Blood Work Results - Low Free Test - What do you think?

  1. New Member
    eiff's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    37
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    40.67%

    Blood Work Results - Low Free Test - What do you think?


    Hello!

    Hoping someone can help my decipher some of this.

    The first figure is my result and the second figure is the "Standard Range". I asked to be checked because I've felt a loss of energy, lack of progress in workouts, and lowered libido.

    Do you think I should consider HRT? Is there any indication of this being primary or secondary? I'm still learning.

    ---

    # BASICS

    I'm 29, 5'9", 205lbs, 18-20ish%BF.
    A lcohol: I'd say I drink 1 glass of wine a week.
    D rugs: None at all, past or present, except for Flonase for allergies. Never taken any sort of testosterone , hormone , etc.

    I have a desk job and workout 4 times a week & cardio, count my calories everyday - 3000 with 300g protein daily (trying to build strength). I take a multivitamin, greens supplement , vitamin D, fish oil daily.

    ---

    First tests (Taken 1/25/12 @ 11am)

    # TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL AND FREE

    Total Testosterone 2.8 2.5 - 11.5 ng/mL
    Free Testosterone 4.22 9.00 - 47.00 pg/mL L

    ---

    Second tests (Taken 2/1/12 @ 8am)

    Testosterone Bioavailable 194
    Reference range: 131 to 682
    Unit: ng/dL
    (NOTE)
    INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Testosterone , Bioavailable
    Tanner Stage IV 40 - 485 ng/dL
    Tanner Stage V 124 - 596 ng/dL
    The concentrations of free and bioavailable
    testosterone are derived from mathematical expressions
    based on constants for the binding of testosterone to
    albumin and/or sex hormone binding globulin.

    Testosterone Free 65
    Reference range: 47 to 244
    Unit: pg/mL
    (NOTE)
    INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Testosterone , Free
    Tanner Stage IV 35 - 169 pg/mL
    Tanner Stage V 41 - 239 pg/mL
    To convert to pmol/L, multiply pg/mL by 3.47.
    The concentration of Free Testosterone is derived from
    a mathematical expression based on the constant for
    the binding of testosterone to sex hormone binding
    globulin.

    Testosterone % Free 1.7
    Reference range: 1.6 to 2.9
    Unit: %
    (NOTE)
    Performed by ARUP Laboratories,

    Testosterone Total 380
    Reference range: 300 to 1080
    Unit: ng/dL
    (NOTE)
    INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Testosterone , Adult Male
    To convert to nmol/L, multiply ng/dL by 0.0347.

    Sex Horm Bind Glob 35
    Reference range: 11 to 80

    # LUTEINIZING HORMONE, BASELINE

    Baseline 2.2 mIU/mL

    # FSH

    FSH 5.1 mIU/mL
    Male Reference Range:
    Males: 13-70 years: 1.4 - 18.1 mIU/mL

    # THYROID SCREEN

    FT4 1.0 0.8 - 1.5 ng/dL
    TSH 1.820 0.358 - 3.740 uIU/mL
    All TSH values represent 3rd generation TSH.

    # PROLACTIN

    Prolactin 5.2 2.1 - 17.7 ng/mL

    # CORTISOL

    Cortisol 11.3 ug/dL
    Cortisol Reference Range:
    a.m. serum (7 - 9 a.m.): 4.30 - 22.40 ug/dL
    p.m. serum (3 - 5 p.m.): 3.09 - 16.66 ug/dL

    ---

    There's no reference range on the LH. Weird. Also, the endocrinologist that I went to to get these additional tests worked to try and downplay my previous low 'Free T' result that was flagged as low. Something about it just being a calculation and not actually reflecting my free T. Didn't quite get what he meant. It's strange to me that there's a 'Free Testosterone ' and a 'Testosterone Free' and one is flagged as low and the other isn't.

    Any insight is hugely appreciated.

    Thanks,
    - Eiff

  2. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    THis is still incomplete data, to make any sounds observation.

    Quote Originally Posted by eiff View Post
    Hello!

    Hoping someone can help my decipher some of this.

    The first figure is my result and the second figure is the "Standard Range". I asked to be checked because I've felt a loss of energy, lack of progress in workouts, and lowered libido.

    Do you think I should consider HRT? Is there any indication of this being primary or secondary? I'm still learning.

    ---

    # BASICS

    I'm 29, 5'9", 205lbs, 18-20ish%BF.
    A lcohol: I'd say I drink 1 glass of wine a week.
    D rugs: None at all, past or present, except for Flonase for allergies. Never taken any sort of testosterone , hormone , etc.

    I have a desk job and workout 4 times a week & cardio, count my calories everyday - 3000 with 300g protein daily (trying to build strength). I take a multivitamin, greens supplement , vitamin D, fish oil daily.

