If you want to understand how all of this works....

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
For me, taking an anatomy and physiology course at a local community college has really helped me understand how my body works and also all the things I read online. Medical Terminology was also a very useful course. Pharmacology and Pathophysiology where also interesting and helpful.

All of these were challenging, but it really is possible to learn about this stuff, and there are actually course materials online for free if you look.

I got straight A's, and I still get confused at times. I can understand why some doctors don't bother to really delve into their patients' issues or keep up with the latest research. It is hard work to do so.

These systems in our bodies are very complex, but it's helpful to know the basics. I consider all the money spent on the fees and textbooks a good investment in my health. It has also helped me to sort out poor healthcare from healthcare that actually has improved my health.

I'm surprised at the patience Dr. John has shown here with all the questions which he answers for free. He charges a rather modest fee for initial consults and subsuquent follow-ups.

Insurance reimburses part of it too, but here online Dr. John is doing us a service pro bono (not practicing medicine, but basically teaching us) because he's a mensch. I worry that if we take him for granted he might decide not to spend so much time answering hundreds of questions, with some people getting impatient that he doesn't respond right away.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
For me, taking an anatomy and physiology course at a local community college has really helped me understand how my body works and also all the things I read online. Medical Terminology was also a very useful course. Pharmacology and Pathophysiology where also interesting and helpful.

All of these were challenging, but it really is possible to learn about this stuff, and there are actually course materials online for free if you look.

I got straight A's, and I still get confused at times. I can understand why some doctors don't bother to really delve into their patients' issues or keep up with the latest research. It is hard work to do so.

These systems in our bodies are very complex, but it's helpful to know the basics. I consider all the money spent on the fees and textbooks a good investment in my health. It has also helped me to sort out poor healthcare from healthcare that actually has improved my health.

I'm surprised at the patience Dr. John has shown here with all the questions which he answers for free. He charges a rather modest fee for initial consults and subsuquent follow-ups.

Insurance reimburses part of it too, but here online Dr. John is doing us a service pro bono (not practicing medicine, but basically teaching us) because he's a mensch. I worry that if we take him for granted he might decide not to spend so much time answering hundreds of questions, with some people getting impatient that he doesn't respond right away.
Very nice post thank you.
Wonder if you have a time and inclination to present here short course (for dummies) based on what you have learned at country college. I would limit it to HRT, adrenals and thyroid and information that 95% of men deal with. Rare cases, the 5%, could be dealt with latter.

Have you came across similar courses accesible thru internet only, possibly with out a need of taking a test?

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
I found online courses and info through google.com searches.

I am not a physician or a person qualified to teach the subject. I cannot duplicate an accredited course in a post on this board, and certainly I would not even attempt it for free. Have a look online and see what you can find, or consider signing up at a local community college.

I made some good friends in those classes, too!

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established
Excellent post wild! I agree, I'm amazed Dr. John isn't completely over-whelmed by all the questions thrown at him on a daily basis. I try to simply read his responses to others questions. I've learned a lot just by doing that.