Sleep apnea

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
So I have found a new doctor and she has run a bunch of lab test for me, I haven't been on any medication for quite a while now.

My thyroid came back a little sluggish, so she agreed to put me back on Armour Thyroid. Probably won't do the full thyroid panel for the follow up test for that, just try to keep the TSH around 1 now that we have a good baseline.

My free testosterone came back at 201, but she is holding off on that for now because my blood is so thick, she thinks that I might have sleep apnea. My wife does complain about my snoring on and off, but I ask if it sounds like I stop breathing for periods of time and she says she doesn't think so. She drew some more blood to check out some more stuff with regard to that, agreed that I should probably try one of those anti snore mouthpieces and possibly have a sleep study done. My A1c score is starting to creep up (5.7) and my cholesterol is REALLY high, my HDL came in at 59 which I was really really happy with because it is usually low so the extra cardio is doing something. The doctor would really like to get me on a paleo or low carb diet for a bit to see if that helps straighten out my A1c and cholesterol readings. There was a cortisol test done, but it wasn't the 4 times a day, it was just a blood draw at about 12 or 1 in the afternoon, it came back "in range" - but I don't know the significance of what it should be and when but I do know there is a certain rhythm to it.

Maybe a combination of weight loss, sleeping fixes will straighten out the sleep apnea which will help clear up some of the other issues??

Edit: I forgot, she is recommending 2 test that aren't covered under insurance:
1. Gluten/Antigenic Food Sensitity Stool/Gene Panel
2. Fat Malabsorption Stool Test

My Vitamin D was low at 20 and my b12 was also low. She gave me a b12 shot and said she would "teach" me to give myself the shots going forward if needed, also recommended a 5000IU of Vid D a day.

Last edited:
DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Are you on TRT? Testosterone will cause sleep apnea, or at least make it worse. Weight loss will help, but sleep apnea is worsened with test. I have it and I notice when I blast, the apnea is much worse.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Do not waste money on gluten test they are in accurate, just assume you have it most people do. Going on a strict trial gluten free diet would be the best option.. After doing this for so long, you learn how people to save lots of money. B-12 being low is screaming GI issues and possible low intrinisic factor and hypochlyrodria (low stomach acid) when be b-12 is low and low thyroid bet you have low ferritin as well so thyroid will not work properly. If you have Gi inflammation then cortisol levels are probably under active ..Again these are areas which all need to be explored.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Are you on TRT? Testosterone will cause sleep apnea, or at least make it worse. Weight loss will help, but sleep apnea is worsened with test. I have it and I notice when I blast, the apnea is much worse.
Not currently on TRT.
I looked over the test numbers that she is concerned about, they are just outside of normal range

RBC 6 4.1-5.6
Hemoglobin 17.1 12.5 - 17.0
Hematocrit 50.9 36 - 50.0

The bottom two are not that far out of whack. I ran 3 miles about 2 hours before the test, I wonder if that might have affected the outcome?

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Do not waste money on gluten test they are in accurate, just assume you have it most people do. Going on a strict trial gluten free diet would be the best option.. After doing this for so long, you learn how people to save lots of money. B-12 being low is screaming GI issues and possible low intrinisic factor and hypochlyrodria (low stomach acid) when be b-12 is low and low thyroid bet you have low ferritin as well so thyroid will not work properly. If you have Gi inflammation then cortisol levels are probably under active ..Again these are areas which all need to be explored.
Whew, I can save $500.

Are the intrinsic factor and hypochlyrodria tests blood tests, I don't see them on my 5 pages of results but they might have an abbreviation I am not familiar with.

I found my ferritin, it was hidden in the section with the Hep tests
Ferritin, Serem 335 range 30-400

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Not currently on TRT.
I looked over the test numbers that she is concerned about, they are just outside of normal range

RBC 6 4.1-5.6

The bottom two are not that far out of whack. I ran 3 miles about 2 hours before the test, I wonder if that might have affected the outcome?
You mostly did not drink enough water, and I can not emphasize how many drink coffee the test. Well you just answered your own question ....

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
You mostly did not drink enough water, and I can not emphasize how many drink coffee the test. Well you just answered your own question ....
Thanks Matrix,

I have cut the coffee out of the diet, I have absolutely no f***ing discipline when it comes to drinking it in moderation, I dropped it and made my way through the headache and withdrawal. I get retested in about 3 weeks, I will make sure that I am hydrated for this one.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Not currently on TRT.

RBC 6 4.1-5.6

Then she gave you B12 for something other than a B12 deficiency, probably to help with energy levels. If you had a B12 deficiency you'd expect low RBC/Hemo/Hema, not high.

You may have been a little dehydrated. How was your eGFR, calcium and creatine?

CharlosCarlie

Awards
Are you on TRT? Testosterone will cause sleep apnea, or at least make it worse.
Man this was soooo true for me. If I slept on my back at all while on TRT, I would wake up gasping for air at least once a night. It was extremely frightening the first few times it happened. Ever since I've been off TRT my sleep has improved DRAMATICALLY. Now I can sleep however I want w/ no problems.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Then she gave you B12 for something other than a B12 deficiency, probably to help with energy levels. If you had a B12 deficiency you'd expect low RBC/Hemo/Hema, not high.

