Frequent blood donations and low ferritin

Onenut

Awards
First, I'd like to thank all of the people who post on this forum. If not for you guys, I'd still be following my original endos advice and doing a big T dose every 2 weeks. And I'd still be using that big bore 1-1/2" needle instead of the tiny 27g.

I thought my recent experience with low ferritin levels might save somebody else some misery. The summary is that you need to get you ferritin checked if you do frequent blood donations to lower your hematocrit.

Now for the detailed version...
I've been on TRT for about 3 and a half years now. During the last year or so I have been taking 140 mg of testosterone cyp a week split in 2 doses and .75 mg/week of anastrozole split in 4 doses. In the first few years, I had periods where I took much more T believing that if some testosterone is good, then more is better (its not) and the only downside seemed to be having to donate lots of blood to keep my hematocrit levels down.

I have high hematocrit from TRT, so I would do several 'double red' donations a year which would keep my hematocrit level in the mid to high 40s. As soon as I was eligible for another donation, I would do it. When you do the donation, they say they check your "iron". But they are checking hemoglobin, not iron. My hemoglobin was always on the high end when they tested me at the donation center.

In October I started having headaches every day and my energy levels dropped. And I felt pressure in my face all day starting about 10 am and it was slightly red. My thought at the time was that it was related to e2 issues or maybe high hematocrit.

I ordered a the typical hormone panel including CBC on the internet in late November. I also happened to add an anemia panel. All the hormone levels were in my usual range (Test=1003, Free T =28.2 pg/ml and E2= 20.4). The only issue on the report was that my ferritin was at 18 ng/ml (healthy range is 30 to 400). The other iron related results were all in range, so I didnt think anything of it. I showed the results to my TRT doc and he didnt think it was an issue. His recommendation was that I give him a grand or two to do neurotransmitter testing. (I didnt do it and I will be looking for a new dr)

Then in January I did another blood donation and things got real bad. My mood was terrible and I had no patience at all. I had no energy, no sex drive, I had trouble breathing after going up a flight of stairs, my vision was a little blurry, my mind was foggy. I also had some classic thyroid issues like cold hands and feet. It was really bad.

Then I finally got around to researching the symptoms of low ferritin. They matched my issues almost exactly. I started taking three 25mg iron pills a day about 2 weeks ago and I feel much better.

The only remaining issues are the headaches and facial pressure and those are not every day anymore. I believe that the facial pressure issue is related to adrenal stress. When it kicks in, I look and feel like I am under a lot of stress or really pissed. And if I actually am under any stress, the facial pressure is much worse. I read that "Good iron levels are needed for thyroid to be able to convert properly (T4 to T3) and for T3 to get to the cells as it should. Low iron causes extreme adrenal stress as your body cannot utilize thyroid properly (even your own) unless these levels are correct.". This would explain both my adrenal fatigue symptoms and thyroid symptoms. Hopefully once the ferritin issue is corrected, these other issues will be resolved also.

My plan is to take the iron pills for another 2-4 weeks and then get my ferritin and hematocrit retested and also my thyroid. I want to get my ferritin levels back in the mid range, but I need to be sure my hematocrit doesnt shoot up too high. I'm doing the thyroid since I have not had that tested in over 3 years and I want to rule out any thyroid issues.

I have also dropped my T dose down to 100 mg a week with the goal being to lower my hematocrit levels and eliminate, or greatly reduce, the need for blood donations. I'll lower it more if needed. Being healthy (and alive!) is much more important than the extra 5 or 10 pounds of muscle.