Awards
200mg cream 2x daily or 125 sustanon weekly

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just make sure you take Finasteride,or Dutasteride,and you can pretty much keep dht normalized..regardless of what kind of test..I recomend the finasteride systematic,and using duta topical,mixed with minoxidill,and spirolactone.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you take Finasteride,or Dutasteride,and you can pretty much keep dht normalized..regardless of what kind of test..I recomend the finasteride systematic,and using duta topical,mixed with minoxidill,and spirolactone.
You may know something that I am after.
When I take Avodart as prescribed, that is one pill per day,
my DHT=29
After two months of not taking Avodart my DHT=226 (30-85)
I am looking for a dose of Avodart that would give me DHT=60-70
Do you have an educated guess of what that dose may be?
Right now I am experimenting with one pill every other week
------------------------------
At the moment I have all the hair that I need, 66yo.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am a bit confused by your post. Are you recommending he use finasteride orally along with a topical of dutasteride and spirolactone?? I can tell you that if I did that I believe my DHT and even perhaps test would be non existent.

As a side note while many seem to have a decent experience with finasteride I thought my sex drive might never normalize after I took it for about a year.

Directly to the quextion as to whether the cream or sustanon would be easier on hair I would speculate the sustanon. I believe the conversion to DHT is much higher in a topical.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dutasteride systematic is imo too strong,unless your on a test cycle.Like I am.I gave the example of what i take and it actully grows hair back on a test e cycle.I would go with the sustanon.Using duta topicly Does help regardless of what some random dude says.....tried and true...If i were you I would switch to finasteride orally...duta is way too strong,and has a half life of 5 weeks....fina is a few days.(unless your on a crazy test cycle) im only doing 250 a week

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you stick with avodart I wouldn't take it everyday.At least every other....IMO....remember long half life

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dutasteride systematic is imo too strong,unless your on a test cycle.Like I am.I gave the example of what i take and it actully grows hair back on a test e cycle.I would go with the sustanon.Using duta topicly Does help regardless of what some random dude says.....tried and true...If i were you I would switch to finasteride orally...duta is way too strong,and has a half life of 5 weeks....fina is a few days.(unless your on a crazy test cycle) im only doing 250 a week
LOL am I the "random dude"??

If so (even if not) I am still trying to understand what exactly you were recommending in the post. Were you in fact recommending he use finasteride orally and at the same time use duta and spiro topically?? If that is the case and it works for you cool........I will reiterate however that for myself and plenty of others that would drive DHT and test to the level of a two year old girl.

Secondly I am far from an isolated case when I say that finasteride had far reaching and long lasting implications on my libido. There are entire groups devoted to the subject and also at least one lawsuit I believe. There are some highly respected HRT docs that advise against the use of finasteride.

Having said that I am sure there are plenty who dont have issues .

dobebrief

Banned
Awards
WTF are you guys trying to do this this guy kill his sex life.
Finasteride will do this there is a whole web site of men that are a mess from using that crap.
Propecia Side Effects - Impotence, Low Libido, Erectile Dysfunction, Finasteride
I talk to these poor guys all the time dam sad storys.
Phil
LOL, low libido, erectile dysfunction, you'll be saying gyno next. I've been on propecia since 2002 and now i've switched to the REALLY STRONG STUFF dutasteride, den den den!!!! Honestly man, these side effects are minimal (thats if you are prone to them) , hell i've probably had them but barley noticed them at all, infact i may up the dosage. If a man can get messed up using finasteride, he must of been very sickly to start with.

dobebrief

Banned
Awards
Finasteride is, IMPO, nothing short of poison. It should never be taken, nor its competitor, Dutasteride.

There is absolutley no reason whatsoever to worry about maintaining "normal range" for DHT. In fact, serum DHT assays are a very poor biomarker for actual intracellular 5-AR activity.

If you want to protect your hair, use a topical preparation.
Topical treatments are a nice complementry in conjunction with finasteride or dutasteride, not instead of, that's if you are serious about losing your hair.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Topical treatments are a nice complementry in conjunction with finasteride or dutasteride, not instead of, that's if you are serious about losing your hair.
Can you elaborate as to why you feel systemic surpression of DHT is necessary as opposed to control at the binding sites on the scalp?

