Low DHT and Thyroid disease?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Low DHT and Thyroid disease?

I've been taking finasteride for 6-7 yrs for hair loss. It stopped my receding hairline and I have a full head of hair still, when everyone else in the family has gone bald. I haven't noticed any serious sexual side effects( although a decrease in libido which I attributed to age,34yrs old now, but havn't had T or E tested as of yet) My question though, is could there be a connection between chronic thyroiditis ( hashimoto's) and low DHT. I was recently diagnosed with this, and wonder if there is a connection. I have low thyroid #'s with thyroid antibodies and they say that mostly women are diagnosed with this disorder. Anyone else notice a connection between low DHT and thyroid disease?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raw1973
    I've been taking finasteride for 6-7 yrs for hair loss. It stopped my receding hairline and I have a full head of hair still, when everyone else in the family has gone bald. I haven't noticed any serious sexual side effects( although a decrease in libido which I attributed to age,34yrs old now, but havn't had T or E tested as of yet) My question though, is could there be a connection between chronic thyroiditis ( hashimoto's) and low DHT. I was recently diagnosed with this, and wonder if there is a connection. I have low thyroid #'s with thyroid antibodies and they say that mostly women are diagnosed with this disorder. Anyone else notice a connection between low DHT and thyroid disease?
    I am interested in this as well as I too have low DHT. I have never been diagnosed with a thyroid problem though. I am getting so tired of no libido that I am thinking about getting some proviron.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raw1973
    If you have this problem it can cause all kinds of things to go low DHEA, Cortisol I found a lot of help at this site.
    Stop The Thyroid Madness Index Page
    I read some where if you go on Armour and get your TSH down very low the AB's will stop attacking.
    Phil
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

finisteride and thyroid

Hi,

I have been on finasteride for hair loss for about 3 years. In the last 18 months I have had thyroiditis and low thyroid function and am now on 100mg of thyroid drug. Did anyone ever find a link between finisteride and thyroid function ???

Thanks
    James.

As an experiment should I stop the finisteride for a while ?
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jim81 View Post
    Hi,

I have been on finasteride for hair loss for about 3 years. In the last 18 months I have had thyroiditis and low thyroid function and am now on 100mg of thyroid drug. Did anyone ever find a link between finisteride and thyroid function ???

Thanks
    James.

As an experiment should I stop the finisteride for a while ?
    I have been using Proscar and Avodart, finasteride, duosteride for close to 4 years.
    Do not use it now for over two years.
    From my experience the Avodart dose (1pill/day) was reducing my DHT way too much. I was on Androgel while taking Avodart.
    You are taking finasteride for a hair loss.
    This is on assumption that you have a high DHT and finasteride will get it down.
    I suggest that you measure your DHT level and possibly reduce finasteride dose.
    From my experience one pill of Avodart a week should do the job.
    But I was on Androgel, that raises DHT a lot.
    If you do not use testosterone or use T-shots they do not raise DHT. You may need even less than once a week.
    Avodart have very long half life (months), so it would be ok to use it sparringly.

You can figure out how much to take by doing this test at Quest Diagnostics:

Dihydrotestosterone (204X)
    Males 25-75 ng/dL

You want to be in upper range or slightly over.
    Good range (75-90)
    ============================== ==============

You are taking
    "100mg of thyroid drug"

This is most likely pure T4.

Many people have T4--->T3 conversion problem.
    They feel much better on Armour Thyroid.
    Armour have T4 & T3

pmgamer18 (Phil) have given you good advice on thyroid.

When you want to do good testing, do these tests:

7 Iodine Panel - (2503)
    8 Selenium
    9 Copper, serum
    10 Zinc

27 T3 Free
    28 T4,Free
    29 reverse T3 (rT3)
    30 Ultrasensitive TSH
    31 Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (7260X)

17 Iron and Iron Binding Capacity (7573X) - (356N)
    18 Iron, Total (571X) - (24984P)
    19 Ferritin (457X) - (22764P)
    20 Transferrin (891X) - (30346P)
    21 Folate, RBC & Hematocrit - (1768N)
    22 Hemoglobin A1c (496X) - (45484P)
    23 Hemoglobin, Plasma (514X) - (7211P)
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    I have been using Proscar and Avodart, finasteride, duosteride for close to 4 years.
    Do not use it now for over two years.
    From my experience the Avodart dose (1pill/day) was reducing my DHT way too much. I was on Androgel while taking Avodart.
    You are taking finasteride for a hair loss.
    This is on assumption that you have a high DHT and finasteride will get it down.
    I suggest that you measure your DHT level and possibly reduce finasteride dose.
    From my experience one pill of Avodart a week should do the job.
    But I was on Androgel, that raises DHT a lot.
    If you do not use testosterone or use T-shots they do not raise DHT. You may need even less than once a week.
    Avodart have very long half life (months), so it would be ok to use it sparringly.

You can figure out how much to take by doing this test at Quest Diagnostics:

Dihydrotestosterone (204X)
    Males 25-75 ng/dL

You want to be in upper range or slightly over.
    Good range (75-90)
    ============================== ==============

You are taking
    "100mg of thyroid drug"

This is most likely pure T4.

Many people have T4--->T3 conversion problem.
    They feel much better on Armour Thyroid.
    Armour have T4 & T3

pmgamer18 (Phil) have given you good advice on thyroid.

When you want to do good testing, do these tests:

7 Iodine Panel - (2503)
    8 Selenium
    9 Copper, serum
    10 Zinc

27 T3 Free
    28 T4,Free
    29 reverse T3 (rT3)
    30 Ultrasensitive TSH
    31 Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (7260X)

17 Iron and Iron Binding Capacity (7573X) - (356N)
    18 Iron, Total (571X) - (24984P)
    19 Ferritin (457X) - (22764P)
    20 Transferrin (891X) - (30346P)
    21 Folate, RBC & Hematocrit - (1768N)
    22 Hemoglobin A1c (496X) - (45484P)
    23 Hemoglobin, Plasma (514X) - (7211P)

Just because you have hairloss doesnt mean you have high DHT levels, most people have normal DHT levels and this includes people who have hairloss. People who suffer from hairloss, their hair follicles are just sensative to DHT no matter what levels you have, and androgens, and since propecia lowers most of your type 2 DHT, it stops and reverses hairloss for most people.

I personally think lowering DHT SUCKS, but its the best treatment that we have today to stop and reverse hairloss.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

I believe yes there is a connection, as finasteride decreases the DHT it increases the estrogen hormone which in turn decreases free T3 and free T4(thryoid's homones) (estrogen and thyroid hormones works against other.)
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde12 View Post
    I am interested in this as well as I too have low DHT. I have never been diagnosed with a thyroid problem though. I am getting so tired of no libido that I am thinking about getting some proviron.
    You can get DHT cream. Should work better than proviron.

I'm on TRT and my DHT is bottom of the barrel.. Thinking it is linked to accutane use since it greatly reduces T -> DHT conversion. It only does this permanently with a small number of users though, but these effects are documented.

edit: just noticed the date of the post..
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Test results, low DHT and DHEA?
    By lexmuscle in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 07:32 PM
  2. Being referred to an endo for low-T and Crohns Disease.
    By Beastmagic in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM
  3. Need a good endo that can deal with low test and thyroid in NC please
    By ratdog in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM
  4. *HELP*Low Testosterone and Cardio Disease
    By THOR65 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
  5. Epistane and Thyroid Disease