Glute shots

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
I'm going to start doing glute injections tomorrow, and have watched videos on where to inject. So if I'm injecting in the upper side of my glute, is there any chance I'll hit the sciatic nerve? It's kinda freakin me out haha I know where the nerve is located, but will a 1" needle reach it by accident when I push it all the way in?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to start doing glute injections tomorrow, and have watched videos on where to inject. So if I'm injecting in the upper side of my glute, is there any chance I'll hit the sciatic nerve? It's kinda freakin me out haha I know where the nerve is located, but will a 1" needle reach it by accident when I push it all the way in?
I use my delt with insulin pin no issues what so every..

DetMuscle

Awards
Not a chance

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Ok I tried it this morning.............................. And surprise surprise, I hit a nerve lol It wasn't my sciatic because there was no pain, but my right glute twitched so hard it pushed the syringe out and blood trickled down. I don't think I'll be attempting a glute injection again any time soon... I always do quad injections, but was wondering if only doing quads would affect the concentration of the oil? I shoot left on Mondays and right on Thursdays.

bruiser74

bruiser74

Awards
That wasn't a nerve. What you felt was the muscle spasm from the introduction of the needle. Happens a lot in the glutes. Wish I could tell you why. On a side note, do not use 5/8 needles for IM injections. They are not made for IM injections unless you have the musculature of a starving Ethiopian. 1' minimum for IM. source: paramedic for over 15 years as well as
A Stanford PA student currently. 5/8 are for sub-q only. I see many people say they use it for IM but you will get an abscess if you continue. Trust me it will happen.

DetMuscle

Awards
I can tell you what you did. You pushed it in very slowly, right? Next time jab the SOB in there. You wont get that twitch that you had

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
I can tell you what you did. You pushed it in very slowly, right? Next time jab the SOB in there. You wont get that twitch that you had
Yup that's exactly what I did haha I'll be sure to jab quickly next time

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
It worked! That's even faster than quad shots!