I would think your contention would have to be that the topicals are ineffective at maintaining levels of effectiveness throughout a 24 hour day.

Also out of curiosity are you talking about using the combo of oral/topical during normal hormonal levels (whether self produced or HRT) or are you referring to times when test and DHT are supraphysiological?

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
LOL, low libido, erectile dysfunction, you'll be saying gyno next. I've been on propecia since 2002 and now i've switched to the REALLY STRONG STUFF dutasteride, den den den!!!! Honestly man, these side effects are minimal (thats if you are prone to them) , hell i've probably had them but barley noticed them at all, infact i may up the dosage. If a man can get messed up using finasteride, he must of been very sickly to start with.
Dont kid yourself, a lot of the problems associated with finasteride dont appear until you quit the drug. There's somthing not quite right about this drug for sure, its common knowledge. I know first hand - It did its best to try and turn me into a female. Gyno is on the drug information as a possible side effect and it definately does happen, its all over the internet. If youre still not convinced, have a look at all of these happy campers:

propecia: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Props:thumbsup: I have NO problems with sex drive because of either chem..I think they work great.I'm 6% bodyfat 186 pounds,bang like a jackrabbit,train like a bear.....Where exactly is the problem here...and prone to mpb,and growing hair like crazy....I guess only real men can use this stuff,and not be affected

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Props:thumbsup: I have NO problems with sex drive because of either chem..I think they work great.I'm 6% bodyfat 186 pounds,bang like a jackrabbit,train like a bear.....Where exactly is the problem here...and prone to mpb,and growing hair like crazy....I guess only real men can use this stuff,and not be affected
First as I said in a previous post SOME people can use this stuff with no apparent problems. Thats GREAT and I am glad for those that can I truly am.

I have never and I mean NEVER flamed anyone on here. This is my favorite board and has been a place I call home for a few years damn near. I gotta call this one like i see it though.

Your attitude SUCKS!! It is obvious from your tone AND level of knowledge that you dont even know what being a "real man" means. The board motto of Learn, Teach , Lead is something that most here follow and its what makes the board special. You are not doing any of those things when you dish out your bs attitude.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Props:thumbsup:I guess only real men can use this stuff,and not be affected

If you insinuate that people on this board are "not real men", you will probably not get a very warm resoponse from anyone.

Correct me if im wrong, but I would have thought it takes a "real man" to deal with issues such as finasteride induced hypogonadism (theres a big phrase for you to research) and peyronies disease (ouch) at the tender age of 20 somthing, but you da man so you tell me.

dobebrief

Banned
Awards
First as I said in a previous post SOME people can use this stuff with no apparent problems. Thats GREAT and I am glad for those that can I truly am.

I have never and I mean NEVER flamed anyone on here. This is my favorite board and has been a place I call home for a few years damn near. I gotta call this one like i see it though.

Your attitude SUCKS!! It is obvious from your tone AND level of knowledge that you dont even know what being a "real man" means. The board motto of Learn, Teach , Lead is something that most here follow and its what makes the board special. You are not doing any of those things when you dish out your bs attitude.
So it's a bad idea to take dutagen or propecia (that the doctor probably presribed in the first place) than jabbing yourself with test e and stacking it with other orals and recovering your own hormone levels with more drugs?

dobebrief

Banned
Awards
Can you elaborate as to why you feel systemic surpression of DHT is necessary as opposed to control at the binding sites on the scalp?

I would think your contention would have to be that the topicals are ineffective at maintaining levels of effectiveness throughout a 24 hour day.

Also out of curiosity are you talking about using the combo of oral/topical during normal hormonal levels (whether self produced or HRT) or are you referring to times when test and DHT are supraphysiological?
Im talking about keeping your barnet. What do people do if they want big muscles, they take steroids and are aware of the side effects. Same goes for your hair, what do you do if you don't want to be a baldie and it REALLY bothers you, you take the hair pills and are aware that you might get a few sides.

