In desperate need of advice/help

ljs252

Awards
Hi guys,

Long time AM lurker here looking for any useful advice as I am at wits end. I am a 29 year old graduate student and over the past several months have felt generally terrible much of the time unlike any other period in my life. Symptoms include, among other things, chronic insomnia to the point where most nights I get less than 3 hours of sleep, very low energy/motivation, difficulty concentrating, low libido/ED problems, frequent urination and IBS/digestion issues, excessive sweating, increased anxiety, terrible brain fog, trouble getting out of bed, and difficulty in getting through workouts/recovering. Needless to say, my quality of life has been impacted tremendously and I really haven't felt like myself since October or so.

I have been to the hospital where I go to school and they have tried both ambien and trazodone for the sleep but neither has really helped. Ambien will knock me out for 3 hours or so but then I am awake again. My doc then thought I was simply depressed and prescribed me Lexapro. I guess it has helped my mood a little but otherwise the symptoms above remain. I just feel there is something going on with me besides depression. I ran myself ragged last semester working 4 days/week and going to grad school full-time. I was also constantly stressed out about school, a past relationship, etc. I then took adderrall as a "study drug" for final exams and bascially barely slept for the 2 weeks of finals. Since my final exams the above listed symptoms have just gotten worse and worse.

I have lifted consistently for the last 11 years. Also, in that time I did 8 cycles of prohormones (epistane, dienolone, original 1-AD/4-AD, H-DROL); the last cycle in the summer of 2010. I am worried that the past ph usage is catching up with me and I am now paying the price for it. I suspect some type of adrenal fatigue, low test, or thyroid issue; possibly a combination of the 3. Getting my doc to authorize all the testing required has been an absolute pain thus far. Here are some of the results I have so far (done via Labcorp):

-TSH: 2.030 uIU/mL
-T4: 5.6
-Free Thyroxine Index: 2.4
-Cortisol Serum (am): 13.4
-Test (Serum): 498 ng/dl
-LH: 7.0 mIU/mL
-FSH: 2.0
-Estradiol: 32.8 pg/mL
-Glucose (fasting) (Serum): 88

I am looking for any constructive advice/input. Getting my doc to authorize more tests will not be easy but I really feel more hormonal/adrenal testing needs to be done. If she does not authorize more testing I will just have to pay out of pocket as I do not believe SSRI's and sedatives are the answers to my problems. Thank you to anyone who responds.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys,

Long time AM lurker here looking for any useful advice as I am at wits end. I am a 29 year old graduate student and over the past several months have felt generally terrible much of the time unlike any other period in my life. Symptoms include, among other things, chronic insomnia to the point where most nights I get less than 3 hours of sleep, very low energy/motivation, difficulty concentrating, low libido/ED problems, frequent urination and IBS/digestion issues, excessive sweating, increased anxiety, terrible brain fog, trouble getting out of bed, and difficulty in getting through workouts/recovering. Needless to say, my quality of life has been impacted tremendously and I really haven't felt like myself since October or so.

I have been to the hospital where I go to school and they have tried both ambien and trazodone for the sleep but neither has really helped. Ambien will knock me out for 3 hours or so but then I am awake again. My doc then thought I was simply depressed and prescribed me Lexapro. I guess it has helped my mood a little but otherwise the symptoms above remain. I just feel there is something going on with me besides depression. I ran myself ragged last semester working 4 days/week and going to grad school full-time. I was also constantly stressed out about school, a past relationship, etc. I then took adderrall as a "study drug" for final exams and bascially barely slept for the 2 weeks of finals. Since my final exams the above listed symptoms have just gotten worse and worse.

I have lifted consistently for the last 11 years. Also, in that time I did 8 cycles of prohormones (epistane, dienolone, original 1-AD/4-AD, H-DROL); the last cycle in the summer of 2010. I am worried that the past ph usage is catching up with me and I am now paying the price for it. I suspect some type of adrenal fatigue, low test, or thyroid issue; possibly a combination of the 3. Getting my doc to authorize all the testing required has been an absolute pain thus far. Here are some of the results I have so far (done via Labcorp):

-TSH: 2.030 uIU/mL
-T4: 5.6
-Free Thyroxine Index: 2.4
-Cortisol Serum (am): 13.4
-Test (Serum): 498 ng/dl
-LH: 7.0 mIU/mL
-FSH: 2.0
-Estradiol: 32.8 pg/mL
-Glucose (fasting) (Serum): 88

I am looking for any constructive advice/input. Getting my doc to authorize more tests will not be easy but I really feel more hormonal/adrenal testing needs to be done. If she does not authorize more testing I will just have to pay out of pocket as I do not believe SSRI's and sedatives are the answers to my problems. Thank you to anyone who responds.
This is a no brainer
You play with fire you get burned.
In research I have done PH are more dangerous then steroids because you are only going by what is known and not is not known yet.
Some of them take up to 13-15 different pass enyzmatic as well as in the liver to get to their active form

