adrenal crisis?

raw1973

Awards
After not tolerating Prescribed Armour I started to self-treat with HC. Worked Armour back in and felt good but decided to wean off HC (after one month on 20mg) for proper testing.
Stopped the Armour first, then started dropping 5mg a week and felt OK a little " out of it" for a day or two after each drop but then settled down. Moved final dose of 5mg to afternoon to allow morning cortisol to rise. Droppped final dose and next day was faint, dizzy, loss of appetite, anxiety and had to take 5mg at 1pm then at 5pm to be safe.
What I don't understand is, If i'm running fine at 5mg that means my body is producing most of the cortisol for the day. Why then, would the final 5mg drop, push me into crisis? -Thanks in advance-Rob

Jawohl

Awards
After not tolerating Prescribed Armour I started to self-treat with HC. Worked Armour back in and felt good but decided to wean off HC (after one month on 20mg) for proper testing.
Stopped the Armour first, then started dropping 5mg a week and felt OK a little " out of it" for a day or two after each drop but then settled down. Moved final dose of 5mg to afternoon to allow morning cortisol to rise. Droppped final dose and next day was faint, dizzy, loss of appetite, anxiety and had to take 5mg at 1pm then at 5pm to be safe.
What I don't understand is, If i'm running fine at 5mg that means my body is producing most of the cortisol for the day. Why then, would the final 5mg drop, push me into crisis? -Thanks in advance-Rob

Great post. Good to see someone doing things methodically and keeping notes regarding the adrenals. We just need enough of us doing the same and maybe we can finally elucidate the reality with hc in regards to suppression.

- Jawohl

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
First why stop the Armour this is what made you crash it takes time to get out of your body how long can't say. But a lot of people that feel they need to come off HC to see if there Adrenels will work never stop there Armour once you have a thyroid problem it's rare it gets better.
Phil

raw1973

Awards
First why stop the Armour this is what made you crash it takes time to get out of your body how long can't say. But a lot of people that feel they need to come off HC to see if there Adrenels will work never stop there Armour once you have a thyroid problem it's rare it gets better.
Phil
I stopped the armour because I cannot tolerate it without the HC ( which is why I started in the first place) I want to get my adrenals checked also before I start a long period trying to optimize Armour dosage. It was my mistake to trial HC first before testing, but I wanted to see if it would make a difference and my Doc didn't seem interested in adrenal testing when I brought it up. It certainly made a difference, also joint pain and allergies got better on HC, but I had a couple visual migraines, which I hadn't had in couple years. Didn't know if it was the HC, Armour, or coincidence so decided to come off everything for more testing. Gotta find new Doc though....--Rob

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I stopped the armour because I cannot tolerate it without the HC ( which is why I started in the first place) I want to get my adrenals checked also before I start a long period trying to optimize Armour dosage. It was my mistake to trial HC first before testing, but I wanted to see if it would make a difference and my Doc didn't seem interested in adrenal testing when I brought it up. It certainly made a difference, also joint pain and allergies got better on HC, but I had a couple visual migraines, which I hadn't had in couple years. Didn't know if it was the HC, Armour, or coincidence so decided to come off everything for more testing. Gotta find new Doc though....--Rob
I hear ya same crap here I had to fight like hell to get my thyroid and low cortisol treated. I am not coming off anything until I get stable on Armour. Then I will try coming off HC a little at a time every 4 months. I don't think in my case I will be able to be off a low dose my Pit. is bad.
Phil