Stress dosing with HC when sick? Dr. John?

raw1973

Awards
I've been weaning off of Cortef for testing(only on for 2 weeks and 2 weeks on Isocort ). I was down to 5mg taken in afternoon and was about to drop last dose, when I caught a cold 2 days ago. I've had a low grade fever 99.5-100.7 last two days (I'm hypothyroid so my temp usually is 96.5-97.5). I don't know if I should increase HC during sickness.
I don't want to backpedal on my tapering dosage, but don't want to hurt myself from a lack of cortisol. I have extra HC and I also have Isocort I could supplement. Thanks in advance.---Rob

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I've been weaning off of Cortef for testing(only on for 2 weeks and 2 weeks on Isocort ). I was down to 5mg taken in afternoon and was about to drop last dose, when I caught a cold 2 days ago. I've had a low grade fever 99.5-100.7 last two days (I'm hypothyroid so my temp usually is 96.5-97.5). I don't know if I should increase HC during sickness.
I don't want to backpedal on my tapering dosage, but don't want to hurt myself from a lack of cortisol. I have extra HC and I also have Isocort I could supplement. Thanks in advance.---Rob
Did you feel any difference while on Cortef or Isocort?
What was your maximum dose and for how long?

raw1973

Awards
I did feel better the two weeks on Isocort, because I had what I believe to be an adrenal crash after starting Thyroid treatment. I worked up to 15mg then crossed over to HC working up to 20mg. When I reintroduced the thryoid I had no trouble tolerating it. I then got the stomach flu and stress dosed for a couple days up to 30-35 mg then back to 20mg. I was on it for a total of 2 weeks then started to taper down for testing.( I know i should have done this first) Been a month now of HC total with tapering down to 5mg. While tapering I did notice days of dizziness, and low blood pressure. But I seemed stable at the final dose of 5mg after lunch, then got sick couple days ago. I also take licorice, ginseng, glandulars, and Vit. B,C, and multi. --Rob

raw1973

Awards
Dr. Thierry Hertoghe taught me that just a bit of HC can stave off illness when administered at the first sign of same.
That's funny you should mention Dr. Thierry Hertoghe, I just bought his book, " the hormone solution", very interesting and informative. I like his approach to overall hormone therapy.
Well, I ended up taking an extra 5mg Isocort around 11:00am temp dropping within an hour. Took my usual 5mg HC at noon temp hovered around 99 all day till I dropped 5mg Isocort at
5pm -hour later temp was down to 97.9 and stayed that way up until this morning. Last couple weeks I had tapered quickly to 5 mg, and was stable ( or at least my temps and physical state) but obviously illnesses demand extra cortisol. I wonder if I should stress dose for a couple more days. Hmm...

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
That's funny you should mention Dr. Thierry Hertoghe, I just bought his book, " the hormone solution", very interesting and informative. I like his approach to overall hormone therapy.
Well, I ended up taking an extra 5mg Isocort around 11:00am temp dropping within an hour. Took my usual 5mg HC at noon temp hovered around 99 all day till I dropped 5mg Isocort at
5pm -hour later temp was down to 97.9 and stayed that way up until this morning. Last couple weeks I had tapered quickly to 5 mg, and was stable ( or at least my temps and physical state) but obviously illnesses demand extra cortisol. I wonder if I should stress dose for a couple more days. Hmm...
Dr. Jefferies in his book states to stress dose at the first sine of Flue then it will go away in 1 or 2 days he does 5mgs. of HC 4x's a day and says to stress dose to do 10mgs 4x's a day. Then to taper back to your normal dose do not just drop down after stressing taper back to your normal dose.
SAFE USES OF CORTISOL
Phil