Yet another blood tests results discussion

KaKTy3

Awards
Hi, all.

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

I finally managed to get full blood tests done outside the UK, as it's bloody expensive to do that over here.

The results are generally fine (interesting hormonal bits are listed below), but what's obvious is that my estradiol and SHBG levels are way too high. I've run E-Pharm Test-Force 2 (DAA) and PES Erase for couple of months in Oct-Nov this year, but otherwise nothing that could potentially impact these results and I am yet to use any ergogenics, so these are drug-free results.

I am 32 yo, 87 kg (192 lbs) following a cut two weeks ago and approx. 17% bf. I've been strength training for 1.5 years and eat clean. Blood analysis, lipids, kidneys, prostate are all handy-dandy. Supplementation is multi-vitamins/minerals (Gaspari Anavite) with additional Opti-Zinc (50 mg), high absorption magnesium and 5g of Omega-3 (which, AFAIK, have bearing on SHBG). I'll be starting 4,000 IU of Vitamin D-3 daily beginning next week.

Total testosterone 645 ng/dL [ 22.38 nmol/L*] (249-836)
Estradiol 36.01 pg/mL [ 12.49 nmol/L*] (7.63-42.60)
Sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG) 64.00 nmol/L (13.00-71.00)
Luteinizing hormone (LH) 4.58 mIU/mL (1.70-8.60)
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) 2.49 mIU/mL (1.50-12.40)
Cortisole 12.10 mkg/dL (3.7-19.4)
Progesterone 0.751 ng/mL (0.20-1.40)
* Free testosterone 8.46 ng/dL (1.31%)
* Bioavailable testosterone 229 ng/dL (35.5%)

* These were calculated based on the traditional to SI units conversion table and a free testosterone calculator (using albumin, SHBG and total testosterone measurements).

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) 3.20 mIU/l (0.270-4.200)
Free T4 17.47 pmol/l (12.00-22.00)
Free T3 5.87 pmol/l (3.10-6.80)

Other than losing further BF% prior to starting ergogenics, what would you recommend? What would cause these relatively high SHBG levels? I'd imagine estrogen levels are driven by bf%.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the above. TIA

Happy to post other results, if useful.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hi, all.

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

I finally managed to get full blood tests done outside the UK, as it's bloody expensive to do that over here.

The results are generally fine (interesting hormonal bits are listed below), but what's obvious is that my estradiol and SHBG levels are way too high. I've run E-Pharm Test-Force 2 (DAA) and PES Erase for couple of months in Oct-Nov this year, but otherwise nothing that could potentially impact these results and I am yet to use any ergogenics, so these are drug-free results.

I am 32 yo, 87 kg (192 lbs) following a cut two weeks ago and approx. 17% bf. I've been strength training for 1.5 years and eat clean. Blood analysis, lipids, kidneys, prostate are all handy-dandy. Supplementation is multi-vitamins/minerals (Gaspari Anavite) with additional Opti-Zinc (50 mg), high absorption magnesium and 5g of Omega-3 (which, AFAIK, have bearing on SHBG). I'll be starting 4,000 IU of Vitamin D-3 daily beginning next week.

Total testosterone 645 ng/dL [ 22.38 nmol/L*] (249-836)
Estradiol 36.01 pg/mL [ 12.49 nmol/L*] (7.63-42.60)
Sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG) 64.00 nmol/L (13.00-71.00)
Luteinizing hormone (LH) 4.58 mIU/mL (1.70-8.60)
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) 2.49 mIU/mL (1.50-12.40)
Cortisole 12.10 mkg/dL (3.7-19.4)
Progesterone 0.751 ng/mL (0.20-1.40)
* Free testosterone 8.46 ng/dL (1.31%)
* Bioavailable testosterone 229 ng/dL (35.5%)

* These were calculated based on the traditional to SI units conversion table and a free testosterone calculator (using albumin, SHBG and total testosterone measurements).

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) 3.20 mIU/l (0.270-4.200)
Free T4 17.47 pmol/l (12.00-22.00)
Free T3 5.87 pmol/l (3.10-6.80)

Other than losing further BF% prior to starting ergogenics, what would you recommend? What would cause these relatively high SHBG levels? I'd imagine estrogen levels are driven by bf%.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the above. TIA

Happy to post other results, if useful.
Are you intermediate fasting? elevate SHBG is due to low carb diets, starvation, and also malabsorption, hidden inflammation. I have been researching this stuff for several months and it may be for the fact is your body is trying to lower its bio T in order to compensate or protect the adrenals due to low cortisol or pre-existing hidden inflammation. thyroid looks find, but I would love to see adrenal stress profile 24 cortisol saliva which can be done at lab corp 4 point. I also supect the reading on the e2 levels is about 15-20 points higher then what it is reading as this the common occurance between quest and lab corp testing. I feel your e2 or your bodys abiility to get rid of estrogens in not working properly.

