HELP! Androgel and male fertility

Pace2

Awards
I am 39 years old and went to an endocrionologist in July after having difficulty conceiving a 2nd child with my wife. The seman analysis came back in the normal ranges except for a slightly high PH (maybe from excessive drinking). However, the doctor said I had low test levels and recommended 4 pumps of the Androgel daily. Knowing something about how elevated test levels can impact the natural test levels and sperm production (aka "the male pill"), I protested, but he assured me that it would be a low enough level of supplemental test and my sperm levels would not be meaninfully affected.

Jump to today, we are doing our vist for (IUI) interuterine inseration and they took my sperm sample for a "wash", and my sperm levels plummetted to near nothing....UGH!

What is the best, most effective way to get off the androgel and get my sperm levels back up so we can get back on target of having our second child?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Ask to replace androgel with HCG and HMG.
If he thinks this is a bad idea ask if your LH and FSH was high or low before starting androgel, if they were high then he might have a point. If he says they were low or normal then HCG and HMG should help, and you might have better luck with a urologist.

Pace2

Awards
ItsHectic, one question--I'm not familiar with HMG, what is it?

Pace2

Awards
Okay, I found information on HMG, how long will it take to restore normal sperm production?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Wouldnt know but it takes sperm something like a month to reach the prostate, so no sooner then that.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also, if you're not already taking Alcar, you might want to research it, I believe it's shown to increase sperm motility.