Need more tests Please look at my lab testing getting to the core link it should answer some questions.

garythethird

Awards
I have all of the same symptoms you mention; however I have never taken PH or any type of steroid or drug. I have been working out consistently for the past years too. I feel your pain man, especially with the sleep issue. The only way I can describe it to others is that, life basically sucks right now. Hope things get figured out for you man. I'm going to post a thread on my situation, hoping to get some help as well.

quigley

Awards
  • Established
if your doctor is not treating this situation seriously and ordering any/all tests neccessary its time to see a new doctor

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I have all of the same symptoms you mention; however I have never taken PH or any type of steroid or drug. I have been working out consistently for the past years too. I feel your pain man, especially with the sleep issue. The only way I can describe it to others is that, life basically sucks right now. Hope things get figured out for you man. I'm going to post a thread on my situation, hoping to get some help as well.
One needs to get with some one to help address the underlying cause which when sleep is restored then the body will be able to reset it self as well as hormonal pathways. Sleeping pills are showing to be causing memory issues and now even death so these would not be the first suggestion rather then look at the factors which could be disturbing your sleep patterns This is done by looking at the hidden stressor in psychology, structural, biological, environemental, and lifestyle imbalances in the person. Finding out these issues can be a challenge, but with the right open minded Dr, proper testing and research many issues can be identified in a timely manor with medical validation. Working with one's Dr who is open can accelerate the process greatly.

garythethird

Awards
One needs to get with some one to help address the underlying cause which when sleep is restored then the body will be able to reset it self as well as hormonal pathways. Sleeping pills are showing to be causing memory issues and now even death so these would not be the first suggestion rather then look at the factors which could be disturbing your sleep patterns This is done by looking at the hidden stressor in psychology, structural, biological, environemental, and lifestyle imbalances in the person. Finding out these issues can be a challenge, but with the right open minded Dr, proper testing and research many issues can be identified in a timely manor with medical validation. Working with one's Dr who is open can accelerate the process greatly.
Thanks Matrix, but I don't want to jack this thread. I tried to make my own twice now, but it still has yet to be approved by admin. Kind of frustrating.

ljs252

Awards
Thanks for the input guys. Matrix I looked at your getting to the core thread and am trying to get my doc to order as many of those tests as possible but its a struggle. I did do a 24 hour urine cortisol test and my cortisol level was very high. I have an appointment with a sleep doc tomorrow and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that some progress will be made. I also went and saw an anti-aging doc and he had me do a cortisol saliva test as well as some bloodwork but I have yet to get the results back. I came clean to both docs about the substances I used in the past hoping that would make them understand my issues a little better.

I am stressed out a fair share but I do think my past ph usage is causing a major role with the things I am currently dealing with. It flat out sucks going through this but I have no one to blame but myself. But damn finding a good dr is a pain in the ass. It seems like they are resistant to order thorough testing because of the high cost and all they want to do is put you on an ssri. Again thanks to those who responded.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys. Matrix I looked at your getting to the core thread and am trying to get my doc to order as many of those tests as possible but its a struggle. I did do a 24 hour urine cortisol test and my cortisol level was very high. I have an appointment with a sleep doc tomorrow and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that some progress will be made. I also went and saw an anti-aging doc and he had me do a cortisol saliva test as well as some bloodwork but I have yet to get the results back. I came clean to both docs about the substances I used in the past hoping that would make them understand my iqssues a little better.

I am stressed out a fair share but I do think my past ph usage is causing a major role with the things I am currently dealing with. It flat out sucks going through this but I have no one to blame but myself. But damn finding a good dr is a pain in the ass. It seems like they are resistant to order thorough testing because of the high cost and all they want to do is put you on an ssri. Again thanks to those who responded.
Where are.you.locaTed at i have drs all.who i be glad.to recommend.

ljs252

Awards
Can't PM you b/c of my post count Matrix. But I am located in the Morgantown, West Virginia area. Thanks so much for your help/advice.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Can't PM you b/c of my post count Matrix. But I am located in the Morgantown, West Virginia area. Thanks so much for your help/advice.
Not far from a few drs i be glad to.recommend. Will.pm you be

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey again. I'm still having all the same issues the OP of this thread has. Now I'm losing weight too despite eating like crazy and reducing cardio. My dr ran some basic bs tests. The only numbers of importance are:

Total test:468
Free test:73
Shgb:33
Bun-28 abn high
Urea nitrogen-31 abn high
Glucose fasting- 81

No fcking tsh, t4, cortisol.. I was ready to drive there and choke him out when I saw the lack of ordered tests. I'd rally appreciate a rec. Of a dr in ct... Someone who can just work my labs hard and find out what the hell is going On inside me. Im at the end and losing hope in regaining normalcy at 23..