If it don't bother you that much then by all means, use topicals, ive been there, load of crap FOR ME, now I take the best at what there is.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So it's a bad idea to take dutagen or propecia (that the doctor probably presribed in the first place) than jabbing yourself with test e and stacking it with other orals and recovering your own hormone levels with more drugs?
Come on now read what I am saying. I have said several times now that it works for some and if it does GREAT. More power to you,.....I truly mean that!!!!

I am simply sharing MY experience and MY experience with finasteride was bad. My flame was not directed at you at all. My rant is directed at someone who feels the need to say that because I or someone else have a bad experience with finasteride we must not be "real men" as he puts it.

As far as test, e, other orals, myself, and how fina etc work in that environment I wont get into here. This is the wrong forum for that. This forum is for the discussion of legit HRT levels of use. And before you try to kick my ass on that statement too NO I am not saying I never veer outside the norms..........I am simply saying this isnt the forum to discuss it in.

We certainly have veered off the original posters question anyway. He simply asked what would be easier on the hair line,,,,,,,200mg test cream twice a day or 125mg sust weekly. As Doc John pointed out 2oomg cream twice a day is a cycle as opposed to HRT. The 125mg dose of sust while slightly high is in the realm of an HRT dose. Even if you backed the cream off to a normal HRT dose its likely the conversion to DHT will be higher with the topical. It is my understanding that when there is more conversion activity to both DHT and Estrogen with a topical vs. an injectable.

To the orginal poster as well.....keep im mind that maintaining healthy levels of DHT is not just a bad thing. DHT supports many things that are desirable as well.....leaness and libido to name a couple.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I would personally rather lose some hair than lose my sex drive. Hey my hair is short anyway because im in the military :rolleyes:

dobebrief

Banned
Awards
If you took one moment and actually learned a little of what you speak, you would know that this Forum is vehemently anti-steroid.

I will let you know that I am already weary of your smart alec, unintelligent, insulting comments. Straighten up and fly right, or go somewhere else.
I hope your not a real doctor, the world would be in trouble, who have I insulted? finasteride and dutasteride are the way forward if you want to keep your mop, either tolerate the sides or go for the gentler topicals and accept the fact that they arn't very good.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
You are mistaken here as well. Topicals are profoundly more effective than systemic treatment. And without the sides.
I would love to hear the name of topical that work.
Rogaine did not, for me at least, but then I do not need it now since I have to fight my v high DHT,
first with Proscar now with Avodart.
As for Avodart,
my suspicion is that the problem is with dose size.
The pill (gel-cap) is too potent, but it is hard to make smaller pieces of it.
Avodart stays in the system for months, so the dose must be at the just right level.
I can go jojo with my DHT, using it daily as prescribed, DHT=29, stopped Avodart for six weeks DHT=226(30-85).
Now I am trying, not sure yet, once a week or once every other week, would like to get my DHT=80.
Any ideas?

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Rogaine did not, for me at least, but then I do not need it now since I have to fight my v high DHT,
As for Avodart,
Avodart stays in the system for months, so the dose must be at the just right level.
I can go jojo with my DHT, using it daily as prescribed, DHT=29, stopped Avodart for six weeks DHT=226(30-85).
Now I am trying, not sure yet, once a week or once every other week, would like to get my DHT=80.
Any ideas?
I am sure Dr. J will answer you but if you care to hear it heres my general thought.

I dont beleive you necessarily want to take your serum DHT levels down. Specific to your hair the key is in preventing binding on the scalps AR receptors. A topical can achieve that while having far less of a chance to negatively impact healthy DHT levels and test levels for that matter.

Beyond hair there is also a good deal of research that suggests that high DHT is not as much a culprit in prostate issues as high estrogen.

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established
I hope your not a real doctor, the world would be in trouble, who have I insulted? finasteride and dutasteride are the way forward if you want to keep your mop, either tolerate the sides or go for the gentler topicals and accept the fact that they arn't very good.
Yes he is. And even though I am new to this board, I believe a bit more open mindedness on your part would go a long way to respecting others opinions.

