Low Vitamin D - Help me, you fools! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Low Vitamin D - Help me, you fools! :)

I'm only 26, but I know a lot of this information exists and people who are familiar with this stuff hang out in the anti-aging subforum. I just had vitamin D tested and it showed up as 23.8 (low) in a ref range of 30-80. I know that it's supposed to be kept very high within that normal range, too. I have Hashimoto's and so this is certainly one more reason for my sense of urgency in correcting this.

My question to you is this: how should I dose vitamin D to bring this up?

I believe there are prescriptions for high IU dosages of D3, correct? I guess what I'm curious of is if I should request one, as I assume doing this OTC will get kind of pricey. However, I'm also curious of half-life, if the doses should be broken up, with or without food, any other vitamins/minerals that hinder absorption, etc.

I plan to do some research of my own on this, this evening, but I'm out the door right now and rather than waste time, I'd love some assistance on what to do next. Thanks (and reps for those who attempt to help!)!
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

In for repz.
    Drink lots of milk.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.24%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Get your pigmentless body into the sun, especially your hands and face. No more vitamin D deficiency+bronze blake=win!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

first, stop having sex with animals.

even at 20,000 iu a day you are looking at a couple bucks a month tops.
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Bump
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.24%

Here's a helpful little guide I found for ya:

There are many causes that can lead to vitamin D deficiency. Since vitamin D is one of the most important vitamins it is not good idea to have lower vitamin D levels through longer periods of time. Even if in most cases vitamin D deficiency is not serious, it should be timely taken care of. These most cases of vitamin D deficiency are usually treated with higher doses of vitamin D supplements.
    Following things are main causes for vitamin D deficiency:
    • Low cholesterol level, as cholesterol is needed for the skin to convert sunlight into vitamin D.
    • Intake of certain medications.
    • Very large or obese body, as a larger body simply requires more vitamin D.
    • Magnesium deficiency, as magnesium is needed for vitamin D to be converted into its active form.
    • Low fat diets; in order to absorb vitamin D the body needs to have fat (vitamin D is fat-soluble).
    • Older age, as the skin converts less vitamin D from sunlight.
    • Living in the far North or far South.
    • Very dark skin, as the dark skin can block ultraviolet rays to reach the cells responsible for making vitamin D in the skin.
    Additionally there are further serious causes provoking vitamin D deficiency. One of these causes is fat malabsorption, meaning the body can not absorb fat. People diagnosed with health conditions, particularly with digestion problems are likely to have problems with vitamin D absorption.
    If your liver is too toxic, meaning your liver can not efficiently eliminate the accumulated toxins, it will not be able to efficiently convert vitamin D to its active form.
    Just because there is so many possible causes, most of the people have low vitamin D levels. This produce state of vitamin D deficiency, which means that your body is not getting sufficient amounts of vitamin D from foods, direct sunlight and/or vitamin D supplements. Many people are certain they are getting enough vitamin D from sun, food and multivitamin supplements, but the truth is they do not.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Sams club has it cheap! You from Ky? Should be one nearby.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Sams club has it cheap! You from Ky? Should be one nearby.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.49%

4000-5000 iu daily would probably set you straight my man. I don't believe dosing is critical, I usually dose in the morning(when using it) a full dose, but I suppose multiple dosings would work as well. A year or two ago I had a vitamin d test done and like yours it was also pretty low (low 30's if I recall), I started dosing 5000 iu a day, went tanning a few times, and got retested like six weeks later and my levels were in the upper range( like 60-70 range I believe)- and subsequently my hormonal panel was also improved. I used a liquid form that came with a dropper and was super easy to use as well as super cheap.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.24%

I GOT IT! Midwestbeard, the answer is right in front of you and all over you...literally. Now it's no secret that you are hairier than a woolly mammoth yeti cross-breed degenerate. All of that beautiful fur may be keeping you warm but it's also blocking out all the vitamin D from the number one source, sunlight. It's time to shed that winter coat my friend and bask in the light!
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.29%

My doctor prescribed 50,000IU once per week. Been on it for around 3 months, while also getting 6-8000 IU daily from a T-Booster for one of those months. That brought my levels from ~40 to 80 on bloodwork done in the last week, which is where my doctor wants me to be.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.24%

I got a sun tan lotion and a tanning bed. Well, that's not entirely true. The local establishment, which I graced with my nude body, has the tanning beds.
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Thank you for all of the responses, guys. I greatly appreciate it.

