Brain Fog after exercise!!!!!

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys I am wondering if you have any thoughts on the following: I know the following might seem a bit strange, but....

I have returned to graduate school and notice that for time periods when I am not exercising my brain feels sharper and my ability to learn and retain the material I am in class to lear is much better. When I am on an exercise program (even with relatively low volume and intensity) my brain feels pretty dull and I do not understand nor retain the material I am supposed to learn as readily or at all.

I am wondering if anyoen has thoughts as to what possible hormonal internal mechanisms may be playing a role here. I really don't want to not work out but its seems like I can not keep up in school if I am on any kind of regular workout program.

Mr.50

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Guys I am wondering if you have any thoughts on the following: I know the following might seem a bit strange, but....

I have returned to graduate school and notice that for time periods when I am not exercising my brain feels sharper and my ability to learn and retain the material I am in class to lear is much better. When I am on an exercise program (even with relatively low volume and intensity) my brain feels pretty dull and I do not understand nor retain the material I am supposed to learn as readily or at all.

I am wondering if anyoen has thoughts as to what possible hormonal internal mechanisms may be playing a role here. I really don't want to not work out but its seems like I can not keep up in school if I am on any kind of regular workout program.

Mr.50
I’m the exact opposite. I take a week off from working out every 8 weeks. Im almost done a week off peroid now. I start going back to the gym on Wednesday. Anyways, I’ve noticed I have been screwing up at work much more lately on simple little things since I haven’t been going to the gym. Im finding it harder to focus and concentrate when I dont go to the gym :(

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
any thoughts? Burnt out brain chemicals? ????

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I would do some tests what comes to mind are Cortisol a morning test Thyroid. Most men doing exercise there T levels go up unless they are over doing it.
Phil

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. Would love to rep you if I could.

Mr.50

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Rep me what is this I am game for anything except the unknown.
Phil
Ok I see now I am slow today brain fog from low adrenals and Thyroid in bad need of a new body. :cheers:
Phil

1cc

Awards

Mr.50
You can check adrenals and thyroid.
For Adrenals do saliva cortisol labs at Metametrix Clinical Laboratory - Nutritional and Biochemical Testing, blood cortisol is unreliable . Four saliva samples are taken during the day, and you will be able to see at what times of the day your cortisol goes low. Also do blood DHEA Sulfate.
For thyroid do blood TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. Hopefully these will give you a clue.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
any thoughts? Burnt out brain chemicals? ????
Thoughts yes but I don't know if they are worth a damn. I was wondering about bloodflow.......concerned that maybe your lungs weren't taking in enough oxygen or that it wasn't being exchanged efficiently by the heart....so your exertion was leading to bad oxygen to waste gas ratios in the blood.

BUT....I have no medical training. That's just what came to mind when I read this.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like reasonable thinking also. I agree. by all other accounts I should be in pretty good cardio health but you never know.

Mr.50

Thoughts yes but I don't know if they are worth a damn. I was wondering about bloodflow.......concerned that maybe your lungs weren't taking in enough oxygen or that it wasn't being exchanged efficiently by the heart....so your exertion was leading to bad oxygen to waste gas ratios in the blood.

BUT....I have no medical training. That's just what came to mind when I read this.

tomall2

Awards
You would think the opposite would hold true - better focus and such as a result of training (the whole oxygen getting pushed throughout your body, including the brain). Better to get it checked out by a professional, because who knows what could be going on. Like someone else said it could just be from overtraining also. Best of luck.

1cc

Awards
Both yeahright and tomall2 have made very good points. A more thorough evaluation is necessary.

PIOTREK

PIOTREK

Awards
Although I do not have an explanation for this, I too have experienced this. Also, I have given up whey protein powders as I have nearly convinced they make my brain "fuzzy" for lack of a better term. Neurotransmitters being used up for exercise perhaps?

deejer67

Awards
Okay, it is 6 years after your post. Have you found a solution to your "Brain fog after exercise?" Thanks.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Okay, it is 6 years after your post. Have you found a solution to your "Brain fog after exercise?" Thanks.
Low adrenal out.put.be most.logical conclusion or.blood pressure or sugar drop.