New to AM intro and about TRT with other pre-existing conditions

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.5%

New to AM intro and about TRT with other pre-existing conditions

Hello all. I am a new member here, so this will be my first post. I am someone who is on lifetime warfarin therapy and currently taking TRT. After reading around here and getting a general feel of most people's support and help, I feel confident enough about sharing my medical history and terminal condition. A little history on me: I am a 33 year old male and have been bodybuilding for about 8 years now. Though I'm usually private about it, I feel revealing my condition is prudent to showing that fitness and health can always be obtainable and not impossible. I have been HIV positive since I was 19, having had an occupational exposure, as I was getting into the dental field to become a dentist. Because of this, I decided to take charge of my health and get into fitness. HIV, and/or the medications I am on, predisposed me to hypogonadism, at an early age. I was started on TRT at the age of 25. About 3 years ago, I started developing a lot of shortness of breath, high blood pressure and heart palpitations. A year later, it became so bad, I was in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism to my right lung. All of this occurred, despite me being in perfect health, HIV-wise and immunologically. It was found out that I have a heart condition known as atrial fibrillation. This was what was causing the shortness of breath, hypertension and palpitations and caused a clot to form in the heartvalve, which later caused an embolism in my lung. Therefore, I have to be on warfarin permanently, not only to prevent another pulmonary embolism, but also to prevent a possible cerebral embolism. As far as TRT and warfarin, if you choose to go this route, you should have very close medical supervision. My primary care HIV physician, cardiologist, pulmonologist and endocrinologist all follow me closely, as a team, with this particular combination. Fortunately for me, they are all very fitness oriented, as well, and even supervise carefully studied/planned anabolic regimens they cycle me through. A lot of factors come into play with this, though, as I must commit to going for weekly doctor visits/blood tests because so many things come into balance in a situation like mine. Firstly, TRT, as well as anabolics, tend to thin the blood in addition to warfarin's effect, as most of you are probably aware of. Secondly, I am on beta blockers, which could interact with certain anabolic agents. Thirdly, I take a lot of HIV meds and this throws another wrench into the mix, so all 4 of my doctors frequently meet on my condition and progress. I guess the only good thing about it is that I never have to really worry about post cycle therapy when they put me on an anabolic cycle. What ends up happening is that my cardiologist monitors my blood pressure, beta blocker medications and INR, while my endocrinologist makes sure TRT isn't putting me into a supraphysiological range and also keeps close watch of LH, FSH, thyroid and other various hormone levels. My pulmonologist keeps close watch of my pulmonary vessels, lung function, Co2/O2 levels, while my HIV physician keeps watch over immune function and making sure there is no possible exacerbated immune depression from any excess hormone levels. I feel with the correct medical supervision, personal commitment and, of course, doctors who are knowledgeable in HRT, nutrition and fitness, TRT can be successfully possible. Keep in mind, though, that with other pre-existing conditions, you want to have physicians who are willing enough to ensure aggressive, fully monitored treatment. I realize my post is a little long and drawn out, but I just wanted to give you an idea of my situation in hopes that others can make good, informed decisions. It does take some work but I wish anyone in a similar situation, the best of luck. Take care and be well.
    Marco-Antonio

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.59%

Thanks for the honesty..Getting real like that is what helps us all learn.
  3. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Thanks spacemonkey. Again welcome.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Welcome.
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.86%

Welcome and way to keep up the fight!!!
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.5%

Thank you to everyone for welcoming to the forum. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone, as this forum has educated me on a lot of things I never knew before. By the way, I've learned a lot from reading your material, Dr. John. From it, I have realized that TRT involves a lot more than just replacing what the body isn't producing since it is a very intricate balance of various factors. In my opinion, it is amazing how very little other doctors know of the specific knowledge of TRT. This site even helped to educate my own endocrinologist. Anyhow, take care everyone and thanks again.
    Marco-Antonio

Similar Forum Threads

1. HELP im brand new to body building and am excited to start
    By markg35x in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 01:43 AM
  2. New to AM and PH need help!
    By DrewMedic in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 08:20 PM