Besides, bald is beautiful! AND it saves on haircuts! :D

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I am sure Dr. J will answer you but if you care to hear it heres my general thought.

I dont beleive you necessarily want to take your serum DHT levels down. Specific to your hair the key is in preventing binding on the scalps AR receptors. A topical can achieve that while having far less of a chance to negatively impact healthy DHT levels and test levels for that matter.

Beyond hair there is also a good deal of research that suggests that high DHT is not as much a culprit in prostate issues as high estrogen.
I do not want to take my DHT down, when it is at 29 I am having ED problems. I just want to keep it at reasonable level, top of the range but not more than that. At the moment my hair do not fall off.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established

Wow you are on a roll :clap2: now i know that i havn't been here very long but from what i've learned here you just insulted a very well known doctor that alot of people respect. I highly suggest you go on :type: and push :gotsearch and read some more posts before you put down someone who has studied and practiced for years what you think you know.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes he is. And even though I am new to this board, I believe a bit more open mindedness on your part would go a long way to respecting others opinions.

Besides, bald is beautiful! AND it saves on haircuts! :D
Amen... I just prempted the inevitable!!!! A little proaction, instead of reaction!!!!! And women love it.... something smooth to rub on when... errrr... . I mean...... Yeah!!!! :toofunny:

Adams

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey listen guys,I'm really not trying to be a d1ck..Sorry if it came across that way..I'm just saying that for me personally I don't think finasteride,or duta are THAt bad.I love these boards,learn alot,and JCAM,sorry brother were all REAL men...thats why we are on these boards:head:

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
As for Avodart,
I can go jojo with my DHT, using it daily as prescribed, DHT=29, stopped Avodart for six weeks DHT=226(30-85).Now I am trying, not sure yet, once a week or once every other week, would like to get my DHT=80.
Any ideas?
I use a proprietary blend of Nizoral and spironolactone.

Blast that DHT at the hair follicle. But let it do its good works everywhere else.
You cannot use the 5-AR inhibitors in such an intermittent fashion.

And, as I have said, serum DHT assays are a poor biomarker for intracellular activity.

BTW, what does the word "jojo" mean?
Yoyo Crazy - Home Page
Sorry, english is my second language, I meant YOYO.
It goes up and down and up and down and so on...
-----------------------
DHT is doing its good job when it is at say 85, (maximum range).
When my DHT=226 it probably does very questionable job on my v large prostate.
---------------------------
as I am assesing my options about Avodart, possibly using Durastride
AG-Guys & Affiliates :: Accessories :: Durastride
may provide a way to reduce Avodart dose equal to one gell cap per week but using liitle duasteride daily.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
For you, I would use 150mg BID of DIM, and 500mg BID of TMP per day. Combined with a low glycemic diet (to reduce serum insulin levels), your prostate should shrink--without using the nasty 5-AR Inhibitors.
What BID mean?
----------
As for DIM I thought that it is taken to reduce E2.
PhytoPharmica Indolplex with DIM
Indolplex® Complex 120 mg
but I think it have 25% of DIM
Should I take 4 or 5 pills daily?
I probably should make inventory of all the AI that I am taking and stop it.
I3C,
Nettle (Urtica dioica)
Chrysin
probably others
I am already taking small amounts of DIM=14mg/day
--------------------
By chance, have you ment TMG?
I do not know what is TMP (typo??).
I am already taking 100mg of TMG with may multitude of supplements.
----------------------
I do not eat much sugar, blood sugar ok.
Nothing will shrink my prostate except possibly scalpel.
05/27/2005
prostate volume=70.2cc
transition zone =42cc
but sincerely thank you for your attempt.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Twice per day.
Thank you doctor.

Now $50 question.

