TRT and Cholesterol

pc2829

Awards
I have been on testosterone TRT for 5 months. I was diagnosed with hypogonadism. I also have hypothyroidism and I take .100 of Synthroid every day. I inject .4 ml of testosterone cypionate every 4 days. Before I started TRT my testosterone it was around 200. I felt tired, no libido, bad erections. The symptoms have improved slightly but I am worried about estrogen, triglycerides and HDL numbers. I am 40 years old, and I am 6’0 ,and weigh 190. I lift weights three times a week and I run 30+ miles per week. I eat well and I am very active. My doctor agreed my estrogen is too high, but he is worried that taking an estrogen blocker will further lower my HDL, so he recommended that I take 2000mg of niacin a day to see if my HDL goes up and triglycerides come down to within range. Then he will give me something to lower estrogen. Since on TRT I feel like I have gained weight in mid-section, libido and erections are only a little better. I have also gained about 20 pounds. And I have noticed I have less endurance running, I used to run 7 minutes per mile in a half marathon, now I am lucky to run under 9 minutes per mile. All of my training has been the same. Will taking an estrogen blocker fix my symptoms? Will niacin help with cholesterol numbers? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are my latest numbers, from Quest Diagnostics.

Total testosterone 950...... 250-1100 ng/dl

Free testosterone 294........ 35 – 155 pg/ml
Estrogen , Serum 182 ........130 or less pg/ml
Cholesterol total 151........ <200 mg/dl
HDL Cholesterol 27 .........>40 mg/dl
LDL Cholesterol 86 .........<130 mg/dl
Triglycerides 191 .........>150 mg/dl

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How's your diet? I wouldn't like having the numbers you have and the first thing I'd look into was my diet.

pc2829

Awards
Diet is good. Before TRT all my numbers were within range.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I have been on testosterone TRT for 5 months. I was diagnosed with hypogonadism. I also have hypothyroidism and I take .100 of Synthroid every day. I inject .4 ml of testosterone cypionate every 4 days. Before I started TRT my testosterone it was around 200. I felt tired, no libido, bad erections. The symptoms have improved slightly but I am worried about estrogen, triglycerides and HDL numbers. I am 40 years old, and I am 6’0 ,and weigh 190. I lift weights three times a week and I run 30+ miles per week. I eat well and I am very active. My doctor agreed my estrogen is too high, but he is worried that taking an estrogen blocker will further lower my HDL, so he recommended that I take 2000mg of niacin a day to see if my HDL goes up and triglycerides come down to within range. Then he will give me something to lower estrogen. Since on TRT I feel like I have gained weight in mid-section, libido and erections are only a little better. I have also gained about 20 pounds. And I have noticed I have less endurance running, I used to run 7 minutes per mile in a half marathon, now I am lucky to run under 9 minutes per mile. All of my training has been the same. Will taking an estrogen blocker fix my symptoms? Will niacin help with cholesterol numbers? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are my latest numbers, from Quest Diagnostics.

Total testosterone 950...... 250-1100 ng/dl

Free testosterone 294........ 35 – 155 pg/ml
Estrogen , Serum 182 ........130 or less pg/ml
Cholesterol total 151........ <200 mg/dl
HDL Cholesterol 27 .........>40 mg/dl
LDL Cholesterol 86 .........<130 mg/dl
Triglycerides 191 .........>150 mg/dl
I would get proper e2 reading 4021 from quest. (to confirm if AI is needed)
If the Dr is monitor total estrogen then I would question their knowledge and understanding of proper TRT administration.
You may also want to have your thyroid parameters checked since TRT can lower thyroid as well as adrenal function (which was probably not properly evaluated from the start.)

Niacin may end up help lipids in the process of causing liver issues. Blood serums of liver function are not true indicator of how the liver is functioning.