Hashimoto's Thyroiditis? I'm Only 22, What is Going On?

Health

Awards
Hello, I am a 22 year old male with very low income living in the greater Toronto area of Ontario.
I have felt for sometime that I have had a thyroid disorder because I have many symptoms such as: gynecomastia, panic attacks with palpitations, feelings of having a heart attack, thoughts of death, difficulty sleeping/tremors, highs and strong lows in mood, constant jaw pain/swollen glands, stomach pain/nausea and diarrhea, testicular pain, retraction/tightening of penis; this is constantly discomforting, loss of penile size, dry pale skin and coarse and damaged hair, muscle tightening and pain, depression/strange thoughts, constant fatigue/waking up tired, extreme sensitivity to both the heat and the cold, frequent urination, constantly feeling dehydrated, inability to focus and deal with stress, jittery nerves/jumpiness, excessive sweating, headaches, blurred vision, constant hunger, signs of adrenal dehydration, numbness/pins and needles, cysts in body, often times getting sick or infected and lasting for long periods - constant cough. I can actually feel the pain under my jaw like something is destroying something there (I can feel this more if I smoke marijuana - which I don't do anymore really because of the pain it causes or causes me to focus on) I am a pale person, however I often get very hot and red sometimes out of the blue. This past weekend I haven't been able to feel my one foot for the better half of it.

I remember a time when I had a few ticks bite me and I am starting to wonder if I had lyme disease that potentially developed into some sort of hypothyroid issue after being untreated. This all has been going on for over 5 years. I am 22 now. Not all of the symptoms existed initially but I seemingly keep gaining new ones. At first I used to sweat a lot, uncontrollably, I switched to simply deodorant from antiperspirant, at first it didn't seem to help much, but now either the sweating went away on its own, or that helped it. Most distressing of the symptoms is the penis loss/discomfort, lack of daily energy/complete and utter fatigue, and constantly having to worry about whether or not I'm gonna have sudden nausea/diarrhea.

I will clarify by saying I was never really a body builder, I just saw some good advice on here from a lot of users (specifically The Matrix)
and I was wondering if perhaps someone could give me insight into my own situation. 5 years ago I was in good health, these days I barely have the energy to leave bed most days...

I ran some tests and I will post the results here:
(My number is to the left, with the ranges being to the right in brackets)

Glucose Serum Fasting: 5.4 mmol/L (3.6-6.00)
Creatinine: 83 umol/L (60-110.00)
eGFR: >=90 (60-99999.98)
Calcium: 2.48 mmol/L (2.20-2.65)
Magnesium: 0.80 MMOL/L (0.65-1.05)
Cholesterol: 4.20 mmol/L (<=5.19)
Triglycerides: 1.04 mmol/L (<=2.29)
HDL Cholesterol: 1.84 mmol/L (1-99999.00)
LDL Cholesterol: 1.88 mmol/L
TC/HDL-C Ratio: 2.3

Vitamin B12: 307 pmol/L (<221)
Ferritin: 303 ug/L (31-300.00)
Sodium: 139 mmol/L (135-145.00)
Potassium: 4.0 mmol/L (3.3-5.1)
CK: 86 U/L (<=224.99)
AST: 19 U/L (<=36.99)
ALT: 19 U/L (<=45.99)

sTSH: 5.38 mU/L (0.35-5.00)
T4 Free: 14 pmol/L (12-22)
Free T3: 4.8 PMOL/L (2.6-5.7)

Cortisol Fasting: 675 nmol/L (170-540)
Testosterone: 16.1 nmol/L (7.6-31.40)
Hemoglobin: 158 g/L (135-170.000)
Hematocrit: 0.45 l/l (0.38-0.490)
RBC: 5.17 10*12/L (4.2-5.700)
RBC Indices: MCV: 87 06/1998 (80-97.000)
MCH: 31 (27-32)
MCHC: 350 g/L (320-360.000)
RDW: 12.7 (11.5-15.500)
WBC: 6.5 10**9/L (4-11.000)
Platelets: 214 10**9/L (145-400.000)
MPV: 8.8 (7.4-11.300)

Differential WBC's:
Neutrophils: 3.38 (1.80-7.00)
Lymphocytes: 2.08 (1.00-3.20)
Monocytes: 0.78 (0.00-0.80)
Eosinophils: 0.26 (0.00-0.40)
Basophils: 0.07 (0.00-0.30)
Folate, RBC: 2260 nmol/L (>861)

25 Hydroxy Vitamin D: 32 (76-250)

jdub1980

Awards
I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Had a lot of the same symptoms you have and decided to have hormone levels checked. TSH and thyroid antibodies were high. Cortisol levels were in range but low. Test levels were also low. Doc put me on test cyp and Synthroid. I have been treating adrenals with Isocort. Recently asked doc to put me on Armour, but he "didn't feel comfortable" with that treatment for Hashimoto's. I decided to try it anyway after lots of research and got some Thiroyd from Thailand. Will have thyroid labs done again in January to see if natural desiccated is working properly.

