My bloodwork in - is my T low?

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
I recently went to my doc for a general physical, and he ordered some bloodwork to check my cholesterol and a few other things. While we were at it, I asked him to get my testosterone checked as well, so we threw that in.

The results came in the mail, and here is what it said:

Testosterone Total = 2.88 ng/ml

Range is listed as 1.68-7.46

I am 57 years old, so am I really in the "normal" range? According to the result, I am, but it sure seems low.

What do you think?

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
Your getting old my friend, no offense..
If you feel fine, i wouldn't worry about it..
People sometimes blow numbers up out of proportion believing they should fall in a certain range and if they don't, there not normal..

If you feel good, I wouldn't worry about it..
If you don't, talk to your doctor about options you may have..

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I recently went to my doc for a general physical, and he ordered some bloodwork to check my cholesterol and a few other things. While we were at it, I asked him to get my testosterone checked as well, so we threw that in.

The results came in the mail, and here is what it said:

Testosterone Total = 2.88 ng/ml

Range is listed as 1.68-7.46

I am 57 years old, so am I really in the "normal" range? According to the result, I am, but it sure seems low.

What do you think?
The problem with "normal" within a range (and the range itself) is that it is not age range specific.

When we look at numbers and realize we are "normal", that fails to distinguish between what is "normal" for a 30 year old, 57 year old, or 80 year old. In addition, between 30, 57 or 80 year olds there are individual ranges. A 57 year old with value of "X" may feel great, while another at 1.5X may feel cruddy.

Here is the good news: You have a baseline value. More good news - there is a WEALTH of information available on this subject, as well as relative assessments that can be found on the net. But, that will take an investment of time - you are going to have to weed through A LOT of information.

It all starts with how you are feeling? BTW - since you (and most people, including me) do not have baseline numbers from when you were younger, it can be difficult to figure out if previously were always on the high side, low side, or somewhere in between.

I hope that make sense - if not - a word picture: Some cars run great on 87 octane, others need 89, and others need 91. You have to figure it out. Unfortunately, the way our bodies "ping" is less obvious than a car.

While testosterone does, indeed, decline as a function of age - no one needs to sit back and simply accept it. The reality is there is a lot we can do (both endogenously and endogenously) to change that. You may want to look at some of the many books addressing this. I especially like "Natural Hormonal Enhancement"; although its content BY FAR exceeds just testosterone - but rather the cascade of hormones that influence it. It is not inexpensive (nor easy to find), but (for me) it was a great investment.

Lastly, low T (as its now called) is positively correlated with some tremendously crappy health effects, including cardiovascular disease.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
U might feel ok, but you could just be "used to" low T. There is a night and day difference between avg and optimal. When administered correctly under the care of a medical doctor, there is no reason NOT to utilize TRT at a certain age. Testosterone is responsible for soo much more than muscles and sex drive. It is crucial for optimal health, especially heart and prostate health. If you are low, even if indont have symptoms, I would request test from my doctor. I am 26 and had to go on for a year. I felt incredible and luckily was able to fix my issue via a clomid restart. But I have EVERY intention of going back on TRT once I have children and no longer need my little swimmers ;)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I agree w/ what CP says; at 57 there is no issue with TRT (and at a younger age, if that is what it takes).

The only downside is when one takes TRT (or PH, of DS, or AS) for a prolonged period, and do not need it, natural T production takes a massive hit - but we all know that (or we wouldn't be on this website)

And as to TRT, there are options (largely transdermal vs. injections).

The point is, feeling good is very important - so between changes in lifestyle and diet and (if necessary) TRT, you can change things in a very positive way.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input everyone - keep it coming!

A little more background info on me:
*Have trained seriously with weights ever since I was 18
*Got involved in competitive bodybuilding in the 90's
*Competed in 3 non-tested shows as a natural (I am sure the winners were getting pharmaceutical help!)
*For the past 10 years I have played golf from April-September, then hit the gym the other 6 months
*Last winter I worked out every other day (legs, chest/back, delts/arms) and made fantastic gains (it comes back fast)
*Have dabbled with stuff from PP, and last winter I tried products from Forerunner (Alpha Mass, 5-Alpha Test)
*Have some AMS Decavol, but have not tried it
*Have some IBE Epi, but have never tried it
*No problem with depression or bad moods - in fact, I am viewed as a very happy and positive person with lots of energy!

Golf season is now over, and I am back in the gym (a few weeks of overall, all-body workouts before breaking down to the split routines). My younger brother (54) is a powerlifter who recently got on test and he thinks it really helps him. He's not injecting - just has some kind of transdermal test his doc told him to purchase from a compounding place. I was just wondering if I would make better gains this winter if I also gave it a try, but didn't want to mess with it if my test levels were normal.

As I said, I made great progress last winter, so I'm not sure the test is needed, but you know how some of us are . . . . . we always want more! My best attribute is my attitude: I believe that I work harder in the gym than anyone else. I don't stand around talking, I don't get on my phone (don't even have it with me), I don't take long breaks between sets, I give 100% effort on every set and try to use strict form - you get the picture. I might not be as tall as most or as young, but I figure I can outwork everybody in the gym, and that's my advantage.

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would say you're a candidate for TRT, but it's a big decision. It's a lifelong choice, not easy to stop at all, especially the longer you are on. Once you go on you're basically dependant on exogenous test for life. I made the decision to go on TRT with similar values at age 32.

Before you make a decision though, find out if you are primary or secondary. You'll have to run more tests to be certain.

With your current test levels, I wouldn't want to mess with any prohormones or hormones at all. It will be very difficult to recover, any suppression you get from the hormones will causes your levels to go far below bottom of range and likely completely shut you down, even a mild PH. Something to consider.

If you decide not to go on TRT, I would definitely stay away from any and all prohormones / hormones, for your own health.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
One thought was that if I did go on TRT, I wouldn't need to use any PH's.

Also, as I said, I have used some very mild ones in the recent past, and have recovered fine.

Done having children as well, so sperm count is not an issue.

Cost might be a factor, though. If a doc prescribes it, will insurance cover TRT? (probably depends on one's policy, I know . . .)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can do a quick check on price with your provider and see.

Also a thing to consider is that you wouldn't have to worry about recovery from anything, if you decide to start. Not trying to push you in either direction though.

Sperm count could possibly be recovered using HMG/HCG, would be a process though and would require coming off of TRT for a while. You could maintain sperm production if you use HCG as part of your TRT protocol as well, depending if you are primary or secondary hypogonadal.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One thought was that if I did go on TRT, I wouldn't need to use any PH's. Also, as I said, I have used some very mild ones in the recent past, and have recovered fine. Done having children as well, so sperm count is not an issue. Cost might be a factor, though. If a doc prescribes it, will insurance cover TRT? (probably depends on one's policy, I know . . .)
If you had to pay out of pocket for test, it's not that expensive. Shop around at different pharmacies to find the best price. Syringes are cheap too. No need for PH's on TRT. I think it would cause problems with your test levels.