Where should my estrogen levels be?

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where should estrogen levels be for a 47 year old male? For my own interest I had a test done this week and the results were 38 pg/ml. My Dr tells me that it should be 10-60, so my levels are normal. I could swear, however that I saw a post by Matrix stating 7-17 was optimal. I am currently taking 200mg test cyp every 2 weeks, but I am going to split it into 100mg every week to see if that makes a difference. My last free testosterone result was 8.9 mg/dl, and the Dr tells me the range should be 9.0-30. I have 2 concerns. #1 is that my free testosterone levels aren’t “in range” and if I’m introducing an outside source, where it's going if it’s not raising my levels. Is it (excessively) converting to estrogen? Concern #2 is that I have a slight case of gyno and (maybe it’s all in my head) I swear I can tell a difference at times between the every other week shots in tenderness and size of the lump. But, if my estrogen levels aren’t of concern, maybe I just need to quit worrying. Opinions, given my limited information?

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
I'm no expert, but from everything I've read, doing what you suggested and switching to an every week schedule should reduce your estrogen levels by decreasing your chances of your test aromatizing, which should allow you to see a raise in your free test levels and reduce your gyno symptoms. A more frequent dosing schedule is what many guys do to avoid hormones fluctuating so much between doses.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've read that as well. Do you know why increasing frequency can help "decreasing your chances of your test aromatizing"? I can see it helping to keep levels more steady, but the other is not clear. Thanks for replying!

Able825

Awards
your situation seems very similar to mine.
i've only been on trt for 5 months and still trying to get it right.
i started with weekly 100mg shots.
blood drawn at the end of the week showed horribly low total t and semi-high e2 levels.
blood drawn 3 days after a shot showed avg total t levels and very high e2 levels.
apparently my body is very efficient in converting test to estrogen and then clearing it out of my system by the end of the week.
recently i have switched to injecting 50mg two times per wk and started 1mg of arimadex.
shots are now done with an insulin pin sub-q.
i haven't had blood work yet to see the results, but i will say i feel much better so far.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've thought about trying the arimadex (research chem version) to see how I feel - my Dr isnt very excited about anything other than the test cyp, so I really need to find a good endo eventually. I've thought about these anti-aging clinics and then I got a quote... My insurance is horrible, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can on my own to supplement my GP.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
I've read that as well. Do you know why increasing frequency can help "decreasing your chances of your test aromatizing"? I can see it helping to keep levels more steady, but the other is not clear. Thanks for replying!
I'm not 100% sure why it does to be honest. I've been doing a little research trying to find an answer to that, but no luck yet. Testosterone is basically a precursor hormone to estrogen. It metabolizes into estrogen, and/or DHT. Most of your testosterone is bound to proteins in your blood, i.e; SHBG, and Albumin from what I understand. Your test that remains unattached to proteins is your free test. That is the test that is free to attach to receptor sites and causes physiological reactions in your body. Test and estrogen compete to attach to those receptor sites. Testosterone has a half life in your blood before it's metabolized into estro/dht. My best guess, is that the more frequent dosing of test allows the test to overwhelm the binding proteins, so to speak, and so more remains free to attach to receptor sites, and so it's used by the body, and not metabolized into estrogen. Hormones are extremely complicated though, so I don't understand the exact mechanics behind it yet. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Pericles

Pericles

Awards
I am currently taking 200mg test cyp every 2 weeks, but I am going to split it into 100mg every week to see if that makes a difference.
If you are able, try injecting twice a week. Once every two weeks is way too long between injections. I started at once a week and didn't like it that much. Switched to twice a week with a smaller dose (currently at 60mg / dose) and am feeling great. In a few more weeks I'm going to try to lower the dose again and see how I'm feeling. I take Arimidex (1/2 tablet) either once or twice a week, depending on how I'm feeling. That keeps my E2 down in the high single digits which is comfortable for me. I'm about into my 7th month on TRT...47 YO male like you.