Low test, high TSH

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.83%

Low test, high TSH

Hi all, new member here looking for some advice. I'm 23 years old and have been experiencing fatigue, loss of strength lately and lower work performance. I'm do a lot of Crossfit/weight lifting and running.

These were my levels from a recent blood test:

TSH 4.2 - This seems high and suggests hypothyroidism from what I have read, even though it is within the tests outdated "normal" range of 0.10 -5.00
    Testosterone 8.9 nmol/L = 256 mg/dl - This seems very low for my age

I have a follow up with the Dr. for next week, so I'd like to be prepared with questions/information.

Any suggestions on what I should ask? Should I get my Free T3 and T4 tested?

Thanks for any help

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mark88 View Post
    Hi all, new member here looking for some advice. I'm 23 years old and have been experiencing fatigue, loss of strength lately and lower work performance. I'm do a lot of Crossfit/weight lifting and running.

TSH 4.2 - This seems high and suggests hypothyroidism from what I have read, even though it is within the tests outdated "normal" range of 0.10 -5.00

I have a follow up with the Dr. for next week, so I'd like to be prepared with questions/information.

Thanks for any help
    Find out reason why,
    Duh you are over training, diet probably is not nutrient dense (can list a plethora of other things) and since you are not listening to slow down, the body has a built in idiot mechanism to shut it down for you to prevent it self from burning out. So what Do dr's do they give you thyroid to over ride something to protect the body, end result blown adrenals because they heard the patient, but as usually they never listen...
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.83%

Thank you for the quick response I have reduced my training over the past few months. I am only working out about 4 days a week right now, 3 days at Crossfit, 1 run. I'll take a complete break from working out for a couple weeks and see if anything improves.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.54%

Thank you for the quick response I have reduced my training over the past few months. I am only working out about 4 days a week right now, 3 days at Crossfit, 1 run. I'll take a complete break from working out for a couple weeks and see if anything improves.
    Does not matter the freight train is rolling, needs proper intervention now, rest will not help..Been there before thinking the same thing when there was a volcano getting ready to erupt me not even knowing it.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.83%

I agree that simply going on thyroid meds and test is not the solution, need to find out what is causing it in the first place before fixing it. Do you have any suggestions on what I should be asking the Dr to test and look for? Adrenals a good place to start? Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.54%

Thanks for any help
    What a good dr looks for is .6-1.5 TSH along with good ft3, ft4 levels in the mid range with mid range rt3
    With High TSH I be looking at the adrenals first as well as ferritin, vitamin D levels as well. These are all factors which make thyroid bind to the receptor. Having good blood levels is on thing, having tissue response is more important and highly over looked.

Similar Forum Threads

1. What do you guys make of my hormone test results? (high SHBG, high s-test)
    By loztdignity in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM
  2. Bloodwork: low test overall, high free test %. Confused.
    By jarhead in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 09:10 AM
  3. High Free Test, high Estrogen and SHBG...odd?
    By rickrad in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
  4. Help with blood test (high estradiol, normal test)
    By diablosho in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 11:02 PM