High DHEA-S, Low T.

Mather

Awards
Hello I am 21 and recently had some tests done(I can provide the exact data if needed).

Anyway my free and total testosterone were at the bottom of the interval range for "normal", lower then what they should be. The interesting thing is I have high DHEA-S which means the DHEA-S is not being converted into testosterone.

What could be the cause of this?

acidvoodoo

Awards
need to post numbers ideally.

Could be a sign of adrenal fatigue/stress

Mather

Awards
need to post numbers ideally.

Could be a sign of adrenal fatigue/stress
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 36.2 ng/mL 30.0-100.0 SE

Prostate Specific Ag, Serum 0.7 ng/mL 0.0-4.0 SE

Estradiol 29.1 pg/mL 7.6-42.6 SE

TSH 5.760 uIU/mL 0.450-4.500 SE

DHEA-Sulfate 487.4 ug/dL 211.0-492.0 SE

Reference Range: Adult Male: 30 - 85
Dihydrotestosterone 40 ng/dL ES

Reference Range: Adults: <151
Pregnenolone, MS 180 ng/dL ES

Free Testosterone(Direct) 13.8 pg/mL 9.3-26.5 BN

Testosterone, Serum 471 ng/dL 348-1197 SE

FSH 8.3 mIU/mL 1.5-12.4 SE
LH 6.6 mIU/mL 1.7-8.6 SE

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
HYPOTHYROID

Next step, TSH, FT3, FT4, and Two thyroid antibodies test, examine thyroid for goiter and nodules.
Make sure you are taking thyroid supporting minerals and vitamins.
When your thyroid is slow, normally the Adrenals will be over-worked and stressed to compensate.

acidvoodoo

Awards
Also getting vitamin d up to at least 60 should help. Either sunlight or a quality vit d3 supplement taken with a fat containing meal. Retest in 2 months. Id start with 5000 iu

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hypothyroidism is evident. You need to find out why and see if you are secondary because of low adrenals or ferritin levels. If ferritin or cortisol is out of balance you need to find out why. Before having Dr give thyroid so quick just as they do testosterone keep looking for the root cause.

Mather

Awards
Hypothyroidism is evident. You need to find out why and see if you are secondary because of low adrenals or ferritin levels. If ferritin or cortisol is out of balance you need to find out why. Before having Dr give thyroid so quick just as they do testosterone keep looking for the root cause.
I will have to look up ferritin, my T3 levels are pretty good. I agree, I'm not going to take thyroid or anything which can't be gone off of, finding the root cause is something I want to do.
I have more test results.

