Estradiol seems to be way high

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
Previously had a blood test and testosterone was low at about 200 (700 nominal), so the doctor decided to run a saliva test next.
Saliva test results:
Progesterone=41 (5-95pg/ml)
Androstenedione=88 (151-350 pg/ml)
Testosterone=48 (40-70 pg/ml)
DHT=64 (52-123 pg/ml)
Estrone=37 (30-58 pg/ml)
Estradiol=15 (1-3 pg/ml) stratosphere high
17-OH Progesterone and was found to be 13 (22-100pg/ml)
Dehydroepiandrosterone Free( DHEA+DHEA-S) pooled value= 10 (3-10 ng/ml)
Cortisol=10 (13-24nM) at 8Am, but became almost within specifications by noon. Cortisol seems to be running low.

Some of this may explain why I wake up every morning and have a hard time sleeping, my levels are wacked.
I am 46 years old, so asked for TRT and the Dr. told me that the Compound Pharmacy will be making me a gel. I have another appointment in about a month to get the gel. Never had TRT, so this will be new to me.

The Estradiol seems to be high, so either there was a mistake in the saliva test or I am really that high, which has me concerned. I was wondering if some Aromasin would be a good idea, while I wait over the next month?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Previously had a blood test and testosterone was low at about 200 (700 nominal), so the doctor decided to run a saliva test next.
Saliva test results:
Progesterone=41 (5-95pg/ml)
Androstenedione=88 (151-350 pg/ml)
Testosterone=48 (40-70 pg/ml)
DHT=64 (52-123 pg/ml)
Estrone=37 (30-58 pg/ml)
Estradiol=15 (1-3 pg/ml) stratosphere high
17-OH Progesterone and was found to be 13 (22-100pg/ml)
Dehydroepiandrosterone Free( DHEA+DHEA-S) pooled value= 10 (3-10 ng/ml)
Cortisol=10 (13-24nM) at 8Am, but became almost within specifications by noon. Cortisol seems to be running low.

Some of this may explain why I wake up every morning and have a hard time sleeping, my levels are wacked.
I am 46 years old, so asked for TRT and the Dr. told me that the Compound Pharmacy will be making me a gel. I have another appointment in about a month to get the gel. Never had TRT, so this will be new to me.

The Estradiol seems to be high, so either there was a mistake in the saliva test or I am really that high, which has me concerned. I was wondering if some Aromasin would be a good idea, while I wait over the next month?
For a Dr to make assumption based up saliva testing with not looking at blood estrodial I would be highly suspicious of his knowledge HRT. I would advise you to tread cautiously since there are several red flags going up. Might want to seek out some one else seriously..Others will chime in I am sure. Saliva in males has been only shown to be accurate for cortisol. If this was true with other hormones then lab corp, and quest would also have them which they do not...

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't agree more with Matrix. The next logical step is a full blood panel, not treatment over spit.

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
I appreciate the comments. I thought I remember something about Estradiol not being accurate in saliva for males, which you have confirmed.

I originally had a full blood test attached.View attachment Blood test Jan 2012-No name.PDF

This doctor went from a full blood test to a full saliva test, which I thought was different, but I do remember the doctor mentioned cortisol level at different times of the day as the main purpose, to figure out what was causing issues with sleeping. I heard and listened about the concerns for this doctor and will ask many questions and tread carefully.

Again, I appreciate the comments.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the comments. I thought I remember something about Estradiol not being accurate in saliva for males, which you have confirmed.

I originally had a full blood test attached.View attachment 55674

This doctor went from a full blood test to a full saliva test, which I thought was different, but I do remember the doctor mentioned cortisol level at different times of the day as the main purpose, to figure out what was causing issues with sleeping. I heard and listened about the concerns for this doctor and will ask many questions and tread carefully.

Again, I appreciate the comments.
When evaluating sleep issue I use a panel which looks at neurotranmistters cortisol and melatonin production to possible see where the imbalances are being caused which may explain the symptoms. I also look at possible factors which may be causing the sleep issue such as daily stressors, behaviors, food diary, as well time of exercise, adrenals, thyroid ,ect . Many times correcting sleeps corrects the whole hormonal cascade resulting in no need for TRT or other hormone to be given.

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
Question 1:
I was concerned and asked about why there was blood test and then saliva tests and also discussed as to if estradiol was a valid test for saliva test. The Doc stated that the saliva test measures what is in the skin, which can be completely different levels than what is measured in the blood. Therefore two tests required as both are important. Does that sound right?

Question 2:
I got prescribed a gel compound College Pharmacy and it should be arriving this week.
Testosterone 50mg ED
Progesterone 20mg ED
Does this level seem about right for a gel? About what weekly testosterone level should I expect from this dosage? 200-500?

Question 3:
I was concerned about the estradiol levels rising with the TRT, and the Doc told me to take some Zinc Citrate, and I would be monitored in 3 months to see if the estradiol levels have dropped at that time. Sounds like the doc does not want to go with a stronger AI at this time. Sound right?

Question 4:
Although the College Pharmacy suggested DHEA, the doc wants to hold off on the DHEA for now until my testing again in 3 months. I assume so as not to affect the testing.

I really appreciate your time.
grega

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Question 1:I was concerned and asked about why there was blood test and then saliva tests and also discussed as to if estradiol was a valid test for saliva test. The Doc stated that the saliva test measures what is in the skin, which can be completely different levels than what is measured in the blood. Therefore two tests required as both are important. Does that sound right?Question 2:I got prescribed a gel compound College Pharmacy and it should be arriving this week.Testosterone 50mg EDProgesterone 20mg EDDoes this level seem about right for a gel? About what weekly testosterone level should I expect from this dosage? 200-500?Question 3:I was concerned about the estradiol levels rising with the TRT, and the Doc told me to take some Zinc Citrate, and I would be monitored in 3 months to see if the estradiol levels have dropped at that time. Sounds like the doc does not want to go with a stronger AI at this time. Sound right?Question 4:Although the College Pharmacy suggested DHEA, the doc wants to hold off on the DHEA for now until my testing again in 3 months. I assume so as not to affect the testing.I really appreciate your time.grega
Estrodial go by symptoms blood tests are just a gaugeblood levels should be monitored for e2 total t shbg dht on next blood testDr who use saliva test for e2 I would be skeptical off. They from body logic? You have too many variables in the equation off the bat and will not know what is doing what.Start one variable measure then add another. Other wise you are creating recipe for disaster.

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
Hi Matrix,
Doc not from Body Logic. This doctor advertizes for HRT and weight loss. Regular Doc, that seems slightly new age, herbal like from my impressions. As you suggested I am watching this Doc.

I was a supervisor that recently got moved up to manager, with a personnel reduction to our work force, so my stress and hours are high but not chageable without changing jobs, which is risky in this economy. I know that stress is an issue, but not able to easily change the work environment, so must concentrate on changing other alternatives that I have control over.

Appreciate the thoughts. I tried giving you more reputation and it says I must spread around more. You deserve it as you are always so helpful.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Then you learn to cope with the stress ...