You may have been a little dehydrated. How was your eGFR, calcium and creatine?
I am going to make sure I am totally hydrated next time I go in.

eGFR: 77
Calcium: 9.9
creatinine, serum: 1.17

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Need for blood work ..
Ferritin levels, cmp,extra.

Pinner

Awards
I've noticed that my trt has caused apnea. It took a while for it to develop. Now it's become a slight problem. In the beginning of trt, I was filled with energy and a great sense of well being. Then apnea struck. I always get tired mid day and never wake up refreshed. I have since lowered my dose, but it's too early to tell. My question is: is apnea dose sensitive? Will lowering my dose positively effect my apnea or will I need to cease treatment?

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed that my trt has caused apnea. It took a while for it to develop. Now it's become a slight problem. In the beginning of trt, I was filled with energy and a great sense of well being. Then apnea struck. I always get tired mid day and never wake up refreshed. I have since lowered my dose, but it's too early to tell. My question is: is apnea dose sensitive? Will lowering my dose positively effect my apnea or will I need to cease treatment?
Yes, lowering the dose will reduce the symptoms.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Yes, lowering the dose will reduce the symptoms.
TRT can also induce sleep apnea from a few effects
1. Blood thickening effect
2. Lowering thyroid by raising TSH which can also mimic sleep apnea or even induce it. When thyroid properly treated can help resolve some cases of sleep apnea.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so had another blood test done in a fasting state with plenty of hydration and no running the day of the blood test :)

RBC, hemoglobin and hemocrit all above normal. EPO came back normal.

Been on a paleo diet for about 7-8 weeks, dropped 28 lbs so far. Vitamin D came back at 47 which is in range, since I take 10,000 IU a day. Cholesterol dropped 50 points. All my numbers have improved, except my test levels, blood counts and my blood pressure; so the Dr. still suspects sleep apnea. For the next three nights I am the proud owner of a Snap Diagnostics sleep monitor :)
I just received one of those stop snoring mouth guards last week, which I think is helping with the snoring. The only problem with it is it makes my front teeth on the top and the bottom hurt, real bad, like somebody punched me in the mouth.

Has anybody been treated for sleep apnea? Is a CPAP machine the only way to fix it?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so had another blood test done in a fasting state with plenty of hydration and no running the day of the blood test :)

RBC, hemoglobin and hemocrit all above normal. EPO came back normal.

Been on a paleo diet for about 7-8 weeks, dropped 28 lbs so far. Vitamin D came back at 47 which is in range, since I take 10,000 IU a day. Cholesterol dropped 50 points. All my numbers have improved, except my test levels, blood counts and my blood pressure; so the Dr. still suspects sleep apnea. For the next three nights I am the proud owner of a Snap Diagnostics sleep monitor :)
I just received one of those stop snoring mouth guards last week, which I think is helping with the snoring. The only problem with it is it makes my front teeth on the top and the bottom hurt, real bad, like somebody punched me in the mouth.

Has anybody been treated for sleep apnea? Is a CPAP machine the only way to fix it?
I be looking at.other factors besides sleep apnea. Hemochromatosis low thyroid low.adrenal functions along with using cpap machine. Further evaluation is needed..

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I have had the CPAP machine for about 3 weeks but have only used it for about 2 because the stupid mask made a painful rash on the bridge of my nose. I think I have that all worked out, a combination of mole skin and a gel pad seems to do the trick.

My last blood test shows that RBC, hemocrit and hemoglobin are in the upper part of the range, but they finally in the normal range.
My thyroid panel came back better TSH just above 1 and t3 and t4 in the upper part of the range.
I have lost almost 40 lbs since march and my testosterone went from 219 to 398, don't know if that is just natural fluctuation, better thyroid function, from the weight loss or what. Dr is going to keep an eye on my testosterone level, but for now isn't going to do anything with it, which I am ok with for the time being, I want to see what my blood work shows after a few months of my weight being stable.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I have had the CPAP machine for about 3 weeks but have only used it for about 2 because the stupid mask made a painful rash on the bridge of my nose. I think I have that all worked out, a combination of mole skin and a gel pad seems to do the trick.

My last blood test shows that RBC, hemocrit and hemoglobin are in the upper part of the range, but they finally in the normal range.
My thyroid panel came back better TSH just above 1 and t3 and t4 in the upper part of the range.
I have lost almost 40 lbs since march and my testosterone went from 219 to 398, don't know if that is just natural fluctuation, better thyroid function, from the weight loss or what. Dr is going to keep an eye on my testosterone level, but for now isn't going to do anything with it, which I am ok with for the time being, I want to see what my blood work shows after a few months of my weight being stable.
Proves again proper sleep.quality is top on the list before any trt should be administered and other area explored. I have seen this happen numerous times on cases i.worked on through neurotransmitter modulation resolved hormone and adrenal issues.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Matrix.

Funny thing that I noticed. I used the cpap for a week and then came off it for my nose to heal. I realized when I am using the CPAP I don't dream, it's hard to fall asleep with that think on but once I am asleep I am out. That week without it I was having the most wacky messed up dreams, probably going hypoxic or something. Started the CPAP a few days ago, no dreams again.

I go back to the dr in 3 months, she agreed to go a little longer before my next blood test if I promised not to fall off the wagon with the dieting and sleep machine. So far so good I think, the paleo diet is working pretty well, so it shouldn't be a problem sticking to it.