Anyone with experience refilling Test Cyp for TRT at Costco?

CrimsonKing

Awards
I was wondering if anyone has experience refilling Test Cyp at Costco? I am 32 and have been dealing with low testosterone for some time. I had been on gel (with hardly any results) and then compounded cream (barely better) for 6 months until I mentioned to my doctor that I have been paying cash for these prescriptions and they weren't really working.

My GP (in California) prescribed Test Cyp 200 mg/ml, 10 mls (along with the needles, etc.) and I got it filled at Costco after shopping around. This is my first time with injectables. The prescription included 5 refills and the paper I got back from the Costco Pharmacy says they may be refilled before six months from the date of the first prescription. My prescription is for ½ ml/week, which means this 10 ml vial is supposed to last me 20 weeks. I am to have my blood rechecked in 3 months.

I am wondering if anyone has experience refilling and if there is a time frame on when I can get a refill? I called Costco and asked them if they have a “due date” like prescriptions using insurance from CVS and they said they don’t have such dates. They just told me what I already knew and that the bottle should last me 20 weeks. I am paying cash for it so I don’t have the insurance part to worry about. Does Costco have restrictions about refilling Test that anyone knows of? As far as how long I have to wait before I can get a refill to have on hand?

Thanks for any help.

ajntorinj

Awards
Costco's job is to dispense your medication, not monitor that you are using your medication at a rate that conforms to what their view of a proper time frame is. As far as I can tell, you can get all of your refills at once if you like. You should probably be more concerned about what the state rather than Costco considers an acceptable rate of refilling testosterone.

CrimsonKing

Awards
Excellent point, thank you. Do you happen to know what that acceptable rate might be? I figure that it probably varies state by state, but is there a general guideline?

ajntorinj

Awards
I don't know what that rate might be, though I would also like to know. I imagine though if you have a prescription for it and you do not go to several different pharmacies with prescriptions from multiple doctors, no one is going to say anything. Testosterone is schedule III; LE is much more interested in pursuing "abuse" of schedule II substances. I asked my doctor to prescribe 200mg/week to me, since that seems like a rate that wouldn't raise any red flags. I only use 100mg/week; the rest I am stockpiling for a cycle.

UJMRYDER

Awards
I have the same script and wonder the same thing. I know there will be a little waste so 20 weeks for a vial probably will not happen. Would be nice to be able to fine tune a dose without running out to early if need be.

What I can say is that I used to have a script at Wal-Mart for 200mg every two weeks. I would get the single use and bring to my doctor. Walmart, however, had some sort of time frame that they would only release it. Like if I went in a week and a few days after my last refill they would not dispense it and said that I had to come back in a few days. This alone was a huge pain in the ass.

Costco, I don't know. I just started with them so my vial is rather full. I will try later on to get it a little early and will post with my results. If anyone finds out before me, I would like to know as well. Thanks

CrimsonKing

Awards
UJMRYDER I used to have the same situation at CVS when insurance was paying for my prescriptions (non-controlled). In fact, their website tells you specifically when a refill is available to you. However, I do not know that this would apply at a pharmacy such as CVS if you were paying cash. However, since Test is controlled I am curious if there is any reporting back to anyone by the pharmacies of fill dates, refill dates, etc.?

On a side note, I also did my first injection tonight myself. I read you in your post that you take your Rx to your doctor. Although I was a little apprehensive since being warned of hitting the Sciatic nerve, it was super easy. My doc also offered the option to have them inject me, but after tonight I wouldn't even consider it. Self-administration was super easy and painless even though it was my first time. I just watched a handful of YouTube videos. I think the trick is to be quick and not think about it too much. It takes all of about 15 seconds, which beats a trip to the doctor's office and you can do it in the comfort of your own home.

tenntarheel

tenntarheel

Awards
You can't just go get all your refills at once! Test is a controlled substance and all PHarms have to go by DEA guidelines. It is their job to follow the law.

UJMRYDER

Awards
Just an update.

I did just refill my script at Costco. It was the 10mL 200mg/mL size vial.

My original fill date was 9/14/2012 and the prescription was for 1mL every two weeks which should last 20 weeks. I do 1/2 mL per week but that is the same as far as duration of the vial lasting.

The script does say 5 refills and is only good for 6 months after initial fill date.

Went to get smaller needles and asked the girl at the pharmacy when I could refill my script even though I had plenty. She said she could put it through insurance and see if they approve it. They did and she asked if I wanted to fill it since it would only take a couple of minutes.

So............I gather from this that it can be the insurance that can control refills (don't want to have to pay out too much of a benefit) or possibly the pharmacy that maybe has some sort of internal policy.

