Thyroid/Insulin/Cortisol

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Hey guys
    I originally posted my labs in the weight loss section but after some analysis, I think my situation is hormone related. I am seeing an endo (5th doctor thus far) for his analysis.
    Basically, the story is like this:
    I've had "love handles" my entire life, puberty at age 8, fast weight gain from eating any carbs, migraine headaches with vision loss, lethargy/naps. My mother has been on synthyroid her whole life from xray treatments for strep throat as a child. Her whole side of the family was type I diabetic. My father was adopted, so no family history available.
    I was raised vegetarian and ate 90% carbs until I turned about 22. Bagels, bread, cookies, brownies, pasta, chips, peanut butter & jelly sand, cheese pizza, skim milk. That's about all I ever ate because I never knew any better. The only real fat part of me is specifically in the love handles.

    I have been unable to lose love handles no matter what I do. Eating 1500cals/day didn't help. Eating 3000 cals/day didn't help. 16 hr fasting/day didn't help. That just made me not hungry at all.
    Some have looked at my labs and said low thyroid, some have said metabolic syndrome, adrenal fatigue, low cholesterol, pre-diabetic, some have said just make dietary changes. I tried eating carbs the last 3 weeks and gained 15 lbs. (197-->212) I usually eat close to keto. My daily macros have been around 50g carbs, 100g fat, 300g protein.
    workouts 5 days (used to be 7) HIIT, weights. Jump rope, stairs+70lbs, squat 275 a2g, bench 250, palms out pullups x10-12

    Also, cortisol levels were .26 (7am) .09 (12pm), .08(5pm) .06(10pm)
    Currently on test cyp inj for TRT 120/week (50mg tues, 70mg fri)
    age 35, 212lbs now, 5'9 (my brother is 6'4)
    Anyhow, I'd love to hear your input. Thanks


    Attachment 70963Attachment 70962

    Zinc RBC is low which may be due to copper toxicity or inability to absorb zinc from the intestinal tract. Zinc is lowered in pre-diabetic states
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

