Question about sleeping and circadian rhythm/testosterone

TML499

Awards
I know that it is important to get a good night sleep for good testosterone levels, 8+ hours. I know that testosterone is supposed to peak when you wake up and decline at night.

My question is whether this is according to your own sleep schedule or your internal circadian rhythm.

For example, I always get 8 hours of sleep at night, but when that 8 hours happens can differ. On average lets say I'm sleeping from 3am-11am. Do my test levels then peak when I wake up at 11? Or did they peak in the "morning" around 7-8am while I was still asleep?

Can having your sleep schedule misaligned with the typical 10-6am or 12-8am cause a decline in testosterone? Or does it not matter as long as you get your 8 hours?

napalm

napalm

Awards
You're over thinking this. Eat, train, eat some more, rest, repeat.

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
Testosterone levels are worth more than just gains in the gym if you ask me. I have often wondered how erratic sleep schedules effect all hormone levels. For example I work in a field that most guys get enough sleep but its not 8 hours from 10-6, it may be 2 hours here, 4 hours there, and then a few days of more "normal" sleep schedules to recover and the cycle starts again. Is total sleep more important than a schedule that allows for recovery? Or does that schedule need to follow the circadian rhythm to optimize things?
I know there is research about chronic disruption of the circadian rhythm among airline pilots, and how this leads to chronic fatigue. Usually chronic fatigue is associated with lower testosterone, and higher estrogen and cortisol problems as well from what I have read.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I know that it is important to get a good night sleep for good testosterone levels, 8+ hours. I know that testosterone is supposed to peak when you wake up and decline at night.

My question is whether this is according to your own sleep schedule or your internal circadian rhythm.

For example, I always get 8 hours of sleep at night, but when that 8 hours happens can differ. On average lets say I'm sleeping from 3am-11am. Do my test levels then peak when I wake up at 11? Or did they peak in the "morning" around 7-8am while I was still asleep?

Can having your sleep schedule misaligned with the typical 10-6am or 12-8am cause a decline in testosterone? Or does it not matter as long as you get your 8 hours?
Your missing the boat, just because you sleep 8 hours does not mean your getting quality of sleep. I strongly focus on sleep hygiene as part of recovery. You need 8 hours of restorative sleep. Majority of cases I work on sleep 8 hours, but have crappy quality of sleep. Once you getting better quality of sleep T levels come up GH comes up and cortisol also corrects it self. Again this is age depended and case specific, but majority of times <35-40 age this does work if done properly.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sleep quality is critical. I'm actually writing a short article now about sleep schedules and it's effect on testosterone. I'll link to it once complete, which will likely be end of day.

TML499

Awards
^ Thank you, I will be sure to read it.

Matrix, I have worked on sleep hygiene before and i believe that I get a good nights sleep. My question is even if you are practicing good hygiene, can sleeping your 8 hours at odd times or later into the day effect your bodies ability to produce testosterone?

And I'm also curious as to whether my blood testosterone would peak at 7-8am while I'm still asleep or closer to noon when I normally wake up.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Do not over analyze simple physiology other words it will drive you nuts micromanaging stuff. Look at it as just a small part of a huge picture..

^ Thank you, I will be sure to read it.

Matrix, I have worked on sleep hygiene before and i believe that I get a good nights sleep. My question is even if you are practicing good hygiene, can sleeping your 8 hours at odd times or later into the day effect your bodies ability to produce testosterone?

And I'm also curious as to whether my blood testosterone would peak at 7-8am while I'm still asleep or closer to noon when I normally wake up.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established