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
what kind of symptoms led to getting the labs done?

KaKTy3

Awards
Are you intermediate fasting?
I am indeed, LeanGains specifically, so you might be onto something.

thyroid looks find, but I would love to see adrenal stress profile 24 cortisol saliva which can be done at lab corp 4 point. I also supect the reading on the e2 levels is about 15-20 points higher then what it is reading as this the common occurance between quest and lab corp testing. I feel your e2 or your bodys abiility to get rid of estrogens in not working properly.
These weren't done in the US. I am based in the UK, but did these on holiday in Eastern Europe (at about 1/3 of the cost, I must add). I'll re-test again in 2-3 months' time and see whether there's any marked change in the results. FWIW, I always tended to deposit fat in my abdominal area even as 18 yo doing competetive boxing (with crappy diet, I must add), so my E2 levels might have been high ever since, but of course it never occured to me to test it back then. I then have about 12 years of coach potato existence. I don't smoke and haven't drank any alcohol for 10 months.

Also, I must add there were a few results that were out of reference ranges, but I disregarded them in my first post, as doing research hasn't triggered any alarms. I apologise for the omission and recognise I probably shouldn't have in the first place. Here they are, the rest were in line:

Platelets 144 10e3/mm3 (150-410)
Platelet width distribution 24.30% (11.50-18.00%)
Neutrophils 42% (48.0-72%)
Lymphocytes 46.6% (18.0-42.0%)
ASAT 43.30 U/L (0.00-37.00)
Albumin 50.00 g/L (34.00-48.00)
Calcium 2.61 mmol/L (2.15-2.55)

I am also a blood donor, latest donation was about a month ago.

what kind of symptoms led to getting the labs done?
Low libido (no ED issues), irritability, poor muscle tissue growth/quick fat gain.

To qualifty the latter, I've dieted down to about 88 kg before I started training 1.5 years ago, gone up to 93.5 kg, but most of these was fat, as a recent PSMF-based cut has revealed. I've only trained using compount lifts (Stronglifts/Starting Strength and then onto PL-based programmes) with two injury related breaks during that time (shoulder injury 3 weeks and chest infection 3 weeks), yet my strength gains have been relatively poor (my current PBs are: squat 287 lbs; bench 215 lbs; deadlift 342 lbs).

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
This intermitted fasted is fuken peoples chemistry up !! majorly. Look great but biologically you are going to hell in a hand basket..

jonko

Awards
Platelets are low. Are you having any bruising or bleeding gums ?
I wonder if you giving blood one month ago would cause a drop in platelets?
I gave blood 2 weeks before my last blood test and I noticed my platelets were about 50,000 below what they normally are (although within normal ranges)
Im not sure how long it takes for platelets to replace after a blood donation

KaKTy3

Awards
Platelets are low. Are you having any bruising or bleeding gums ?
I wonder if you giving blood one month ago would cause a drop in platelets?
I don't think this is due to blood donation. I am pretty certain low platelet count and high width distribution is a result of Omega-3 supplementation, as fish fatty acids are known to alter platelet function. As I mentioned earlier, currently I supplement with 5g of Omega-3 daily.

There isn't any abnormal bleeding or bruising as far as I am concerned.

KaKTy3

Awards
This intermitted fasted is fuken peoples chemistry up !! majorly. Look great but biologically you are going to hell in a hand basket..
There definitely seems to be a connection between fasting and SHBG. I am going to switch to a more 'conventional' diet for the next two months and re-test my hormonal levels then to see what the change is, if any.

Thanks for your input.

jonko

Awards
I don't think this is due to blood donation. I am pretty certain low platelet count and high width distribution is a result of Omega-3 supplementation, as fish fatty acids are known to alter platelet function. As I mentioned earlier, currently I supplement with 5g of Omega-3 daily.

There isn't any abnormal bleeding or bruising as far as I am concerned.
Oh Really? thats good to know, I recently added Omega # and a lot of fish also, so maybe thats why I had a drop. I didn't know this

vincentv

Awards
Hello,

Your blood results are similar to mine. Did you take propecia or saw palmetto? How about accutane?

I would really like to keep in contact with you and see what your doing can you pm me?

THanks

vincentv

Awards
Hello,

Your blood results are similar to mine. Did you take propecia or saw palmetto? How about accutane?

I would really like to keep in contact with you and see what your doing can you pm me?

THanks