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hey again. I'm still having all the same issues the OP of this thread has. Now I'm losing weight too despite eating like crazy and reducing cardio. My dr ran some basic bs tests. The only numbers of importance are:

Total test:468
Free test:73
Shgb:33
Bun-28 abn high
Urea nitrogen-31 abn high
Glucose fasting- 81

No fcking tsh, t4, cortisol.. I was ready to drive there and choke him out when I saw the lack of ordered tests. I'd rally appreciate a rec. Of a dr in ct... Someone who can just work my labs hard and find out what the hell is going On inside me. Im at the end and losing hope in regaining normalcy at 23..
No thread high jacking LOL

ljs252

Awards
Not far from a few drs i be glad to.recommend. Will.pm you be
Thanks Matrix I got your pm but still can't reply to it b/c of my post count. If you could pm me back a good time to contact you that would be appreciated as my schedule is kind of crazy. Just as an update my 24 hour cortisol test came back high. This morning I had to take a dexamethasone suppression test as my primary doc thinks I may have a pit or adrenal tumor.

I still am waiting on results from a detailed thyroid workup as well and I'm trying to get my primary doc to order reproductive hormone tests such as free test, lh, fsh, prolactin, shbg, etc. I tried to explain to her the necessity in looking at these hormones as well in evaluating HPTA function but she wants to wait and see the results of this dexamethasone test first and then possibly order an mri before looking at more hormones. If worse comes to worse and she won't budge I may order all those tests out of pocket at Lab Corp. because I need to get some answers here fast as things are not getting better and its really affecting me in grad school now. Please pm me any more input/advice as well as a good time to reach you. Thank you very much.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Matrix I got your pm but still can't reply to it b/c of my post count. If you could pm me back a good time to contact you that would be appreciated as my schedule is kind of crazy. Just as an update my 24 hour cortisol test came back high. This morning I had to take a dexamethasone suppression test as my primary doc thinks I may have a pit or adrenal tumor.

I still am waiting on results from a detailed thyroid workup as well and I'm trying to get my primary doc to order reproductive hormone tests such as free test, lh, fsh, prolactin, shbg, etc. I tried to explain to her the necessity in looking at these hormones as well in evaluating HPTA function but she wants to wait and see the results of this dexamethasone test first and then possibly order an mri before looking at more hormones. If worse comes to worse and she won't budge I may order all those tests out of pocket at Lab Corp. because I need to get some answers here fast as things are not getting better and its really affecting me in grad school now. Please pm me any more input/advice as well as a good time to reach you. Thank you very much.
Most likely CAH which can be properly diagnosed with 24 hour urine 5hiaa. There are ways around the system. Define high? If its not significantly out of the range then it could be possible be a lab error which can occur. Good hes checking it.

ljs252

Awards
Most likely CAH which can be properly diagnosed with 24 hour urine 5hiaa. There are ways around the system. Define high? If its not significantly out of the range then it could be possible be a lab error which can occur. Good hes checking it.
My doc did do a 5-HYDROXYINDOLEACETIC ACID 24 hour test. Reference range was 0.0 to 10.0 mg/24h, mine was 6.0 mg/24h. My 24 hour free cortisol reference range was anything less than 60.0 ug/d. My result was 93.8 ug/d. I know stress can be a cause of high cortisol as well as hyperthyroidism. I have only had tsh checked thus far which was 1.583 uiu/ml on my last test. Still waiting for results of t3, ft3, t4, ft4, etc.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
My doc did do a 5-HYDROXYINDOLEACETIC ACID 24 hour test. Reference range was 0.0 to 10.0 mg/24h, mine was 6.0 mg/24h. My 24 hour free cortisol reference range was anything less than 60.0 ug/d. My result was 93.8 ug/d. I know stress can be a cause of high cortisol as well as hyperthyroidism. I have only had tsh checked thus far which was 1.583 uiu/ml on my last test. Still waiting for results of t3, ft3, t4, ft4, etc.
Sounds like this guy is on top of things. Its looking at it clinically which is awesome, but now needs to take a step back then look at factors which may be causing it in the first place out side structural imbalances

ljs252

Awards
Sounds like this guy is on top of things. Its looking at it clinically which is awesome, but now needs to take a step back then look at factors which may be causing it in the first place out side structural imbalances
After the high cortisol test my doc gave me a dexamethasone suppression test to see if I had Cushing's disease or a possible pit tumor. So I took the dex last Thurs. night and felt absolutely terrible when I went to get the blood drawn Thurs. morning. Like terrible to the point where I could barely move. I got the results back and my cortisol was .5. ACTH was low as well so Cushing's has been ruled out.

Also still waiting for my detailed thyroid lab results. My doc is supposedly trying to get me a referral to an endocrinologist as well. I tried to explain to her how the stuff I used can do permanent damage to your hpta, but she didn't seem to grasp that. She asked if I took something like dhea, and I laughed and said no way more potent than that. I tried to push for more testing on free test, shbg, dht, igf-1, estra sensitive, lh, fsh, but my doc said it "isn't medically necessary at this point." So around and around in circles we go. What a healthcare system...