Low DHT and Thyroid disease?

raw1973

Awards
I've been taking finasteride for 6-7 yrs for hair loss. It stopped my receding hairline and I have a full head of hair still, when everyone else in the family has gone bald. I haven't noticed any serious sexual side effects( although a decrease in libido which I attributed to age,34yrs old now, but havn't had T or E tested as of yet) My question though, is could there be a connection between chronic thyroiditis ( hashimoto's) and low DHT. I was recently diagnosed with this, and wonder if there is a connection. I have low thyroid #'s with thyroid antibodies and they say that mostly women are diagnosed with this disorder. Anyone else notice a connection between low DHT and thyroid disease?

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking finasteride for 6-7 yrs for hair loss. It stopped my receding hairline and I have a full head of hair still, when everyone else in the family has gone bald. I haven't noticed any serious sexual side effects( although a decrease in libido which I attributed to age,34yrs old now, but havn't had T or E tested as of yet) My question though, is could there be a connection between chronic thyroiditis ( hashimoto's) and low DHT. I was recently diagnosed with this, and wonder if there is a connection. I have low thyroid #'s with thyroid antibodies and they say that mostly women are diagnosed with this disorder. Anyone else notice a connection between low DHT and thyroid disease?
I am interested in this as well as I too have low DHT. I have never been diagnosed with a thyroid problem though. I am getting so tired of no libido that I am thinking about getting some proviron.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
If you have this problem it can cause all kinds of things to go low DHEA, Cortisol I found a lot of help at this site.
Stop The Thyroid Madness » Index Page
I read some where if you go on Armour and get your TSH down very low the AB's will stop attacking.
Phil

jim81

Awards
finisteride and thyroid

Hi,

I have been on finasteride for hair loss for about 3 years. In the last 18 months I have had thyroiditis and low thyroid function and am now on 100mg of thyroid drug. Did anyone ever find a link between finisteride and thyroid function ???

Thanks
James.

As an experiment should I stop the finisteride for a while ?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

I have been on finasteride for hair loss for about 3 years. In the last 18 months I have had thyroiditis and low thyroid function and am now on 100mg of thyroid drug. Did anyone ever find a link between finisteride and thyroid function ???

Thanks
James.

As an experiment should I stop the finisteride for a while ?
I have been using Proscar and Avodart, finasteride, duosteride for close to 4 years.
Do not use it now for over two years.
From my experience the Avodart dose (1pill/day) was reducing my DHT way too much. I was on Androgel while taking Avodart.
You are taking finasteride for a hair loss.
This is on assumption that you have a high DHT and finasteride will get it down.
I suggest that you measure your DHT level and possibly reduce finasteride dose.
From my experience one pill of Avodart a week should do the job.
But I was on Androgel, that raises DHT a lot.
If you do not use testosterone or use T-shots they do not raise DHT. You may need even less than once a week.
Avodart have very long half life (months), so it would be ok to use it sparringly.

You can figure out how much to take by doing this test at Quest Diagnostics:

Dihydrotestosterone (204X)
Males 25-75 ng/dL

You want to be in upper range or slightly over.
Good range (75-90)
============================================

You are taking
"100mg of thyroid drug"

This is most likely pure T4.

Many people have T4--->T3 conversion problem.
They feel much better on Armour Thyroid.
Armour have T4 & T3

pmgamer18 (Phil) have given you good advice on thyroid.

When you want to do good testing, do these tests:

7 • Iodine Panel - (2503)
8 Selenium
9 Copper, serum
10 Zinc

27 T3 Free
28 T4,Free
29 reverse T3 (rT3)
30 Ultrasensitive TSH
31 Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (7260X)

17 • Iron and Iron Binding Capacity (7573X) - (356N)
18 • Iron, Total (571X) - (24984P)
19 • Ferritin (457X) - (22764P)
20 • Transferrin (891X) - (30346P)
21 • Folate, RBC & Hematocrit - (1768N)
22 • Hemoglobin A1c (496X) - (45484P)
23 • Hemoglobin, Plasma (514X) - (7211P)

superone

Awards
  • Established
I have been using Proscar and Avodart, finasteride, duosteride for close to 4 years.
Do not use it now for over two years.
From my experience the Avodart dose (1pill/day) was reducing my DHT way too much. I was on Androgel while taking Avodart.
You are taking finasteride for a hair loss.
This is on assumption that you have a high DHT and finasteride will get it down.
I suggest that you measure your DHT level and possibly reduce finasteride dose.
From my experience one pill of Avodart a week should do the job.
But I was on Androgel, that raises DHT a lot.
If you do not use testosterone or use T-shots they do not raise DHT. You may need even less than once a week.
Avodart have very long half life (months), so it would be ok to use it sparringly.