There are a handful of things going on. I actually don't have the thick coat that you seem to think, James lol. I trim up, so it's all short hair. However, this past summer, aside from the 2 weeks in HI, I was out of the sun most of the time because of the weight gain. Due to that, I'd also stopped tanning and haven't in quite some time.

That being said, I plan to start tanning again, but I'd also like to supplement vitamin D, because even though the normal range is very wide, it's optimal to be at a very high vitamin D level (at least in my case). As far as that list of things goes, James, I'm actually not doing anything that would put me at a deficiency.

jaymode - that sounds like what I'd like to do. My biggest question, still, is if there are any benefits to dosing it: multiple times per day, with or without anything specific. I also want to know if there is a threshold (e.g. how vitamin C isn't advised to be taken in doses over 500mg or how the body can only absorb certain amounts of vitamins or minerals at a given time). Does anyone have info on that?

I do have some D3 stashed away and I'll probably start dosing that, along with tanning, but I certainly want my levels up at least at 70, if not higher, and dosing a scrip value would be preferable if there's no downside to dosing that way (or if it isn't ridiculously priced versus some NOW D3 or something).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.29%

4 Pills of the 50000IU Vitamin D3 costs me around $17 from my pharmacy. I always take it after a meal since it is fat soluble
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I read the title of the thread, and immediately thought, "who is this A-Hole?"

It looks like you have most of it figured out now.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%

Quote Originally Posted by jaymode View Post
    4 Pills of the 50000IU Vitamin D3 costs me around $17 from my pharmacy. I always take it after a meal since it is fat soluble
    It looks like 180,000IU cost $5 versus 200,000IU for $17 (granted, it would depend on what my insurance covered -- I'll have to look into that).

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...-softgels.html

The drawback, obviously, would be eating pills like crazy versus just one a week lol.
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%

500,000IU for $6 from Swanson. I think I know what I'm doing.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.11%

I would try and take it with your largest meal of the day or at least with fats to improve absorption.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.29%

Yea my insurance doesn't cover the d3 and I thought it would be cheaper to take in supplement form, which you just proved.
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%

I ended up going with a 250 count bottle of 5,000IU for $14 shipped.

Thank you to everyone who posted in here for your help (and a big thank you to mr. cooper69 for giving me some assistance via PM).

I really appreciate it.

21. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Again you are falling into the typical pattern, Just because you take a supplement your levels will go up . Guess again, I brought this up to a bunch of Dr's last night and explained the theory behind it. They where like that make sense....
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix
    Again you are falling into the typical pattern, Just because you take a supplement your levels will go up . Guess again, I brought this up to a bunch of Dr's last night and explained the theory behind it. They where like that make sense....
    Can you explain?
    Are you basically saying that supplementing with vit D isn't necessarily going to bring his levels back within range?
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.11%

Many people have absorption issues with vitamin D along with many other things. It's individual and not a guaranteed quick fix.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  24. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    Many people have absorption issues with vitamin D along with many other things. It's individual and not a guaranteed quick fix.
    Excessive body fat can act with an organ which will increase the need for vitamin D.
    Its not the vitamin D, but the form
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  25. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%

Well what would your recommendation be, then?

I plan to supplement with a high dose of D3, along with getting into the sun as much as I can, whenever weather permits it (being in the midwest, it's always hit and miss).

Aside from that, I don't see what else I'd be overlooking, because that level is obviously very low and no where near what I want it to be.
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Well what would your recommendation be, then?

I plan to supplement with a high dose of D3, along with getting into the sun as much as I can, whenever weather permits it (being in the midwest, it's always hit and miss).