Cortisol 14.9 ug/dL 2.3-19.4 SE

Sex Horm Binding Glob, Serum 26.4 nmol/L 16.5-55.9 SE

Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum 3.7 pg/mL 2.0-4.4 SE

Immature Grans (Abs) 0.0 x10E3/uL 0.0-0.1 SE

Immature Granulocytes 0 % 0-2 SE

Baso (Absolute) 0.0 x10E3/uL 0.0-0.2 SE

Eos (Absolute) 0.1 x10E3/uL 0.0-0.4 SE

Monocytes(Absolute) 0.4 x10E3/uL 0.1-1.0 SE

Lymphs (Absolute) 1.5 x10E3/uL 0.7-4.5 SE

Neutrophils (Absolute) 2.4 x10E3/uL 1.8-7.8 SE

Basos 1 % 0-3 SE

Eos 3 % 0-7 SE

Monocytes 9 % 4-13 SE

Lymphs 34 % 14-46 SE

Neutrophils 53 % 40-74 SE

Platelets 154 x10E3/uL 140-415 SE

RDW 13.2 % 12.3-15.4 SE

MCHC 34.9 g/dL 31.5-35.7 SE

MCH 33.0 pg 26.6-33.0 SE

MCV 95 fL 79-97 SE

Hematocrit 45.3 % 37.5-51.0 SE

Hemoglobin 15.8 g/dL 12.6-17.7 SE

RBC 4.79 x10E6/uL 4.14-5.80 SE

WBC 4.3 x10E3/uL 4.0-10.5 SE

T. Chol/HDL Ratio 3.0 ratio units 0.0-5.0 SE

LDL Cholesterol Calc 55 mg/dL 0-119 SE

VLDL Cholesterol Cal 8 mg/dL 5-40 SE

HDL Cholesterol 32 mg/dL >39 SE

Triglycerides 39 mg/dL 0-114 SE

Cholesterol, Total 95 mg/dL 100-189 SE

Iron, Serum 92 ug/dL 40-155 SE

ALT (SGPT) 10 IU/L 0-44 SE

AST (SGOT) 14 IU/L 0-40 SE

LDH 117 IU/L 0-225 SE

Alkaline Phosphatase, S 50 IU/L 25-150 SE

Bilirubin, Total 0.5 mg/dL 0.0-1.2 SE

A/G Ratio 2.0 1.1-2.5 SE

Globulin, Total 2.3 g/dL 1.5-4.5 SE

Albumin, Serum 4.7 g/dL 3.5-5.5 SE

Protein, Total, Serum 7.0 g/dL 6.0-8.5 SE

Phosphorus, Serum 3.9 mg/dL 2.5-4.5 SE

Calcium, Serum 9.1 mg/dL 8.7-10.2 SE

Carbon Dioxide, Total 23 mmol/L 20-32 SE

Chloride, Serum 104 mmol/L 97-108 SE

Potassium, Serum 4.1 mmol/L 3.5-5.2 SE

Sodium, Serum 141 mmol/L 134-144 SE

BUN/Creatinine Ratio 14 8-19 SE

Creatinine, Serum 1.10 mg/dL 0.76-1.27 SE

BUN 15 mg/dL 6-20 SE

Uric Acid, Serum 6.7 mg/dL 3.7-8.6 SE

Glucose, Serum 83 mg/dL 65-99 SE

Mather

Awards
Also I tried takeing an addrenal support suplement and my gyncomastia felt like it started to get worse.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Also I tried takeing an addrenal support suplement and my gyncomastia felt like it started to get worse.
PROLACTIN and PROGESTERONE blood tests, needed.
You don't need cortisol.

Your AST, ALT, VLDL, and Triglycerides are low. This could be very good, OR...
It is time for you to tell us about your height, weight, diet, exercise pattern, MEDS, health history, AAS, etc.

When you say GYNO, do you mean MILK? FAT? LUMPS?

Are you trying to Dx. yourself, with OUT involving a Dr.? (something I associate with)

Mather

Awards
PROLACTIN and PROGESTERONE blood tests, needed.
You don't need cortisol.

Your AST, ALT, VLDL, and Triglycerides are low. This could be very good, OR...
It is time for you to tell us about your height, weight, diet, exercise pattern, MEDS, health history, AAS, etc.

When you say GYNO, do you mean MILK? FAT? LUMPS?

Are you trying to Dx. yourself, with OUT involving a Dr.? (something I associate with)

I will look into getting those tested, I had prolactin tested before but the test isn't on me.

I am 6'2, 210lbs, I eat an organic diet which is balanced except for excludeing red meat, I take no medication nor have I ever. I have one semi-undescended testicle.

The gyno consists of tissue ontop of the pecs, it doesn't feel like fat.

I will involve a doctor, (endo appointment soon) but the doctors I have talked to before have been incompetent and said either 1. everything is normal or planned on giving me T3.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Do you exercise a lot? lots of cardio? are you low Body Fat?
Do you restrict your intake of fatty foods?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol saliva would be best approach. Havemany hidden markers indicating. adrenals and immune system.imbalances..Might have digestive issues needing addresed

Mather

Awards
Prolactin was taken about a year ago:

7.6 ng/ml with "normal interval": 2.1-17.7

Do you exercise a lot? lots of cardio? are you low Body Fat?
Do you restrict your intake of fatty foods?
No, I haven't exercised for 6 months, I stopped because I got no results. My body fat is ~20%

I don't restrict my diet but I don't get the impulse to eat fatty foods except for fried which I eat semi-frequently. I don't like sugar(as in I don't seek it out), I like salt.

Also I don't know if it's relevant or not but I masturbate once every three days, not sure if this has an effect or not.

Cortisol saliva would be best approach. Havemany hidden markers indicating. adrenals and immune system.imbalances..Might have digestive issues needing addresed
Cortisol saliva? My blood cortisol level was taken but this is a different test?

Also have any suggestions of doctors in the south-mid oregon/northcal area?

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Do you eat GINSENG, SOY, SESAME SEEDS, FLAX SEEDS, HUMUS, KIDNEY BEANS, RAW CABAGE, KALE, BROCCOLI? How much?

ENDO will want to put you on SYNTHROID. I would try a thyroid supplement first. (iodine, selenium, iron, thyrosine) Do THYROID problems run in your family?

It hurts to say this, but, I agree with MATRIX. The next step is to evaluate food absorbsion. (it explains a lot of your test results)

The last explaination, I can think of, is, you are starting to develope Primary Hypogonadism.

jsals22

Awards
Was diagnosed w hypo been on synthroid for a month. Have seen two different endos feel I have gyno. Told endos about symptoms and both were adamant it can't affect prolactin. Is this true?
Def feel have hormonal imbalance lack of energy, puffiness in face, small bb like lumps under nipples, loss of libido.

Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

vassille

Awards
Your total cholesterol is 95. Just because is low doesnt mean is good. Cholesterol is the primary raw material for making hormones.
Simply put, your body has run out of raw material to sustain a healthy production of hormones and is stressing the heck out of your body.
Post your daily diet, amount of rest you get.

vassille

Awards
Was diagnosed w hypo been on synthroid for a month. Have seen two different endos feel I have gyno. Told endos about symptoms and both were adamant it can't affect prolactin. Is this true?
Def feel have hormonal imbalance lack of energy, puffiness in face, small bb like lumps under nipples, loss of libido.

Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.
Check estrogen. Puffiness is mostly attribuited to increased estrogen. Def have it checked out, and progesterone while you at it. One of these 2 will be high.

jsals22

Awards
Thanks I asked endo to order E2 prolactin and prog and her response was what did you used to use steroids. Need to find endo that will work w me.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Thanks I asked endo to order E2 prolactin and prog and her response was what did you used to use steroids. Need to find endo that will work w me.
This is why I order my own blood tests. Got sick of Dr. trying to save the insurance company $7.
When I finally did get my E2, SHBG, FT levels, from my own blood tests, they showed exactly what I suspected.
ENDOs are the worse.

jsals22

Awards
I have seen two different endos in 2 weeks and both dismissed my symptoms and my suggestions of what I wanted tested. Its sad I feel they let their egos get in way of helping me feel better.

jsals22

Awards
I would be completely lost w out this forum. Granted there is a lot of "bro-science" but there are a lot of informed knowledgeable members on AM.

Mather

Awards
Do you eat GINSENG, SOY, SESAME SEEDS, FLAX SEEDS, HUMUS, KIDNEY BEANS, RAW CABAGE, KALE, BROCCOLI? How much?

ENDO will want to put you on SYNTHROID. I would try a thyroid supplement first. (iodine, selenium, iron, thyrosine) Do THYROID problems run in your family?

It hurts to say this, but, I agree with MATRIX. The next step is to evaluate food absorbsion. (it explains a lot of your test results)

The last explaination, I can think of, is, you are starting to develope Primary Hypogonadism.
I eat Humus 4/week 2-3 spoonfulls, the other things I don't eat often. I won't be takeing thyroid replacement.

How would I go about finding food absorption problems?

Also in terms of hypogonadism I would like to try clomiphene to see if it would raise test.

Your total cholesterol is 95. Just because is low doesnt mean is good. Cholesterol is the primary raw material for making hormones.
Simply put, your body has run out of raw material to sustain a healthy production of hormones and is stressing the heck out of your body.
Post your daily diet, amount of rest you get.
Morning: 5-6 eggs, fried, poached or scrambeled along with mushrooms and onions. Sometimes turkey bacon.

Lunch: Soup or sandwhich, chips.

Dinner: Chicken, Salmon, Tuna or some other fish, vegetables cooked in frying pan, potatoes and chips. I also eat almond butter and fruit.

I get about 10hours of sleep.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
GINSENG is VERY VERY HIGH source of phytoestrogen. Garbanzo beans also have some.
If you consume enough of these high phytoestrogen foods it will interfer with your thyroid and ERs.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established

Also in terms of hypogonadism I would like to try clomiphene to see if it would raise test.
MATRIX knows the tests for GI issues. (he takes the weekend off sometimes, this is his area )
As for using CLOMID, IMO your LH is already pretty good, and your E2 is also under control, so you are not Secondary.
Your HP part of your HPTA is working. That is the interesting thing about your Labs.
But, trying CLOMID or SUBLINGUAL HCG (or injected if you want) to see how much you can increase your TT,
is the kind of thing I probably would do to myself. Not that I am recommending it....

vassille

Awards
I eat Humus 4/week 2-3 spoonfulls, the other things I don't eat often. I won't be takeing thyroid replacement.

Morning: 5-6 eggs, fried, poached or scrambeled along with mushrooms and onions. Sometimes turkey bacon.

Lunch: Soup or sandwhich, chips.

Dinner: Chicken, Salmon, Tuna or some other fish, vegetables cooked in frying pan, potatoes and chips. I also eat almond butter and fruit.

I get about 10hours of sleep.
Your cholesterol should be around 160-190 def not 95. Something is not right. Im not sure if you have a series of systemic failures or just a food absorption problem.
I'd def look into GI issues but not sure why the liver doesnt make cholesterol....but you said that you have 20% body fat which tells me that you do absorb some nutrients.
Did you have any major health issues in your life at all?
Any infections?
Have you eaten more food than you eat now?

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
ww.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/lipid_disorders/hypolipidemia.html

You might want to test vitamin E also.
Do, you supplement vitamins?

This is way out there (no references) but, I seem to remember that they tested people who had mental problems(not talking about you mather)
who ate like 20 eggs a day, and they found that their digestive track had adjusted, and absorbed very little of the cholesterol.

6 EGGS a day/ 7/365 is a lot to me, just saying. Occam's razor!

Have you considered taking Digestive Enzymes (that contain Bile), to see if you absorb more fats?

Mather

Awards
Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread(maybe I should make a new one).

I saw an endo, he told me my results were "within normal ranges", he had no advice or suggestions except thyroid hormone - I told him I wanted to try a couple months of being on Clomid to try a test restart and see if that solves my problem, he seems resistent to doing so.

I want to do it because it requires the least commitment(as in it's something I plan on going off of after the reset if it didn't fix it I am no worse off).

I also asked about the cholestrol levels, he told me they make no difference and are fine.

This whole situation is pretty depressing to me.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
What your ENDO really said was your cholestrol was not high enough to sell you a STATIN.

This is why I order my own blood tests.

Have you considered digestive enzymes and probiotics?

I am wondering how all your fat soluble vitamins levels are? (E, D, etc)

B12 is needed for thyroid function, besides iodine and selenium.

Please keep this thread going, your labs are interesting, your liver numbers are the lowest I have seen.