    ---

    First tests (Taken 1/25/12 @ 11am)

    # TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL AND FREE

    Total Testosterone 2.8 2.5 - 11.5 ng/mL
    Free Testosterone 4.22 9.00 - 47.00 pg/mL L

    ---

    Second tests (Taken 2/1/12 @ 8am)

    Testosterone Bioavailable 194
    Reference range: 131 to 682
    Unit: ng/dL
    (NOTE)
    INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Testosterone , Bioavailable
    Tanner Stage IV 40 - 485 ng/dL
    Tanner Stage V 124 - 596 ng/dL
    The concentrations of free and bioavailable
    testosterone are derived from mathematical expressions
    based on constants for the binding of testosterone to
    albumin and/or sex hormone binding globulin.

    Testosterone Free 65
    Reference range: 47 to 244
    Unit: pg/mL
    (NOTE)
    INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Testosterone , Free
    Tanner Stage IV 35 - 169 pg/mL
    Tanner Stage V 41 - 239 pg/mL
    To convert to pmol/L, multiply pg/mL by 3.47.
    The concentration of Free Testosterone is derived from
    a mathematical expression based on the constant for
    the binding of testosterone to sex hormone binding
    globulin.

    Testosterone % Free 1.7
    Reference range: 1.6 to 2.9
    Unit: %
    (NOTE)
    Performed by ARUP Laboratories,

    Testosterone Total 380
    Reference range: 300 to 1080
    Unit: ng/dL
    (NOTE)
    INTERPRETIVE INFORMATION: Testosterone , Adult Male
    To convert to nmol/L, multiply ng/dL by 0.0347.

    Sex Horm Bind Glob 35
    Reference range: 11 to 80

    # LUTEINIZING HORMONE, BASELINE

    Baseline 2.2 mIU/mL

    # FSH

    FSH 5.1 mIU/mL
    Male Reference Range:
    Males: 13-70 years: 1.4 - 18.1 mIU/mL

    # THYROID SCREEN

    FT4 1.0 0.8 - 1.5 ng/dL
    TSH 1.820 0.358 - 3.740 uIU/mL
    All TSH values represent 3rd generation TSH.

    # PROLACTIN

    Prolactin 5.2 2.1 - 17.7 ng/mL

    # CORTISOL

    Cortisol 11.3 ug/dL
    Cortisol Reference Range:
    a.m. serum (7 - 9 a.m.): 4.30 - 22.40 ug/dL
    p.m. serum (3 - 5 p.m.): 3.09 - 16.66 ug/dL

    ---

    There's no reference range on the LH. Weird. Also, the endocrinologist that I went to to get these additional tests worked to try and downplay my previous low 'Free T' result that was flagged as low. Something about it just being a calculation and not actually reflecting my free T. Didn't quite get what he meant. It's strange to me that there's a 'Free Testosterone ' and a 'Testosterone Free' and one is flagged as low and the other isn't.

    Any insight is hugely appreciated.

    Thanks,
    - Eiff
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  3. New Member
    eiff's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    37
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    40.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    THis is still incomplete data, to make any sounds observation.
    Hi Matrix,
    Thanks so much for the reply. I'm obviously not alone when I say that everything you do here means a lot to me. I've learned much.

    I brought Dr Crisler's list of tests to my doctor. He agreed to most of them and this is the result (prev post). Would some additional tests be what I need?

    My Endo gave me the option of going on TRT, but I refused it. I'm more interested in finding the root cause, but I'm unsure where to go from here. He said b/c my LH levels aren't high, it's more of a 'secondary' problem than 'primary'. Would you agree with this?

    Thanks again for your time.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    bad rad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    382
    Rep Power
    1915
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    69.1%

    Did you test your estrogen levles?
    Lift heavy and eat lots of dead animals! Yes, that's me in my avatar.
  5. New Member
    eiff's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    37
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    40.67%

    Oh weird.
    I kinda swore I had those in there. Sorry bout that.


    # ESTRADIOL

    Estradiol 7.6 pg/mL
    Male Reference Range
    3-70 pg/mL
    This estradiol assay uses DPC-RIA reagents and detects
    endogenous as well as exogenous estradiol (natural or synthetic).
  6. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    7704
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    36.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by eiff View Post
    Oh weird.
    I kinda swore I had those in there. Sorry bout that.


    # ESTRADIOL

    Estradiol 7.6 pg/mL
    Male Reference Range
    3-70 pg/mL
    This estradiol assay uses DPC-RIA reagents and detects
    endogenous as well as exogenous estradiol (natural or synthetic).
    For some people this test is not accurate I reconfirm it with quest 4021x if symptoms persist.
    Eiff check mail
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Blood test results total free test 277
    By elgenyo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 09:04 PM
  2. Blood work results.. What to do next?
    By MattD99 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
  3. blood work results
    By mikey00843 in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
  4. Blood work test results
    By funkja in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
  5. Blood Work Results
    By jms31 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in