New to TRT, Thoughts on 6 Week Test?

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
Hey gents,
This is my 1st post, so bear with me. I started TRT about 6 weeks ago at 200mg once per week of test cyp. For my 1st follow up lab, my doc instructed me to have the test done the day prior to my injections, however I inject on Sunday, and did not get to the lab until the following Tues morning. The dr was aware of this and had no issues. When I received the results I was a bit surprised. Total test 541 (348-1197) and free test 15.1 (8.7-25.1). These numbers are much lower than I expected on 200mg/ week. I'm still learning about half life and wondering if my results are to be expected having tested at day 9? I know that labs are really the only way to know for sure, but is there a way to estimate what my peak levels were based on the half life?

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
To add a point of clarification, I didn't not inject the Sunday prior to my test. I had the shot Tuesday after the lab work. Thanks

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Wait so you skipped the Sunday shot, meaning your last shot was 9 days before? Your blood results sound correct then

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, if you are talking 9 days, then that sounds about right, especially in the beginning. After you have been on for a few months, you tend to keep higher readings and you may be a bit higher. The problem with that is that doctors see the higher reading and assume that long intervals between shots is fine. What they aren't taking into account is that you probably blasted to 1600 for a few days and then tapered down. Going that high and dropping is terrible for your mind, body, and mood.

texastea

Awards
I think JanZ posted a chart years ago that showed estimated levels based on various dosages. Might take a bit of a search to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hey gents,
This is my 1st post, so bear with me. I started TRT about 6 weeks ago at 200mg once per week of test cyp. For my 1st follow up lab, my doc instructed me to have the test done the day prior to my injections, however I inject on Sunday, and did not get to the lab until the following Tues morning. The dr was aware of this and had no issues. When I received the results I was a bit surprised. Total test 541 (348-1197) and free test 15.1 (8.7-25.1). These numbers are much lower than I expected on 200mg/ week. I'm still learning about half life and wondering if my results are to be expected having tested at day 9? I know that labs are really the only way to know for sure, but is there a way to estimate what my peak levels were based on the half life?
These levels are normals. Rule of thumb for testing. Same time same lab same day. Accuracy is crucial for proper therapeutic out come.
Kind of concerns me estrodial was not tested which questions is the Dr up to date on current TRT protocols.

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
Thanks for the replies. I'm still learning so it's good to hear that the range is normal for that duration. I asked my dr about estradiol and was told that it wasn't necessary this time. He did check estradiol in my initial labs prior to treatment and it came back at 12.1 (7.6-42.6 range). I will insist it be checked as part of my next labs. My labs prior to treatment for test were, testosterone serum 246 (348-1197) and free testosterone 6.0 (8.7-25.1). I'm considering asking my doc for permission to spilt the dose every 3.5 days for a more stable level.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wasn't a believer until I tried every 3.5-4 days. I thought it couldn't get better than every 6 and I didn't want to pin that often, but I can say without question that it is the way to go. Everything is just so level and right.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I wasn't a believer until I tried every 3.5-4 days. I thought it couldn't get better than every 6 and I didn't want to pin that often, but I can say without question that it is the way to go. Everything is just so level and right.
I'm down to 50 every four days now and liking it. E2 is down but hgb and hct are still up a bit. Might even go down to 40 every four days...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I have Dr start patients out on 40 mg 2 times a week test in 5 weeks

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
What are the average levels at 40mg twice a week?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
What are the average levels at 40mg twice a week?
If other factors are in check, they feel.better then people.on 200 mgs per week would.with out causing other imbalances. This approach requires.less.meds less variables. Why.you.need.to.address.the whole person not.just hormones. This is why people never get well. See it.on a daily basis.

trn450

trn450

Awards
Typically they want you to give your most recent dose the day before getting your levels checked. At 200mg/day, those numbers would have been a bit surprising to me under those conditions. However, if you did wait 9 days as you say, then I'm in agreement that they sound totally expected.

Just an FYI, according to UpToDate.com's review of the literature, physiologic levels were most typically achieved with good and stable blood levels when given with increased frequency. The most common of which being at 100mg/wk. 200 q2 weeks and 300 q3 weeks were also noted to be effective, although less stable. At 400 q4 weeks there was a significant drop in blood testosterone levels below the normal ranges bottom value quite frequently.

So, in terms of achieving physiologic levels, I'd ultimately expect you to be closer to 100 than 200 mg/wk, honestly. If you want your levels to be as close to physiologic as possible, make sure you comply with the timing in the future.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, you come in here giving some pretty bad info. Maybe try being on TRT and having a little knowledge before passing any along.

trn450

trn450

Awards
Yeah, you come in here giving some pretty bad info. Maybe try being on TRT and having a little knowledge before passing any along.
So, if I'm getting this right, kisaj is telling the whole endocrinologic community (who on average have a minimum of 14 years of education and 40,000 to 50,000 hours of training in medicine vs. "you") that the results of their usually well-controlled research into reaching physiologic levels of testosterone as compiled by the medical experts in UpToDate.com are completely wrong?

Okay, glad that's settled. I've been set straight.

On a more serious note, I'll accept the wide criticisms of PCP's in regards to endocrinologic medicine because they're not trained for it. But you guys really have no idea what an endocrinologists training is like nor do you have an appropriate appreciation for their expertise.

*sigh*

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There really is no need to be so dramatic. My point is that we actually are on TRT and regularly see our doctors and endos and know that it is NOT the recommended procedure to take a testosterone lab the day after an injection. That would tell you nothing outside of where you peak, but not real numbers that matter like your trough.

Also, why still mention 200mg e2w and 300mg e3w protocol when it's well known that this is a bad thing? We all know that increased injections improve stability and that is why we inject at minimum once a week.

I'm annoyed with you because it is clear you just read some information online and jumped in here without any real world knowledge.

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
When Is the appropriate time to test E2 levels?

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
Accidentally hit send on my phone. Should e2 be checked with testosterone, at the trough, or are higher E2 levels expected at peak? I'm trying to determine how to time the test for E2 as this is all new to me. Thanks folks.