when to get labs done By Dr. Marianco.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead21
I have been on androgel for 2 and 1/2 years. I am going to get my test and free test taken in about a week. I was wondering when is the best time to get that done? The doctor told me 2 hours after I apply the gel. Last time I had labs done I got them done 20 hours after I applied the transdermal gel and my total testosterone was 224 ng which is 200ng lower than where I started. What do you all think? I think me and the gel are done!

The best time to get labs when using an alcohol-based gel is just before applying the gel. This gives you the lowest amount of testosterone, which can then be used to make decisions.

On average, the lab can be done at least after 4 hours of application of the testosterone gel. On average, that is. It depends on the absorption and that particular person's half-life for testosterone.

The problem with transdermal testosterone is that it has to be applied to the widest area of skin possible to get the best absorption and to get the most consistent blood levels. If it is not spread to a wide area, then the fat under the skin can get oversaturated with testosterone, causing the testosterone to be absorbed directly into the blood stream. This causes the levels to not be consistent - causing a larger peak and quick drop off of testosterone levels.

If a person is a good absorber of testosterone, a 5 gram pack of Androgel can get their levels up to 750 ng/dl. But many people do not absorb it well and can instead get lower testosterone levels than when they started.

A 10 gram pack of Androgel gives more consistently higher testosterone levels than the 5 gram pack.

If the 10 gram pack is not well absorbed, one possible cause is thickened skin due to hypothyroidism - called Myxedema. This may be suble particularly if the person is not obese. One patient, for example, on a testosterone gel, dropped his total testosterone from 840 ng/dl to about 500 ng/dl once his thyroid hormone levels dropped. Low thyroid hormone may also cause insulin resistance. Low thyroid hormone and insulin resistance (high insulin levels) both reduce SHBG. This can reduce the half-life of testosterone and its subsequent blood levels.

Note that symptoms of hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue can be the same as symptoms of low testosterone. Hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue may be each more common than hypogonadism. Hypothyroidism can be genetic or environmentally induced. Adrenal fatigue is most commonly induced by stress - of which there is a lot in modern society. When thyroid function and adrenal function are optimal, sex drive can be maintained even at low levels of testosterone (e.g. 250-300 ng/dl).
Any statement I make on this site is for educational purposes only and is subject to change. It does not constitute medical advice, does not substitute for proper medical evaluation from physician, does not create a doctor/patient relationship or liability. If you would like medical advice, you will have to make an appointment. Thank you.