans it apears that a large dose of vitamin E was needed to prevent fish oil from lowering sperm count.
I have read that someone taking 1000IU per day of full spectrum vitamin E caused a conjunctival hemorrhage, they were also taking vitamin K too wich should of helped prevent that.
I am thinking maybe they needed to increase there intake of vitamin C or the tocotrienol dose was too high.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I know you are a fan of these suppliments, and fish oil shouldnt be taken without vitamin E.
But what are your comments on this study: Entrez PubMed

Although its not in humans it apears that a large dose of vitamin E was needed to prevent fish oil from lowering sperm count.
I have read that someone taking 1000IU per day of full spectrum vitamin E caused a conjunctival hemorrhage, they were also taking vitamin K too wich should of helped prevent that.
I am thinking maybe they needed to increase there intake of vitamin C or the tocotrienol dose was too high.
Vitamin E is a blood thiner same as fish oils. I went to a seminar with Dr Michael Murray and him confronted about people taking fish oils who previously had low platelet counts that it could cause bleeding and that there are no warnings on the bottle about people taking comuldin or warfin should consult dr before usage. . I also say about 60-70% of the people in the semiar where over 60 plus and "I go just out of curosity how many are coulmidin or warfin" about 10 people raised there hands out of the 150 people attending. He kind of did not know what to say. People need to be aware of drug interactions with even natural food because it can kill you or seriously make one ill. And one bottle says 1 tsp people take 2-3 and wonder why they end up with bloody noses and bleeding that does not stop. Vitamin E in fish oil is used to prevent it from going bad that is reason. vitamin E in this case is added to prevent sperm from going low probably due to the fact of the fat going racnid will kill your sperm..
instead taking lots of vitamin E to boost vitamin E take Co enyme q10 it will increase it alot quicker as well as the tissue level of cq10 itself.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I think fish oil lowers platelet count, there was some study done in animals were large doses lowered platelets, but I couldnt find anything else on it, except anecdotal infomation saying it doesnt lower platelets.
My platelets are 158(150-450) but it doesnt become a problem until it reaches 30.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I think fish oil lowers platelet count, there was some study done in animals were large doses lowered platelets, but I couldnt find anything else on it, except anecdotal infomation saying it doesnt lower platelets.
My platelets are 158(150-450) but it doesnt become a problem until it reaches 30.
Your still on the low end of normal..If you have low platlets you could suspect possible adrenal dysfunction as well as serotonin imbalnaces

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I'm not putting much weight on a study giving fish oil to fish. Was that kind of creepy for the test subjects? lol

Yes, we have to be careful to consider prescription medications when taking supplelements, and vice versa.

I recommend 400IU NATURAL Vit E (including gamma tocopherol) per day. Taking 1000IU would be far too much, IMPO.
Agreed excessive vitamin E unles for medical reasons could be more detrimental then any thing. If you want to increase vitamin E indirectly take 100 mgs co enzyme q10. Less chances in propbably having bleeding problems and body can adjust accordingly

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm not putting much weight on a study giving fish oil to fish. Was that kind of creepy for the test subjects? lol

I know! I was thinking the same thing. Thats how we got mad cow disease - cows eating ground up cow.