Wonder if I could get clarification on DIM.
-------
My dose is:
"For you, I would use 150mg BID of DIM"
I understand that is 2x150=300mg of DIM daily

My source of DIM will be PhytoPharmica Indolplex with DIM
it content is described as:
Serving Size: 1 Tablet Amount/Serving %DV
Indolplex® Complex 120 mg *
modified food starch, 25% diindolylmethane (DIM), d-alpha tocopheryl succinate, silicon dioxide, and phosphatidylcholine
so each tablet contains 0.25x129=40mg of DIM
To get my 300mg/day dose
300/40=7.5 tablets daily

Is that correct?
Lots of DIM isnt it??
Have I missunderstood your directions?
================================================
I am not sure what to make of all the phosphatidylcholine that I will be taking with Indolplex tablets..

With in supplements that I am already taking, there is
Phosphatidylcholine (from soy) 150 mg
---
Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (A-GPC) 600 mg
---
Phosphatidylserine 100 mg
[SharpPS Gold™ Conjugated Phosphatidylserine-DHA
(std. to 45% PS and 8% DHA) and phosphatidylserine]
---
Phosphatidylcholine-Grape Seed Extract 150 mg
[Contains 50 mg of Leucoselect® Phytosome™ grape
seed extract (95% polyphenols) bound to 100 mg of
phosphatidylcholine from soy]
---

cajunbam

cajunbam

Awards
I use a proprietary blend of Nizoral and spironolactone.

Blast that DHT at the hair follicle. But let it do its good works everywhere else.

You cannot use the 5-AR inhibitors in such an intermittent fashion.

And, as I have said, serum DHT assays are a poor biomarker for intracellular activity.

BTW, what does the word "jojo" mean?
DR John,

I've used nizoral tabs in the past to get rid of a pesky tinea versicolor. Was my DHT being screwed up at the same time?

Thanks,
Brian

cajunbam

cajunbam

Awards
It wasn't much of a response.
I've only taken it for 5 days and the "rash" is all clear. I imagine that wasn't enough to affect it and anyway, without testing for it, who knows.

I appreciate your time,
Brian

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
If that were the case, they wouldn't have made propecia.
Why do you say that?

Companies will make what sells, "hey you wanna rub this into your head every day, or just take a pill?"

They made sustanon wich is the same principle, although some people do prefere it.

AGELESS

AGELESS

Awards
  • Established
dobebrief
Banned

Wow Dr. John, do you have 6 guns on both hips? I just love the way you shoot!

Fast and straight.:jaw:

My 3 yr old added you to her nightly prayers...

"Dear God... Please dont let my Daddy make Dr. John mad!"

Youre the man!!

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Thank you doctor.

Now $50 question.

Wonder if I could get clarification on DIM.
-------
My dose is:
"For you, I would use 150mg BID of DIM"
I understand that is 2x150=300mg of DIM daily

My source of DIM will be PhytoPharmica Indolplex with DIM
it content is described as:
Serving Size: 1 Tablet Amount/Serving %DV
Indolplex® Complex 120 mg *
modified food starch, 25% diindolylmethane (DIM), d-alpha tocopheryl succinate, silicon dioxide, and phosphatidylcholine
so each tablet contains 0.25x129=40mg of DIM
To get my 300mg/day dose
300/40=7.5 tablets daily

Is that correct?
Lots of DIM isnt it??
Have I missunderstood your directions?
================================================
I am not sure what to make of all the phosphatidylcholine that I will be taking with Indolplex tablets..

With in supplements that I am already taking, there is
Phosphatidylcholine (from soy) 150 mg
---
Alpha-Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline (A-GPC) 600 mg
---
Phosphatidylserine 100 mg
[SharpPS Gold™ Conjugated Phosphatidylserine-DHA
(std. to 45% PS and 8% DHA) and phosphatidylserine]
---
Phosphatidylcholine-Grape Seed Extract 150 mg
[Contains 50 mg of Leucoselect® Phytosome™ grape
seed extract (95% polyphenols) bound to 100 mg of
phosphatidylcholine from soy]
---

Please be aware taken 300 mgs of dim via indoplex you are going to end up with calcium over load there is 320 mgs of calcium per tab x 7 and you are around 2200 mgs calcoium carbonate not inlcusing multivitamin even and milk products. Basically you are going to create a zinc, magnesium, iron imbalance from taking all that. Not mentioning you re going to waste your thyroid medication as well with all of that kind of calcium carbonate (if you are taken armour)

Dr john how do you get your 300mgs of dim a day? 150 bid but wat brand?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Didn't know that of the Indolplex product.

