What causes a "pump"?

spinn

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

My situation is complicated but I had lyme disease for 32 years (doctors do not treat it) and was essentially near death until I was cured 3 years ago. I somehow managed to lift throughout that entire ordeal. While I am technically cured, a lot of damage was done. One source of frustration is that when I work out, I do not get "pumped" at all and after lifting do not feel much other than joint soreness. I am in the gym lifting and running 4 days a week but am not progressing. I work out as hard as I can but am generally fatigued and my workouts seem to be around 30% of what they need to be, if that. I was wondering what causes your body to get pumped? I have tried NO@2 and it did not help. I am getting frustrated by the fact that I am doing the work but not progressing. I did have Low T when I was sick but have resolved that. Any clues would be appreciated.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

My situation is complicated but I had lyme disease for 32 years (doctors do not treat it) and was essentially near death until I was cured 3 years ago. I somehow managed to lift throughout that entire ordeal. While I am technically cured, a lot of damage was done. One source of frustration is that when I work out, I do not get "pumped" at all and after lifting do not feel much other than joint soreness. I am in the gym lifting and running 4 days a week but am not progressing. I work out as hard as I can but am generally fatigued and my workouts seem to be around 30% of what they need to be, if that. I was wondering what causes your body to get pumped? I have tried NO@2 and it did not help. I am getting frustrated by the fact that I am doing the work but not progressing. I did have Low T when I was sick but have resolved that. Any clues would be appreciated.
Low e2 or high e2 can cause this. You may need to add more elecrolytes to prework out drinks. If I do not have my sea salts and potassium there is no pump in the gym..

spinn

Awards
  • Established
My e2 is usually in the low middle of the range. IE 7-10 with a range of 0-30. I am not sure what you mean by your sea salts and potassium. Is this a product you sell?

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Captain Matrix Old Fashioned Sea Salts + Potassium. I don't hit the weights without it.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I am going to try this for a month or so. Any advice on how much to take and when?

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
I am going to try this for a month or so. Any advice on how much to take and when?
I was kidding, but I have heard that large amounts of potassium will give you awesome pumps. Not sure about sea salts.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
I am having a hard time figuring out the dose. WebMD says the daily requirement is 4700 mgs a day but all of the supplements I can find say to take about 300 mgs a day. Which is it?

ELo

ELo

Awards
First of all, I hope that the 4700mgs your referring to is potassium and not any kind of salt. Adding large amounts of sodium chloride to your diet can be very unhealthy on many levels. Also, mega loads of potassium can act as a diuretic and can cause unnecessary stress on the kidneys if water intake isn't compensated for. That being said, I didn't see mention of any preworkout supps. Have you tried any? Many of them claim to offer a few different ingredients that work in combination to give good pumps. I did see that you've tried NO2 supps. Which ones? The "pump" your asking about isn't necessarily the hard science answer you might be looking for. The pump is that intense, swollen, feel your heart beat in the muscle you just got through tearing to pieces with the iron feeling. NO2 products are supposed to be Vasodilators(increase the size of blood vessels so that more oxygen and nutrients can pass through at a given moment).This would "in theory" increase blood flow to muscles being worked thus increasing "the pump". It could possibly be your diet. I always smash at least 400 cal of Carbs before and immediately after my workout! Food for thought. Sorry about the Novel

ELo

ELo

Awards
i read a study that proposed greater gains from incorporating sets in your workout that were designed to force excessive amounts of blood into the targeted muscle group, thus stretching the facia of the muscle tissue and allowing more room for growth. we all know that HGH is the only thing that can create new muscle fibers(working out just creates bigger muscle fibers), but what happens when you start to get to the point where your facia can no longer hold the muscle that is in it? your gains will start to slow, so this study proposed that by adding a set of 20-25 reps on the end of an exercise and forcing huge volumes of blood into the muscle, we could create new room for growth, and thus more potential for growth

double drop sets and such also work well for this
I agree with this. I finish every exercise with drop sets. It's a painful way to finish a set but the pumps are untouchable!

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I use a product called Elyte along with some emergen-C gives me about 600-900 mgs of potassium throw in 1/2 tsp of real salt you are good to go.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Carbs

Carbs create the pump you are looking for

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Proper assimilation of carb.could.be the solution.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
Interesting. Show us a set/ entire workout that you are doing for a pump?