Aside from that, I don't see what else I'd be overlooking, because that level is obviously very low and no where near what I want it to be.
    keep in mind that for sunlight to be meaningful, it does need to be over a significant fraction of your skin area if I recall
  27. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    keep in mind that for sunlight to be meaningful, it does need to be over a significant fraction of your skin area if I recall
    Not true one may absorb it, but may not convert to vitamin D in the skin because of possible mutations which may be occuring or some kind of enzymatic deficiency. When you have people from florida with good tans people think vitamin D levels are high ..NOT TRUE. Blacks have one of the highest rate of vitamin D deficiency I see in ethnic backgrounds
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Not true one may absorb it, but may not convert to vitamin D in the skin because of possible mutations which may be occuring or some kind of enzymatic deficiency. When you have people from florida with good tans people think vitamin D levels are high ..NOT TRUE. Blacks have one of the highest rate of vitamin D deficiency I see in ethnic backgrounds
    Right. I'd read that those with darker skin often have issues.

But there's no way to know if there's a conversion problem or something else short of supplementing and getting more sun and then re-testing. And even if there is other testing and things to look at, why wouldn't I just do these things, check levels again and then if it's still low, go from there and pursue another culprit.

I've been out of the sun almost entirely in the past 8 months. It would make sense that that, along with just a general tendency to have lower D levels, could be the problem.
  29. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Its not rocket sceince
    Test supplement retest.
    Question is what is causing it? It might be a red flag to other issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Right. I'd read that those with darker skin often have issues.

But there's no way to know if there's a conversion problem or something else short of supplementing and getting more sun and then re-testing. And even if there is other testing and things to look at, why wouldn't I just do these things, check levels again and then if it's still low, go from there and pursue another culprit.

I've been out of the sun almost entirely in the past 8 months. It would make sense that that, along with just a general tendency to have lower D levels, could be the problem.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.6%

so take the D3 or get in the sun, or both?
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38%

Its not rocket sceince
    Test supplement retest.
    Oh no doubt. The main reason I wanted it checked in the first place was the confirmation that I have Hashimoto's and looking at the proper way of finding the problem (hopefully an imbalance in TH-1 and TH-2) and correcting it, so I can level my body back out and I should also be able to get off of the thyroid meds, too.
  32. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Quote Originally Posted by fanzdslpwr1 View Post
    so take the D3 or get in the sun, or both?
    Depends on the levels and the absorption of both sun and supplements.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.6%

is the tanning booth a good option if you can't get some sun?
  34. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Quote Originally Posted by fanzdslpwr1 View Post
    is the tanning booth a good option if you can't get some sun?
    Not worth the risk on the skin as well as depletion of antioxidents
  35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.6%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Yeah, my endo says that sunlight on upper legs and lower stomach can be better. I am a pro surfer, but in wetsuits a majority of the time as I hit big wave breaks in cold places and in winter swells. Doc said face, forearms and lower legs not as good. My D has run low a couple of times over the years. I just take 800 ius a day in off season and when not in sun light a lot.
  36. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Quote Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
    Yeah, my endo says that sunlight on upper legs and lower stomach can be better. I am a pro surfer, but in wetsuits a majority of the time as I hit big wave breaks in cold places and in winter swells. Doc said face, forearms and lower legs not as good. My D has run low a couple of times over the years. I just take 800 ius a day in off season and when not in sun light a lot.
    800 ius will not do crap..your endo is totally misinformed like usual
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Its not rocket sceince
    Test supplement retest.

Which other issues (besides no sun, absorption, or enzymatic issues) can cause low vitamin D?

I personally take 10,000iu of D3 per day. Once a week or so I take 25,000 iu. If for some reason Iv'e been forgetting to supplement, I take 25,000 iu for a week or two then back to 10,000 iu.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  38. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Which other issues (besides no sun, absorption, or enzymatic issues) can cause low vitamin D?

I personally take 10,000iu of D3 per day. Once a week or so I take 25,000 iu. If for some reason Iv'e been forgetting to supplement, I take 25,000 iu for a week or two then back to 10,000 iu.
    Altered SNP's
  39. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Ahh so it can come down to genetics.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  40. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.02%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Ahh so it can come down to genetics.
    More like many people have the gene, but if it gets triggered that is a whole other scenerio.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 03:14 AM
  2. April Fools Jokes - play or get played?
    By drivehard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 12:49 AM
  3. US border agents make fools of themsevles yet again
    By jomi822 in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 07:41 PM
  4. checking in on you fools
    By glenihan in forum General Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 11:41 PM