I guess no way of telling until you ask.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
I have had this happen with other prescription drugs. And what the pharmacist should do ( if they are awake ) is
cut off your refills after the amount of TEST you have gotten equals a years supply, base on you prescription dose.
Meaning, you should not get more than 2 refills, on that script, no matter how many refills is specified. If the
pharmacy keeps refilling the script, you are lucky, and they are poor at their job. Hope it works out in your favor.

tenntarheel

tenntarheel

Awards
Yes, it is both of their jobs to monitor controlled substance refills. If they fill a script before it is time, then if they are audited, they can be fined. Usually the pharmacist won't fill it if it won't go through on insurance bc it's too early. It's a means of checks and balances.

emantest

emantest

Awards
My multi dose vials are labeled not to use past 30 days because of the potential to contaminate the bottle. So this allows me to get a bottle every month. My doc was like do you need to get one monthly, and since I'm a RN and know it is a hospital standard to discard multi dose vials at 30 days, I said yes I do :). Stock up time

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My multi dose vials are labeled not to use past 30 days because of the potential to contaminate the bottle. So this allows me to get a bottle every month. My doc was like do you need to get one monthly, and since I'm a RN and know it is a hospital standard to discard multi dose vials at 30 days, I said yes I do :). Stock up time
That must be the reason my prescription allowed a refill every month even though the total of the bottle wouldnt be used up for 6 weeks or so. Insurance prevents me from filling it before the month is up, so it will be interesting to see what happens when I start paying for it out of pocket.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I don't know what that rate might be, though I would also like to know. I imagine though if you have a prescription for it and you do not go to several different pharmacies with prescriptions from multiple doctors, no one is going to say anything. Testosterone is schedule III; LE is much more interested in pursuing "abuse" of schedule II substances. I asked my doctor to prescribe 200mg/week to me, since that seems like a rate that wouldn't raise any red flags. I only use 100mg/week; the rest I am stockpiling for a cycle.
hahaha great idea

CrimsonKing

Awards
Hey, thanks for this post. It's nice to get an opinion from someone with professional medical background.

I looked on my bottle of Watson Test Cyp, the packaging, and read all of the insert and couldn't find anything regarding a "discard after..." date for mine. I only found a lot number and expiration, which is 2015. I am curious what brand has a 30-day use-by date? Thanks again!

emantest

emantest

Awards
Hey, thanks for this post. It's nice to get an opinion from someone with professional medical background.

Is there any danger in using bottles >1-month? I looked on my bottle of Watson Test Cyp, the packaging, and read all of the insert and couldn't find anything regarding a "discard after..." date for mine. I only found a lot number and expiration, which is 2015. Could that explain why my doctor gave me 5 refills even though they all expire 6-months after the initial fill? Or do you think he was testing to see if I would get them all? Just curious what your thoughts are. Thanks again!
Your doc only gets notified when your pharmacy requests a refill. So the likelihood he knows is low.
There is a potential to contaminate the solution, but if you swab the top with alcohol before drawing the solution, the chances are low to contaminate.

CrimsonKing

Awards
Your doc only gets notified when your pharmacy requests a refill. So the likelihood he knows is low.
There is a potential to contaminate the solution, but if you swab the top with alcohol before drawing the solution, the chances are low to contaminate.
Thanks for the insight. Do you happen to know why the Watson Test Cyp would not have a 30-day use-by date, but another brand, like the one you are using, has such a date?

emantest

emantest

Awards
Thanks for the insight. Do you happen to know why the Watson Test Cyp would not have a 30-day use-by date, but another brand, like the one you are using, has such a date?
The bottle has an expiration date when it has not been opened. Once the top has been popped, and a needle is introduced, thus forcing potential bacteria into the bottle, the clock starts ticking for growth of something. The pharmacy I use places this label on the box warning of potential contamination after 30 days. This protects them from being liable, helps them sell more, and the main issue should be safety of the product.
I feel comfortable using mine after 30 days. I keep stored properly, use alcohol to disinfect the top before drawing the product with a sterile needle and syringe. I also wash my hands before doing this procedure described above.

CrimsonKing

Awards
The bottle has an expiration date when it has not been opened. Once the top has been popped, and a needle is introduced, thus forcing potential bacteria into the bottle, the clock starts ticking for growth of something. The pharmacy I use places this label on the box warning of potential contamination after 30 days. This protects them from being liable, helps them sell more, and the main issue should be safety of the product.
I feel comfortable using mine after 30 days. I keep stored properly, use alcohol to disinfect the top before drawing the product with a sterile needle and syringe. I also wash my hands before doing this procedure described above.
Thank you!

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Basically everything was gone over is correct. You can refill it every month no problem since the 30 day "expiration" applies to multi use bottles. I would assume pharmacy just puts 30 day supply in as the days supply in the computer and do after 30ish days you can refill.

Wasn't sure if this was covered or just implied. If you don't refill the 5 prescriptions by 6 months (5 refills is the max and you got it) they go away and you can't get them. That has to do with the scheduling of the drug. So make sure and get them all.

I'm on the other side of the counter so figured if weigh in.

tenntarheel

tenntarheel

Awards
So pharmacies are required to allow a refill after 30 days on any multi use bottle regardless of dosing schedule??

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So pharmacies are required to allow a refill after 30 days on any multi use bottle regardless of dosing schedule??
As stated 28 days is usually the expiration for multi use vials so you should be throwing it out......
Also goes along if your doctor gives you a bunch of refills