  2. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Zinc RBC is low which may be due to copper toxicity or inability to absorb zinc from the intestinal tract. Zinc is lowered in pre-diabetic states
    I've recently been supplementing with zinc. Hopefully this will help. One of the 5 docs I've been to thinks that elevating my test and DHT levels will correct most of my problems.
  3. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    You can try it, if you have no success in fixing the problem at the cell level with other means. I'd use metforming as last resort. Problem is that if the cells are damaged what's metforming going to do... mask the problem even more....!
    it ends up causing b-12 and other imbalances. Look for the cause not the symptoms.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    I've recently been supplementing with zinc. Hopefully this will help. One of the 5 docs I've been to thinks that elevating my test and DHT levels will correct most of my problems.
    This Dr at least knows something from testing which has been ran. Kudos to him ...Still needs to dig deeper, but on right track.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  5. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Definitely avoiding metformin unless I have to go on. Still not sure why an endo would give me metformin on a keto diet. I guess I'm going back the the endo I first went to, doc #2. He rx'd me the test and hasn't seen all my other blood work. He did order a pituitary MRI and I'm doing that tomorrow. So we'll see what comes out of it.
  6. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Definitely avoiding metformin unless I have to go on. Still not sure why an endo would give me metformin on a keto diet. I guess I'm going back the the endo I first went to, doc #2. He rx'd me the test and hasn't seen all my other blood work. He did order a pituitary MRI and I'm doing that tomorrow. So we'll see what comes out of it.
    Most.of this can be controlled through lifestyles and stress management the insulin issues. Drugs replace lifestyle changes basically encourages worse habits. "Dr x my blood sugar was 141 this.morning" drs reply "double up.on glipzide " instead of "stop eating a bowl of icecream and cake before going to bed".
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  7. Advanced Member
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48010
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Most.of this can be controlled through lifestyles and stress management the insulin issues. Drugs replace lifestyle changes basically encourages worse habits. "Dr x my blood sugar was 141 this.morning" drs reply "double up.on glipzide " instead of "stop eating a bowl of icecream and cake before going to bed".
    I like this one and sad thing is that it is true.
  8. Advanced Member
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48010
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Definitely avoiding metformin unless I have to go on. Still not sure why an endo would give me metformin on a keto diet. I guess I'm going back the the endo I first went to, doc #2. He rx'd me the test and hasn't seen all my other blood work. He did order a pituitary MRI and I'm doing that tomorrow. So we'll see what comes out of it.
    That puzzled me too because there is very little need for metforming on this diet. Fat uses a different pathway to produce energy through the cell and protein uses much less insulin than glucose does. So im not sure what is your doc thinking.
    In your case I'd like to see your hormones towards the top end if you are using HRT. For test keep it around 800-1000 and for thyroid go by feel. If you start to shake and have heart palpitations then back off dosage.
    And also pay attention to your digestive track, the better you absorb nutrients the better. Matrix is on point with his advice too.
  9. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    That puzzled me too because there is very little need for metforming on this diet. Fat uses a different pathway to produce energy through the cell and protein uses much less insulin than glucose does. So im not sure what is your doc thinking.
    In your case I'd like to see your hormones towards the top end if you are using HRT. For test keep it around 800-1000 and for thyroid go by feel. If you start to shake and have heart palpitations then back off dosage.
    And also pay attention to your digestive track, the better you absorb nutrients the better. Matrix is on point with his advice too.
    GI recovery I have seen when people Gi tracts are properly taken care of is remarkable. I had a client who was taking allpurinol which is basically battery acid to the GI tract for 6 years. After a year of heavy gut rebalancing, balancing his hormoness he has been able to sit on his can not goto the gym for three months still getting leaner and healthier as time goes on. I eat 2000 calories a day, but have trained my body to have it assimilate it if it was 3000 plus. Eating 4 meals a day 1500-2000 calories a day on average maintaining at 210 lean physique still be able to squat 405 for 10-12 reps approaching 40 years old..Must be doing something right Actually looking to publish a paper on GI protocols with in the next 6 months to a year having over a decade of research involved ..
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  10. New Member
    rambofireball's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    12242
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    GI recovery I have seen when people Gi tracts are properly taken care of is remarkable. I had a client who was taking allpurinol which is basically battery acid to the GI tract for 6 years. After a year of heavy gut rebalancing, balancing his hormoness he has been able to sit on his can not goto the gym for three months still getting leaner and healthier as time goes on. I eat 2000 calories a day, but have trained my body to have it assimilate it if it was 3000 plus. Eating 4 meals a day 1500-2000 calories a day on average maintaining at 210 lean physique still be able to squat 405 for 10-12 reps approaching 40 years old..Must be doing something right Actually looking to publish a paper on GI protocols with in the next 6 months to a year having over a decade of research involved ..
    If you have the time, I'm really interested in this Gi recovery work.

    By GI recovery, are you talking about correcting flora imbalances?

    How might one determine the need for GI recovery, and how would they go about this without the help of a mastermind like yourself?

    Any level of detail is appreciated.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
  11. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    While I am taking Mercola probiotics now @ 35 billion cultures/day, I am guessing the answer to GI recovery involves quite a bit more than just probiotics.
    I, too, am quite interested!
  12. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    You can try it, if you have no success in fixing the problem at the cell level with other means. I'd use metforming as last resort. Problem is that if the cells are damaged what's metforming going to do... mask the problem even more....!
    I have CM core from orthomolecular. Combination with this, identifying intracellular nutritional deficiency, correcting GI along with dietary modifications 70% of the people where able to discontinue metformin, glipzide or other drugs which control blood sugar. Not difficult at all.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  13. Senior Member
    Outside Backer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,629
    Rep Power
    89664
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    80.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    matrix you are one smart dude
    toes-on-the-nose.blogspot.com Deployed blogging
  14. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    I have CM core from orthomolecular. Combination with this, identifying intracellular nutritional deficiency, correcting GI along with dietary modifications 70% of the people where able to discontinue metformin, glipzide or other drugs which control blood sugar. Not difficult at all.
    oh, I have alpha-CU from orthomolecular. I also run their zinc and b vitamins
  15. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post

    oh, I have alpha-CU from orthomolecular. I also run their zinc and b vitamins
    Not the same...used this alone having blood.test to verify drop in ha1c from 6 down to 5.2 3 months was on no.metformin
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  16. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside Backer View Post
    matrix you are one smart dude

