HGH and Insurance Coverage

IronGrip

Awards
I know there are a few people here with Medco insurance. For those of you that take HGH and have Medco as your insurance carrier, do they cover your HGH use? Thanks.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I know there are a few people here with Medco insurance. For those of you that take HGH and have Medco as your insurance carrier, do they cover your HGH use? Thanks.
Yes if you have a pituitary problem.
Phil

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Kim and I decided today that we are no longer going to work with insurance companies to get GH paid for in my patients. I had to pay my secretary almost two hours for absolutely no good result. We're done fighting with them.

My guys call their insurance companies to find out if they pay for GH. The insurance companies say "yes". But they won't tell what the criteria are for provision. Then we have to go through all the paperwork and phone call after phone call trying. In the end, no GH and I have lost about $50 in labor--money and precious time (not including mine) just thrown away.
Dr John;
You must have had cases that were paid by insurace.
I assume that getting paid by insurance is in large measure a function of specific company.
What was your success with
Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Sheld?

The other reason for getting paid, may be a particular diagnosis and their related ICD-9 code.
Would you please help us here and post those ICD-9 codes that got paid.

IronGrip

Awards
Kim and I decided today that we are no longer going to work with insurance companies to get GH paid for in my patients. I had to pay my secretary almost two hours for absolutely no good result. We're done fighting with them.

My guys call their insurance companies to find out if they pay for GH. The insurance companies say "yes". But they won't tell what the criteria are for provision. Then we have to go through all the paperwork and phone call after phone call trying. In the end, no GH and I have lost about $50 in labor--money and precious time (not including mine) just thrown away.

I'd be willing to pay for the "negotiations" if I knew that, in the end, I would be covered. What is the required diagonosis to sustain coverage?

wildfox

Awards
  • Established
Dr John;
You must have had cases that were paid by insurace.
I assume that getting paid by insurance is in large measure a function of specific company.
I agree. I am actually quite dismayed at how much influence my employer has on what is covered. It really comes down to what they are willing to pay for their part of the premium. They try to cut their costs by cutting coverages off of a checklist. And of course these HR drones are hardly qualified when it comes to medicine.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I am actually quite dismayed at how much influence my employer has on what is covered. It really comes down to what they are willing to pay for their part of the premium. They try to cut their costs by cutting coverages off of a checklist. And of course these HR drones are hardly qualified when it comes to medicine.
We as patients and our doctors have to deal with reality as it is today.
Our doctors by virtue of dealing with many situations may learn (if they are willing and have a time) what works and what not work in a way of getting reimbursment from insurance. With that knowledge they may, in some situations, decide on diagnosis (and ICD-9 code that goes with it) that have a higher probability of getting reimbursment.
------------------
I do not have a good example but I think this may help:
I am 66 yo, married and have all children I want, so getting HCG for my testosterone deficieny or ED (enter proper ICD-9 code) probably will not be covered by insurance. But I just recalled, I have a young girl on a side that I want to get pregnat, HCG will help me with fertility (enter proper ICD-9 diagnose code) also insurance probably would pay for this (diagnose).
-------------------
Doctor knowing details may be helpfull if he presents options to the patient.
--------------------
When I go to LabCorp to donate blood, there are flyers that explain why patients should make sure their doctors give them proper ICD-9 code, so they have a better probability of getting insurance to pay for the tests.
--------------------
Insurance payment is often decided by doctors action or in action. Actually it does not have to be a doctor himself, I was able, one time, to straighten up some of my codes by sympatetic nurse at my doctors office. Properly trained nurse is a treasure.