You can figure out how much to take by doing this test at Quest Diagnostics:

Dihydrotestosterone (204X)
Males 25-75 ng/dL

You want to be in upper range or slightly over.
Good range (75-90)
============================================

You are taking
"100mg of thyroid drug"

This is most likely pure T4.

Many people have T4--->T3 conversion problem.
They feel much better on Armour Thyroid.
Armour have T4 & T3

pmgamer18 (Phil) have given you good advice on thyroid.

When you want to do good testing, do these tests:

7 • Iodine Panel - (2503)
8 Selenium
9 Copper, serum
10 Zinc

27 T3 Free
28 T4,Free
29 reverse T3 (rT3)
30 Ultrasensitive TSH
31 Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (7260X)

17 • Iron and Iron Binding Capacity (7573X) - (356N)
18 • Iron, Total (571X) - (24984P)
19 • Ferritin (457X) - (22764P)
20 • Transferrin (891X) - (30346P)
21 • Folate, RBC & Hematocrit - (1768N)
22 • Hemoglobin A1c (496X) - (45484P)
23 • Hemoglobin, Plasma (514X) - (7211P)

Just because you have hairloss doesnt mean you have high DHT levels, most people have normal DHT levels and this includes people who have hairloss. People who suffer from hairloss, their hair follicles are just sensative to DHT no matter what levels you have, and androgens, and since propecia lowers most of your type 2 DHT, it stops and reverses hairloss for most people.

I personally think lowering DHT SUCKS, but its the best treatment that we have today to stop and reverse hairloss.

Ceasar123

Awards
I believe yes there is a connection, as finasteride decreases the DHT it increases the estrogen hormone which in turn decreases free T3 and free T4(thryoid's homones) (estrogen and thyroid hormones works against other.)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am interested in this as well as I too have low DHT. I have never been diagnosed with a thyroid problem though. I am getting so tired of no libido that I am thinking about getting some proviron.
You can get DHT cream. Should work better than proviron.

I'm on TRT and my DHT is bottom of the barrel.. Thinking it is linked to accutane use since it greatly reduces T -> DHT conversion. It only does this permanently with a small number of users though, but these effects are documented.

edit: just noticed the date of the post..

wtfhello

Awards
after fin i have also hashi's.... and low thyroid

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
after fin i have also hashi's.... and low thyroid
hashi=autoimmune disease

do not eat nightshades

always good to eliminate wheat
----
Low DHT
Androgel spread the thinnest possible over shaved skin may help.
I use thighs and calves. 2x/day two pumps each time
Shower in the morning, put pants on, wait for completely dry skin, then apply Androgel, 6+ hrs latter apply second time.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Gotta apply Androgel to your sack for increased dht

damage007

damage007

Banned
Awards
Yes, Androgens and estrogens play a huge role in thyroid function.
DHT is responsible for inhibiting excess thyroid cell proliferation.
Men with lower androgen levels are more susceptible to HYPER and HYPO thyroidism, hypo because of possible estrogen dominance, and hyper because DHT is regulatory on cell growth.

J Endocrinol. 1996 Nov;151(2):185-94.
Inhibitory effect of dihydrotestosterone on human thyroid cell growth.
Rossi R1, Zatelli MC, Franceschetti P, Maestri I, Magri E, Aguiari G, Cavazzini P, degli Uberti EC, del Senno L.
Author information
Abstract
Sex steroid-binding activities have been identified by several authors in normal and pathological thyroids and the expression of the canonic androgen receptor (AR) has recently been demonstrated in human thyroid follicular cells. In order to assess what influence, if any, androgen exposure has on thyroid cell growth, the effect of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on [3H]thymidine (thy) incorporation and cell proliferation was investigated in thyroid follicular cells in vitro. In a primary culture of goitrous cells, DHT induced a significant reduction of [3H]thy incorporation at concentrations ranging from 10(-12) to 10(-8) M, with a more pronounced effect at 10(-9) M. At this concentration, the inhibitory effect was evident after both 24 and 48 h of treatment and in various types of primary thyroid cell cultures. In goitrous cells, the DHT-induced decrease of [3H]thy was associated with a reduction of expression of the proliferation-associated nuclear Ki-67 antigen, a protein commonly used to assess cell growth fraction. In TPC cells, an AR-positive thyroid papillary carcinoma cell line, DHT at concentrations between 10(-12) and 10(-8) M significantly decreased the growth rate. DHT (10(-9) M) produced an approximately 50-60% inhibition of cell proliferation and the antiandrogen cyproterone acetate was capable of reversing such effects. The DHT-induced reduction of TPC cell proliferation was associated with a significant reduction of c-myc RNA levels. Thyroperoxidase mRNA levels and thyroglobulin production were not reduced by androgen in primary cultures of goitrous cells. In conclusion, our results indicated that androgens may have a role in this gland by reducing the proliferation, but not the function, of follicular cells.
PMID: 8958778 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]