Latest bloodwork. weird findings

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
As Ive mentioned in a few other posts, I have been battling low test (and possibly thyroid issues) for a while now; with at least one test a couple years ago of very low free and total test (and high cortisol) and TWO recent tests.

Here are the two recent tests, plus my latest bloodwork from about a week ago. The latest bloodwork is after about 12-13 days of androgel at 50mg a day (1 packet).

8/26
LH: 1.6 (1.5-9.3)
FSH .5L (1.4-18.1)

Total Test 164 (241-827)
Free Test 5.2L (9.3-26.5)

Prolactin 9.7 (2.1-17.7)
Fasting Cortisol: 29.3 (4.3-22.3)

oct 16 (unsure of ref ranges)
LH 1.93
FSH 1.10
free T4 1.37
TSH 2.45
T3 78.
Total Test 268
Estradiol-17b <20
Cortisol (non-fasting) 17.9

10/27 LATEST WORK WITH ANDROGEL

T4 4.35 (5-12)
t3 64 (40-180)
FSH <.1 (.7-11.1)
LH .120 (.8-7.6)

Total Test 1442 (250-1100)
Free Test % 3.59 (1-2.8)
Free Test 517 (35-155.0)

I dont have estradiol from the latest, but the doctor wanted to REDUCE my Androgel to every other day (EOD) because the free and test are so high. He did not suggest ANYTHING for the low fsh and lh, and I cannot understand what has happened. Any insight would be great. the bloodwork looks like I am ON something, but could 50mg of androgel have those results. And shouldnt I be taking HCG right now because of the low fsh and lh?

kincaiddave

Awards
I dont have estradiol from the latest, but the doctor wanted to REDUCE my Androgel to every other day (EOD) because the free and test are so high. He did not suggest ANYTHING for the low fsh and lh, and I cannot understand what has happened. Any insight would be great. the bloodwork looks like I am ON something, but could 50mg of androgel have those results. And shouldnt I be taking HCG right now because of the low fsh and lh?
I would first be concerned about the test being acurate or not. That seems like an abnormally high T level from only 1 packet per day. I think that the test is in error unless you weigh about 50 lbs. :icon_lol:

Your system has detected the strong response from the gel and has reacted with the low fsh and lh. This is completely normal and expected.

HCG would be nice for more than one reason, but you have to get your high T level under control first.

I think it would make more sense to switch to the AndroGel pump and try a lower dose every day. The pump puts out 1.25g per pump. With the lower dose every day, your levels wouldn't fluctuate so much like they would if you skip a day. Read more about the pump here http://www.androgel.com/images/ProfessionalInfo.pdf under Dose and Administration.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I would first be concerned about the test being acurate or not. That seems like an abnormally high T level from only 1 packet per day. I think that the test is in error unless you weigh about 50 lbs. :icon_lol:

Your system has detected the strong response from the gel and has reacted with the low fsh and lh. This is completely normal and expected.

HCG would be nice for more than one reason, but you have to get your high T level under control first.

I think it would make more sense to switch to the AndroGel pump and try a lower dose every day. The pump puts out 1.25g per pump. With the lower dose every day, your levels wouldn't fluctuate so much like they would if you skip a day. Read more about the pump here http://www.androgel.com/images/ProfessionalInfo.pdf under Dose and Administration.
I completely agree on both accounts. I tried having the doc do a retest and you refused.....wants to wait another 3-4 weeks.

I thought of the pump as well but did not raise the issue with him. Damnit, its so frustrating with this doc. its like i have to pick and choose what 'points' to bring up.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How close to your application of AndroGel did you draw blood?

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
application was about 1pm the previous day. blood drawn around 9 am next morning (fasted).

Could the results have been high even I had put the gel (and rubbed in well) on the arm they drew blood from? Even if I had put the gel on at 1 the previous day (did not shower after)??

I remember hearing something about this from pmgamer on another board.

Last edited:

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Just got some more extended data from the 13th back (middle date testing)

LH 1.93
DHEA 317 (160-800)
DHEA-s 126 (110-510)
GH .4 (<5)
ACTH 17 (7-50) Does this mean my adrenals are ok?

SHGB 24 (7-50)
% free 2.43 (1-2.8)
Free 78 (35-155.0)
Total test 358
LH was also within 'normal' range

That shed anymore light? Should I not be on any androgel at all? and will the 50mg EOD keep me suppressed?

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
application was about 1pm the previous day. blood drawn around 9 am next morning (fasted).

Could the results have been high even I had put the gel (and rubbed in well) on the arm they drew blood from? Even if I had put the gel on at 1 the previous day (did not shower after)??

I remember hearing something about this from pmgamer on another board.
Yes if you put the gel on the day before and do a test in 24hrs. The gel is still on your skin sticking the needle into that area will still spike the test. I never seen a test this high on just 5 grams of Androgel. Never do Androgel every other day WTF is your Dr. thinking. Your going to feel like **** up the day you use the gel and down the next day you don't use it. Plus your body will go nuts trying to bring you back up.
Phil aka pmgamer

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Just got some more extended data from the 13th back (middle date testing)

LH 1.93
DHEA 317 (160-800)
DHEA-s 126 (110-510)
GH .4 (<5)
ACTH 17 (7-50) Does this mean my adrenals are ok?

SHGB 24 (7-50)
% free 2.43 (1-2.8)
Free 78 (35-155.0)
Total test 358
LH was also within 'normal' range

That shed anymore light? Should I not be on any androgel at all? and will the 50mg EOD keep me suppressed?
When you did this test when did you use the gel. Now your test is to low. Ask your Dr. to up your gel to everyday and do 7.5 grams. Then the next test you do make sure the gel was not in the area of the blood draw and try to do the test 4 to 5 hrs after putting on the gel. Or do the test first then put on the gel. I did it this way for yrs. I got up took a shower did the test at 8am then put on the gel.
Phil

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
The last results I posted were from BEFORE i started the androgel, they just were a bit more detailed so I added them in, sorry for the confusion.

As for the doctor wanting me to do 1 50mg androgel every other day....I dont have any appointment until december, I tried calling him today about the pump and he shut it down. What would you guys recommend? Stick to the Every other day (IS THERE ANY JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS USE?) or should I use half a packet every day (and put the other half in a small ziplock baggie?? or will it evaporate out??)

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
The last results I posted were from BEFORE i started the androgel, they just were a bit more detailed so I added them in, sorry for the confusion.

As for the doctor wanting me to do 1 50mg androgel every other day....I dont have any appointment until december, I tried calling him today about the pump and he shut it down. What would you guys recommend? Stick to the Every other day (IS THERE ANY JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS USE?) or should I use half a packet every day (and put the other half in a small ziplock baggie?? or will it evaporate out??)
Yes do it everyday even if you end up pitching it you can't do gels every other day I know I tried it.
Phil

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
The GH assay is useless unless it is a long serial draw, or is used as part of a GH stim test.
thanks Dr. John. Anything other input as to the every other day androgel dosing or possible mistakes in the testing? (if it was an error in testing, would the lh and fsh still be low...ie supressed?)