    Not smart, resourceful. Learn to use common sense for vast majority of complex cases Dr send me.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  17. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    I have CM core from orthomolecular.
    Ordered.
  18. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Ordered.
    Products recommended I have used numerous times in a clinical setting under a licensed medical professional along with lifestyles. I also saw the changes in lifestyle alone did not help the lab numbers, but adding the recommended supplement did.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  19. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Products recommended I have used numerous times in a clinical setting under a licensed medical professional along with lifestyles. I also saw the changes in lifestyle alone did not help the lab numbers, but adding the recommended supplement did.
    While I somewhat agree with this, I did not need a license to get myself into this mess...



    After my last month's carbohydrate eating experiment, I put on 15 lbs. After about 10 days of <50g carbs/day I am now 208lbs from a recent high of 211. I consider 197 my baseline, so lbs lost after that will be personal bests.

    On another note, my pituitary MRI the other day was something I hope I will never need again. I think the mid-scan contrast injection was one of the highlights. My head was still in the machine with the cage over my face and the nurse injected my arm while I could not see or move.
  20. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Regarding my MRI... email from the Endo

    "Very small 1-2 mm area within pituitary consistent with a small microadenoma.
    No other treatment indicated. You should continue on the testosterone injections."

    So is this tumor on my pituitary perhaps the reason for puberty at age 8? And how does this tumor affect my fat love handles?
  21. Advanced Member
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48010
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    I have CM core from orthomolecular. Combination with this, identifying intracellular nutritional deficiency, correcting GI along with dietary modifications 70% of the people where able to discontinue metformin, glipzide or other drugs which control blood sugar. Not difficult at all.
    Im with you on this one. Type 2 diabetes can be controled without meds very easily.
  22. Advanced Member
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48010
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Regarding my MRI... email from the Endo

    "Very small 1-2 mm area within pituitary consistent with a small microadenoma.
    No other treatment indicated. You should continue on the testosterone injections."

    So is this tumor on my pituitary perhaps the reason for puberty at age 8? And how does this tumor affect my fat love handles?
    I would check all the components of the pituitary at this point to see what exactely it puts out in terms of hormones. The other issue is that if this grows and changes so is the pituitary function. Im not sure how to advise you from here besides to have regulary check ups and take meds to level out your hormones produced by the pituitary.
  23. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    You can try it, if you have no success in fixing the problem at the cell level with other means. I'd use metforming as last resort. Problem is that if the cells are damaged what's metforming going to do... mask the problem even more....!
    THis is excellent advice....Glad I am not the only so called "kook" here LOL
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  24. Senior Member
    threeFs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,364
    Rep Power
    768551
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    40.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post

    I would check all the components of the pituitary at this point to see what exactely it puts out in terms of hormones. The other issue is that if this grows and changes so is the pituitary function. Im not sure how to advise you from here besides to have regulary check ups and take meds to level out your hormones produced by the pituitary.
    I thank you for all your time and input thus far. It is because of people like you (and others) that prompted me to investigate in the first place. I am truly and sincerely grateful.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 03:50 PM
  2. High Cortisol, Low Thyroid, Low Testosterone
    By Warrior21 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 12:41 AM
  3. AACE Guideline on Thyroid - Doesn't Mention Cortisol?
    By kincaiddave in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 01:09 AM
  4. Diabetic:need insulin spike?
    By ironviking in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 10:05 PM
  5. How to use insulin - the most anabolic hormone
    By Trevdog in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in