CT angiography

C

Chip Douglas

Awards
Has anyone here ever had a CT angiography performed ? It seems this moethod is much less invasive than is a more regular angiogram. I'm looking for anyone who's had this diagnostic method performed.

Thanks

C

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone here ever had a CT angiography performed ? It seems this moethod is much less invasive than is a more regular angiogram. I'm looking for anyone who's had this diagnostic method performed.

Thanks

Considerably less invasive - no catheter threaded in to the blood vessel, probably less radiation exposure.

I haven't had the procedure done, but have had a few CT scans. You have an IV line, they inject contrast medium into the line and do the scan - it's simple.

As the contrast spreads, it tingles, and you get a sensation of heat - I didn't find it unpleasant, but some people do.

The contrast medium can cause a strange taste in your mouth.

If you are allergic to iodine or to shellfish, they either have to use another imaging technique that doesn't involve contrast medium, or they have to give you a prednisone blast to suppress your allergic response.

C

Chip Douglas

Awards
Considerably less invasive - no catheter threaded in to the blood vessel, probably less radiation exposure.

I haven't had the procedure done, but have had a few CT scans. You have an IV line, they inject contrast medium into the line and do the scan - it's simple.

As the contrast spreads, it tingles, and you get a sensation of heat - I didn't find it unpleasant, but some people do.

The contrast medium can cause a strange taste in your mouth.

If you are allergic to iodine or to shellfish, they either have to use another imaging technique that doesn't involve contrast medium, or they have to give you a prednisone blast to suppress your allergic response.

Thank you cpeil2, that's good info on the CT procedure.

Come to think of it, did you have it done in a private clinic ? If so how much for a single scan ?

C

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Thank you cpeil2, that's good info on the CT procedure.

Come to think of it, did you have it done in a private clinic ? If so how much for a single scan ?
No clue. At Kaiser, we pay our monthly premium and everything is included, except for the co-pay.