30 and first round of some blood tests

Rodax

Awards
It's been a while since I posted on here, so sorry about the lack of keeping up on here. Second, I moved recently and started seeing a new Dr. I just turned 30 and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was about 24. So, I'm in for my first appt with this dr and also a yearly checkup for my thyroid. Well I asked him as he was doing blood tests to throw in a total testosterone test and also an growth hormone or IGF test as well (Dad was diagnosed with Acromegaly and I've been checking every 2 years or so). So I got back partial results today (won't get the IGF until Monday). But it turns out my Testosterone levels are sunk. I never did a cycle of anything before to where I shut down. Would my thyroid hormone levels throw everything out to where my T level was well below the acceptable range let alone the average level for my age group?

Lab Test Result Expected Range
TSH Reflex to Free T4 6.5 UIU/mL 0.3-5.1 UIU/mL
Free T4 1.41 ng/dL 0.73-1.95 ng/dL
Total Testosterone 214 ng/dL 292-1052 ng/dL (The avg for a 30 y/o male is supposed to be around 600-700)

So...thoughts? advice? help?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's been a while since I posted on here, so sorry about the lack of keeping up on here. Second, I moved recently and started seeing a new Dr. I just turned 30 and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was about 24. So, I'm in for my first appt with this dr and also a yearly checkup for my thyroid. Well I asked him as he was doing blood tests to throw in a total testosterone test and also an growth hormone or IGF test as well (Dad was diagnosed with Acromegaly and I've been checking every 2 years or so). So I got back partial results today (won't get the IGF until Monday). But it turns out my Testosterone levels are sunk. I never did a cycle of anything before to where I shut down. Would my thyroid hormone levels throw everything out to where my T level was well below the acceptable range let alone the average level for my age group?

Lab Test Result Expected Range
TSH Reflex to Free T4 6.5 UIU/mL 0.3-5.1 UIU/mL
Free T4 1.41 ng/dL 0.73-1.95 ng/dL
Total Testosterone 214 ng/dL 292-1052 ng/dL (The avg for a 30 y/o male is supposed to be around 600-700)

So...thoughts? advice? help?
Honestly, you need to let your endocrinologist and or doc help you with this.
The thyroid can certainly effect hormone levels in both directions kiddo.
It is the first thing my doctor checked when I told him i was depressed and was having some low sex drive etc.
Personally and IMHO, you need to let him diagnosis and treat you with the exact regimen/followups you need.
All the best

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
It's been a while since I posted on here, so sorry about the lack of keeping up on here. Second, I moved recently and started seeing a new Dr. I just turned 30 and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was about 24. So, I'm in for my first appt with this dr and also a yearly checkup for my thyroid. Well I asked him as he was doing blood tests to throw in a total testosterone test and also an growth hormone or IGF test as well (Dad was diagnosed with Acromegaly and I've been checking every 2 years or so). So I got back partial results today (won't get the IGF until Monday). But it turns out my Testosterone levels are sunk. I never did a cycle of anything before to where I shut down. Would my thyroid hormone levels throw everything out to where my T level was well below the acceptable range let alone the average level for my age group?Lab Test Result Expected RangeTSH Reflex to Free T4 6.5 UIU/mL 0.3-5.1 UIU/mLFree T4 1.41 ng/dL 0.73-1.95 ng/dLTotal Testosterone 214 ng/dL 292-1052 ng/dL (The avg for a 30 y/o male is supposed to be around 600-700)So...thoughts? advice? help?
Most endos are not hormone doctors, but trained in diabetes. TSH >2.0 is a red flag for thyroid issues. You need to find out why testosterone levels are that low. There are multiple factors which need to be considered. Number one is SLEEP and thyroid can effect Testosterone levels, but you need to find out why TSH is high most likely secondary hypothyroidism probably due to adrenal insuifficency which also need to be explored. There is no where enough data to begin to make sound recommendation. Further evaluation in numerous areas need to be explored. IF you need a good Dr in your area please PM me and I be glad to assist you.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Most endos are not hormone doctors, but trained in diabetes. TSH >2.0 is a red flag for thyroid issues. You need to find out why testosterone levels are that low. There are multiple factors which need to be considered. Number one is SLEEP and thyroid can effect Testosterone levels, but you need to find out why TSH is high most likely secondary hypothyroidism probably due to adrenal insuifficency which also need to be explored. There is no where enough data to begin to make sound recommendation. Further evaluation in numerous areas need to be explored. IF you need a good Dr in your area please PM me and I be glad to assist you.
Good info there ^^^

Rodax

Awards
So I've been going back and forth to the dr since I last posted. Test level has remained between 215-260 each month...def gonna go the hcg therapy route bc I still want to have kids one day and I'm only 30. Anyone with thoughts advice opinions etc ??? Mind you this is also after I tried using hcgenerate for a month as well and no luck with that bringing my levels up substantially either. Also thyroid tsh lvls are in check now, close to 1