Dr. John : Varicoceles - The Unsolved Mystery?

M

Megazoid

Awards
I wanted your opinion and to offer some insight into my own condition.

I believe i might have some potential theories and explanations behind varicoceles and the link's between low testosterone. I was born with an undescended testicle (right side) and this remained small and atrophied throughout my life. The left testicle grew as normal and became large and firm and i had no problems up until now. I got a varicocele on my left testicle due to an injury (testicle was "tugged" causing a varicocele to form).

I am still no further forward with my own situation but I am trying to draw more attention to varicoceles which in turn cause low t for almost everyone that has them. I've got a new girlfriend and want go get thing's "going" with her but can't get it up and libido is terrible.

Anyway I got the varicocele fixed about 6 weeks ago and so far i have seen very little improvement. I believe a domino effect occured when i got the varicocele. Let me explain this a little more:

1) Got injury that caused varicocele ("tug" happened)
2) Varicocele caused "sluggish" blood flow in one of the veins resulting in stagnated blood around the testicle and slower blood flow.
3) A combination of lack of nutrients and over-heating occured in the testicle.
4) This killed off all sperm and resulted in some testicular size loss.
5) Low T kicked in contrinbuting to slower blood flow alongside the damaged the veins and caused more atrophy.
6) Estrogen became out of balance and caused further problems with atrophy and sperm production, further atrophy occured.
7) Test dropped right down to 14nmol (was originally 25nmol before varicocele did damage).
8) Testicle remained soft and small with bad blood flow (or so it feels).

I think running HCG (100 iu) daily for 6 weeks is a good plan for me, this can't do any damage to the HPTA that i am aware of and either way i am going to need TRT in the long run if this dosen't work. I am scared to use Nolva or Clomid due to the liver side effects and also effects on IGF-1 hormone. What i am worried about is if i don't see any testicular size improvements in this period, should i run it for longer? How safe is HCG long-term as a form of repair or TRT? Will 100iu HCG a day bring my levels up for the whole day? Is it best to inject at night or morning?

I am going todo it IM/Thigh injections with an insulin needle. In my case I think recovering from the atrophy might be the first step in regaining testosterone levels and hopefully "kick-starting" my body into producing natural again. I need better T levels to improve blood flow to the whole area, which in turn should speed
up the "healing" process caused by the varicocele.

I am getting no support from doctors here because they claim a
testosterone level of 14.2nmol is "normal" and i should be 'fine' at this level. It's dam near impossible to get erections (even when trying every suppliment under the sun - DIM/ZMA, etc) and i couldn't have sex at this stage either i don't think. My penis sometimes just hang's lifeless.

Androgel made me feel somewhat better and if i recall it brought my Total T up to 24.9 without supressing the HPTA much (LH/FSH remained at 2/3). Even with the varicoles my LH/FSH remained normal which suggests no testicular abnormalities even though the varicocele induced atrophy. This might be a positive indication towards HCG being able to treat varicocele sufferers.

I have visited an anti-aging clinic and have been told i NEED TRT without question (this was before the varicocele was repaired though). My levels were around 14.2nmol, but one later came back at 20nmol and this was before varicocele repair (still maybe still hope?). Previous to this my levels were 25/30nmol before the varicocele did damage.

I don't want to "need" TRT for life (i'm only 23) but i am not getting any support from doc's or endo's here so i am going to need to self-medicate. I don't like the idea of this but i am running out of options and wanted to share this knowledge with a doctor in this field.

To the best of my knowledge, 100iu HCG daily shouldn't give any E2 problems and will hopefully help kick-start thing's again or show any testicular health improvements i was going to see anyway in the long run (might even prevent further problems).

Other than "waiting" (which everyone keep's nagging me for - the varicocele is away for good now!) what would you do now? Test injections are out the window because i don't want to run this stuff without getting monitored (which is impossible due to my stuborn doctor).

I am due to see the anti-aging clinic in feb but i didn't want to use either Androgel or Testim due to the side effects i was getting and also because it would only furher induce more atrophy.

Just wondering what you would recommend in this situation and what you think about my potential theories. I am intending on putting together a website highlighting the "unseen" dangers of varicoceles in the near future. I am sure a few of the guy's on the forum would offer input.

M

Megazoid

Awards
I guess this prompts a further two questions:

1) Has HCG worked well on varicocele patients for you Dr. John?

2) Has it helped restore atrophied testicles back to normal?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I guess this prompts a further two questions:

1) Has HCG worked well on varicocele patients for you Dr. John?

2) Has it helped restore atrophied testicles back to normal?
template007
Have anyone tried consultation ($300) or Office Visit ($50) options when trying to discuss subject with Dr John?
I suspect one may get correct answers quicker.
But I am not sure if Dr John would oblige.
Just knowing the right answer and having game plan at hand (without getting a script for any medication) may be a good way to get ahead.
It may be a good idea to have a fresh and comprehensive blood test (that covers discussed topics) at hand during private e-mail exchanges.
-------------------------------------------
I for one, would be interested in mechanics of such exchange.

W

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
template007
Have anyone tried consultation ($300) or Office Visit ($50) options when trying to discuss subject with Dr John?
I suspect one may get correct answers quicker.
But I am not sure if Dr John would oblige.
Just knowing the right answer and having game plan at hand (without getting a script for any medication) may be a good way to get ahead.
It may be a good idea to have a fresh and comprehensive blood test (that covers discussed topics) at hand during private e-mail exchanges.
-------------------------------------------
I for one, would be interested in mechanics of such exchange.
I am a patient of Dr. John. He earns every penny. I am very prepared for the virtual office visits so we don't waste each other's time. Yes, I'd say the traditional/direct settings are the best way for doctors and patients to interact.

I have obtained additional information by reading his posts here, but I feel it's best to get his specific advice for me, so that happens through his office.

I

Ivynae

Awards
Any pics of varicocele that is all better after surgery. Cannot find that anywhere. Only people talking about fertility. I just need to know if it's fixed and would love to see proof.

F

fweed

Awards
Anyone know what happened to megazoid? His problem is the most similar to mine that I have seen. Only difference that mine had no clear cause (no sudden injury), and the testicular atrophy happened overnight, instead of over weeks.

F

fweed

Awards
Is there something about lifestyle that increases the occurrence of varicoceles, or that increases the likelihood of a varicoceles causing negative symptoms.