I use Nick Delgado's Estroblock product. As some of you know, I served as his company's Medical Director for several years.
Yep you learn something new every day LOL With my condition I learn to read labels to look for fillers and binder that could alte thyroid medications. After 3 years of a simple misdiagnoses I am not taking any steps to go back wards only forward and back to good health.

So in your medical opinon DIM DOESN"T lower estrodial, but alters ESTROGEN metabolites and by products in favor better Good:bad estrogen. I still till this day have not seen any clincal studies done on rats or humans to confer this. REason I think it helps with some many people because alot of people with hormonal related problem are undermethyators and thats why they respond so good because it actually would possible help to raise Samm-e levels indirectly. Be an interesting study does DIM actually alter methylation with in the liver and increase sam-e levels by reducing the burden on the total methyation process

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I still till this day have not seen any clincal studies done on rats or humans to confer this.
Dear Sir,

Clinical studies looking at serum estradiol levels before and after
BioResponse DIM are only now in progress based on the collaboration
between BioResponse LLC and the National Cancer Institute.
Earlier
published work looking at DIM in plasma generated from oral I3C showed
no change in serum estradiol levels. What did change was an increase in
the metabolism of Estrone the less active circulating form of estradiol.
Increased metabolism of Estrone to 2-hydroxy Estrone was found.

So, DIM itself is not a inhibitor of aromatase or a means to lower
estradiol which replaces the use of arimidex. DIM can be taken in
conjunction with arimidex. This helps maintain high 2-hydroxy estrogen
levels which may be beneficial for the prostate gland.

Kind regards,

Michael A. Zeligs, M.D.
Founder, BioResponse, LLC
Soon....

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
FYI ic3 will not work with people with adrenal fatigue or hypothyroid reason being your need stomach acids to activate it to DIM. So people with low acid problems in stomach or general population of 50-60 years of age will not benefit from it at all, but will benefite from DIM :)

Thats next project urine for the right ratios i mentioned to my dr and fact that i have low homocysteine levels he agreed that there could be alterations going on behind the door so to speak. But again this is only dealing with the symptoms of the cause which is the elevated histamines from Ecoli and what ever else is running rampant in my gut. histmaines will interfer with methylation and methylation is needed for proper estrogen metabolism. By taking care of the estrogen metabolism will not take care of the source, but it will help in some ways i am sure.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Didn't know that of the Indolplex product.

I use Nick Delgado's Estroblock product. As some of you know, I served as his company's Medical Director for several years.
I found 2 estroblock products and one is trade marked and his is not. I am suprised no one has been trying to get legal rights. One looks like crap and Dr Delgado's looks alot more plain and simple then all the other big fancy names in the other one. I like the fact that his contains just dim and IC3 THAT it with no binders or anything like that.

So here is 64 million dollar question if your estrodial levels are fine and your bad:good ratio is high could you still have problem and symptoms of elevated estrogen dispite your estrogen levels being PERFECT or would the imbalnace be shown up more an altered SHBG? Hmm i love making you have to think HAHAHa

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
She turned 3 Feb 5th....(sorry were way off topic)
I just had to show her off..shes my angel.
She is precious and you answered the question that all man have been wanting to know does TRT affect your ability to be infertile well you DEFINITELY proved that it does not :drunk:

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
As a side note while many seem to have a decent experience with finasteride I thought my sex drive might never normalize after I took it for about a year.
Jcam22 how much time did it take for your sex drive to come back?

getreal

Awards
Please share your reasoning behind such a statement.
propecia is supposedly more harsh on the system than topicals, but people will try the topicals first as there are not as many side effects, but some people will turn to finasteride and the likes because they are more effective, but obviously taking more risks.