All About AndroGel - A One Stop Thread

Blesum

Blesum

Maestro
Awards
What is AndroGel?

It is a gel with testosterone in it that is rubbed on the skin. Your body then absorbs the testosterone.

Official website: Androgel

FAQ from the website:
1. Why has my doctor prescribed AndroGel?
2. What is a normal level of testosterone?
3. Why haven’t I heard about Low T before?
4. What is in AndroGel?
5. Why do I need to take AndroGel every day?
6. Will AndroGel improve my sperm production?
7. How is AndroGel supplied?
8. I’m used to the packets. Does the AndroGel Pump have the same medicine?
9. How should I use the AndroGel Pump?
10. How should I use the AndroGel packet?
11. Where should I apply AndroGel?
12. How well does AndroGel work?
13. Does AndroGel have any side effects?
14. Is AndroGel safe?
15. Can I take AndroGel if I’m taking other medications?
16. What if I miss a dose?
17. What if someone else is exposed to AndroGel?
18. Who should not use AndroGel?
19. Do I have to go back to the doctor after starting AndroGel?

Dr. John here at Anabolic Minds is our medical expert on Androgel. Dr. John has stated that he does "a fair amount of teaching for Solvay Pharmaceuticals, makers of Androgel." He also trains "physicians on TRT medicine, as well their Reps." Most of my information comes from his various posts spread all over these forums.

He has expanded more on the actual application process in this thread: questions about androgel
Here is a copy of my exact instructions for my patients:

HOW TO APPLY TESTOSTERONE GEL

Squeeze all of the gel from the foil packet, the tube, or the number of pumps if using the pump bottle, into a cupped palm. Gently press your two palms together. When you separate your hands, you will have very nearly half of the gel on each palm. Do not rub your hands together. Try to keep the gel on the palms, instead of getting between the fingers. Then simply cross your arms, wiping the gel over your shoulders and upper arms. Thus apply most of it across your upper arms and shoulders. Absolutely avoid the area where they draw the blood from. Finish off by wiping what is left down your FLANKS (sides of your abdomen—not the middle). Then thoroughly wash your hands. Once you have washed them, there is no worry whatsoever about accidental transferal to others, as there is none left on the surface to transfer. Studies have shown this, and also that merely putting on a T-shirt to cover the exposed areas will do the same for the rest of you. If you had to, you could shower in an hour or so, without appreciable loss of testosterone delivery, as the gel soaks into the skin, and the skin acts as the actual reservoir for dispensation of the drug. You wouldn’t want to do this all the time, but swimming or showering in a pinch can be done. It's still a good idea to take a quick shower before engaging in intimacy.

As an alternative with the pump bottle, you can apply half the total number of pumps to one palm, apply to the opposite side of the body, and then repeat for the other side. This makes it less likely to induce waste of the product.

For maximum effect, apply the gel within 3 minutes of showering.

You want a delay of at least two hours after application before drawing labs.
One thing to look for is "frosting" - a white residue on your skin after the alcohol evaporates. This means one of two things, or a combination of both: The Androgel is not being spread around enough, or your skin is not absorbing the product well.

I have only begun using Androgel nearly a month ago. I notice I have a bunch left over on my hand after applying it to my upper and lower arms. What I used to do was to wet my hands with some water and wipe off the excess on my upper thights, thinking I'd get more testosterone for my 5 grams that way until I saw this post from Dr. John in the same thread as above:
It has been shown that the greater the surface area of transformation, the greater is the proportionate conversion to DHT and E. So try to keep it down. Unless you are having a "testosterone frost", as I like to call it, cut down on the area. So this idea of mixing with water on your hands is not a good idea. Instead, keep the gel in the cupped palm area, so as to not get it amongst the fingers. I know, I know, it takes some work.
He also mentions in the same thread and in another one that it is very important to not apply any androgel on the same day in the area that any bloodwork might be drawn from as it will throw off the numbers considerably.

How can one improve the absorbing qualities of this product?
In this thread, How much DSMO? two options are discussed. The first being using DSMO (an product that improves the transdermal [skin] delivery of products), and the second being rubbing it on one's nuts.

There was a debate on whether DSMO was even a good idea with a prescribed product. The general census was that it could work, but would not be ideal. Going to an injectable if one needed/wanted that much testosterone would be better.

It was also concluded that rubbing it on the nuts was a bad idea due to the high amount of 5 Alpha Reductase in the scrotum and thus a potentially very high conversion to DHT. The nuts' close proximity to the prostate is also rather alarming.

How much of a rise in my testosterone can I expect?
I get my first post-Androgel bloodwork drawn this Wednesday. I will let you know the results. I did see a result posted somewhere here of going from the high 100's to the low 800's on 5g a day.

What kind of products should be run alongside with Androgel? I have not done much research into this yet. This is just what I have in my notes currently - I will be doing more research soon.

HCG: Prevents testicular atrophy. Somewhere I saw a recommendation of 100 IU 3 times a week. Bobo warns that constant use of HCG is bad news with the body desensitizing down the road.

Amiridex: Lowers/controls estrogen. Saw a recommendation of 0.25 (failed to write if g, mg, iu or what) 3 times a week.

Other resources:
Administrator B5150 here is on Androgel HRT as well and often has some good answers on Androgel related questions. He encourages exfoliating the application area with a loofah of some sort in the shower prior to application.

This post will be updated as I discover more information or get corrected if there are any mistakes I might have made. I just wanted to put together a post that I wish existed when I began my research so others wouldn't have to spend so much time working the search function.

If you have any questions, ask away and they'll be added to this post along with the answers.

-Blesum