Prolactin Agonists

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was recently at my PCP for an anual male wellness check-up. This included a general annual exam which included the usual CMP, CBC, PSA, Lipid, digital prostate exam as well as Total/Free testosterone, LH, and prolactin (she knows I am a TRT patient - not complete but she is my PCP) and I requested a full cardio exam (stress test, echo, etc).

The interesting thing was aside from my test being on the high range (she is a PCP so i did not argue the point) my prolactin was at 25.2 (2.5-22.5 Senora Quest). I am by no means symptomatic. But I did find this to be quite concerning in general as I have been a frequent user and sometimes over user of the prescription sleep aid Temazepam and the OTC Unison (Doxylamine Succinate) and recently prescribed Trazadone (an alternate to Temazepam) and just today filled a trial prescription of Buspar (busporine) for stress and anxiety.

It does seem that this is not a casual correlation.

Temazepam:
The neuro-endocrine impact of 3-hy... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1983] - PubMed - NCBI

Trazodone:
Trazodone treatment increases plasm... [Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

Buspar:
Increased prolactin response to buspirone in... [J Affect Disord. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

Unisom (Doxylamine Succinate) is also a culprit but I do not have any references.

It appears that it is an issue with drugs that are D25-HT1A, serotonin and/or dopamine D2 receptor agonist (beyond my knowledge of physiology).

She immediately mentioned bromocriptine and another (not cabergoline) to reduce prolactin. Of course we discussed the benign pituitary edenoma but as recently as four to five years ago I had my hypogonadal pre-treatment pituitary MRI that was negative at the time.

This is more of an FYI post and not a how can I solve this mystery. My plan is to cease use of said drugs and retest in 6 to 8 weeks. But I just thought I would share.

Discuss :)

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Prolactin Agonist

What solution will you now seek to sleep?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not a total insomniac but I do struggle from time to time to get more than a full 5-6 hours. It is hereditary (not that this is an excuse or minimizing the issue) as my grandfather (deceased) and mother are both 4 or 5 hour sleepers who have admittedly experienced a decline in the hours of sleep they needed to function well as they aged. Both were/are healthy otherwise. I simply miss the feeling of being in an out cold deep sleep for 7-8hrs or more that I used to experience in my youth. Quite honestly these light weight drugs didn't really make my sleep that much more deep or complete. I am likely going to look into pre-sleep hygiene and relaxation issues in general.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great post.

I experience the same type of issues with sleep; sometimes I just want to "check out" for 7 hours or so without waking up 4 hours in. Good info on reasons to stay away from the protocols I have used as well.

If you find something exceptional, please pass it along!

A

Able825

Awards
i have been dealing with controlling my prolatin levels on trt. doc gave me caber to initially bring levels down but then did some google research on my own and found that aspartame can lead to high prolactin levels in some people. after i cut my diet coke consumption (it had become a bit excessive) i have been able to cut out the caber and now only take some extra vit b6 a few times per week.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have been dealing with controlling my prolatin levels on trt. doc gave me caber to initially bring levels down but then did some google research on my own and found that aspartame can lead to high prolactin levels in some people. after i cut my diet coke consumption (it had become a bit excessive) i have been able to cut out the caber and now only take some extra vit b6 a few times per week.
Thanks for the tip. Very informative.

Although, the studies are contradictive:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2923074
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/49/3/427.full.pdf

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Not to sidetrack too much, but it would be great to have a definitive answer on aspartame's effects on insulin.
That said, I too am on TRT and also have a (hopefully benign) pituitary edenoma. No doctor has ever inquired as to my prolactin.

F

funick972

Awards
Prolactin is produced in the body in response to inflammation.Some cytokines Il-2 IL-6 when auto immune reactions and food sensitivities are present activates prolactin production along with thyrotrophin-releasing hormone due to cellular hypothroidism.Cellular zinc depletion lead to hyperprolactinemia when the following issues takes place:Methylmercury(canned tuna) and organic mercury(dental amalgam) toxicity,copper imbalences,calcium depletion to name a few.

Toxic drugs impairs the liver and lead to methylation defects.Neurotransmitters are produced in the gut and the liver.So before taking any prolactin antagonists ask yourself why is your prolactin levels high.Methylation is your biochemistry factory and is where to look before going any further.I higly encourage you to do an organic acid testing and hair tissue mineral analysis under proper supervision.

However natural prolactin antagonists are zinc and vit b6.Too much zinc can lower your copper levels and too much b6 will give you neurological symptoms.Be carefull!Good luck

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
How are you doing on the buspar/Trazadone? If you are having adverse effects and only have mild stress/anxiety bali kratom may be an option. You have to be careful with it but once you "learn it" it can be helpful especially with sleep-keep the dosage low and only use it when you need to.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have just come of off a 12 week lay off from the gym due to an open hernia procedure. I have lived on a stress PM of gym at 4:00AM every day for 8 years or so. I am back to the gym regularly and not using anything for stress except what is my tried and true mind, body and spirit therapy; a little scripture and a good amount of hypertophy. I have not used the buspar but for a couple days after filling the prescription and once in a while one tab of Trazadone but too often.

Tell me more about the bali kratom.

D

dezzy78

Awards
I am not a total insomniac but I do struggle from time to time to get more than a full 5-6 hours. It is hereditary (not that this is an excuse or minimizing the issue) as my grandfather (deceased) and mother are both 4 or 5 hour sleepers who have admittedly experienced a decline in the hours of sleep they needed to function well as they aged. Both were/are healthy otherwise. I simply miss the feeling of being in an out cold deep sleep for 7-8hrs or more that I used to experience in my youth. Quite honestly these light weight drugs didn't really make my sleep that much more deep or complete. I am likely going to look into pre-sleep hygiene and relaxation issues in general.
I used to use a lot of benzo's mate, by a lot i mean 50+ 10mg tablets a day, which my doctor found hard to be-leave but you and me both know how easy it is to build up a tolerance on any benzo tablets, anyway i got off them some years back, but i also struggled to sleep, my doc was going to give me tamazepam lol, but i asked for something else ( very hard to do ha ), i got mirtazipine, now I used to take it and 1 hour later I would be out like a light, and get 8 hours sleep, at first I used to feel heavy getting up, but that went after time and I still got sleep, still take it 6 years on, and it still knocks me out, 15mg is for sleep, any more than that and it acts as an anti depressant I train a lot through the day now, so taking that on a night is a god-send, as it chills me out, only side effect is it makes you hungry as hell 30mins after taking it, and you can put on wight if u over eat, hope this helps some, take care

D

dezzy78

Awards
I to found the gym to be a life-saver, after many years of not going through benzo taking ha, now I am back it is great, and it changes your outlook once again and for the better, i always give the things I do 100%, so the gym has filled a big gap,