I would like to be able to continue discussions with other people on this forum who have hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hello, I am a 22 year old male with very low income living in the greater Toronto area of Ontario.
I have felt for sometime that I have had a thyroid disorder because I have many symptoms such as: gynecomastia, panic attacks with palpitations, feelings of having a heart attack, thoughts of death, difficulty sleeping/tremors, highs and strong lows in mood, constant jaw pain/swollen glands, stomach pain/nausea and diarrhea, testicular pain, retraction/tightening of penis; this is constantly discomforting, loss of penile size, dry pale skin and coarse and damaged hair, muscle tightening and pain, depression/strange thoughts, constant fatigue/waking up tired, extreme sensitivity to both the heat and the cold, frequent urination, constantly feeling dehydrated, inability to focus and deal with stress, jittery nerves/jumpiness, excessive sweating, headaches, blurred vision, constant hunger, signs of adrenal dehydration, numbness/pins and needles, cysts in body, often times getting sick or infected and lasting for long periods - constant cough. I can actually feel the pain under my jaw like something is destroying something there (I can feel this more if I smoke marijuana - which I don't do anymore really because of the pain it causes or causes me to focus on) I am a pale person, however I often get very hot and red sometimes out of the blue. This past weekend I haven't been able to feel my one foot for the better half of it.

I remember a time when I had a few ticks bite me and I am starting to wonder if I had lyme disease that potentially developed into some sort of hypothyroid issue after being untreated. This all has been going on for over 5 years. I am 22 now. Not all of the symptoms existed initially but I seemingly keep gaining new ones. At first I used to sweat a lot, uncontrollably, I switched to simply deodorant from antiperspirant, at first it didn't seem to help much, but now either the sweating went away on its own, or that helped it. Most distressing of the symptoms is the penis loss/discomfort, lack of daily energy/complete and utter fatigue, and constantly having to worry about whether or not I'm gonna have sudden nausea/diarrhea.

I will clarify by saying I was never really a body builder, I just saw some good advice on here from a lot of users (specifically The Matrix)
and I was wondering if perhaps someone could give me insight into my own situation. 5 years ago I was in good health, these days I barely have the energy to leave bed most days...

I ran some tests and I will post the results here:
(My number is to the left, with the ranges being to the right in brackets)

Glucose Serum Fasting: 5.4 mmol/L (3.6-6.00)
Creatinine: 83 umol/L (60-110.00)
eGFR: >=90 (60-99999.98)
Calcium: 2.48 mmol/L (2.20-2.65)
Magnesium: 0.80 MMOL/L (0.65-1.05)
Cholesterol: 4.20 mmol/L (<=5.19)
Triglycerides: 1.04 mmol/L (<=2.29)
HDL Cholesterol: 1.84 mmol/L (1-99999.00)
LDL Cholesterol: 1.88 mmol/L
TC/HDL-C Ratio: 2.3

Vitamin B12: 307 pmol/L (<221)
Ferritin: 303 ug/L (31-300.00)
Sodium: 139 mmol/L (135-145.00)
Potassium: 4.0 mmol/L (3.3-5.1)
CK: 86 U/L (<=224.99)
AST: 19 U/L (<=36.99)
ALT: 19 U/L (<=45.99)

sTSH: 5.38 mU/L (0.35-5.00)
T4 Free: 14 pmol/L (12-22)
Free T3: 4.8 PMOL/L (2.6-5.7)

Cortisol Fasting: 675 nmol/L (170-540)
Testosterone: 16.1 nmol/L (7.6-31.40)
Hemoglobin: 158 g/L (135-170.000)
Hematocrit: 0.45 l/l (0.38-0.490)
RBC: 5.17 10*12/L (4.2-5.700)
RBC Indices: MCV: 87 06/1998 (80-97.000)
MCH: 31 (27-32)
MCHC: 350 g/L (320-360.000)
RDW: 12.7 (11.5-15.500)
WBC: 6.5 10**9/L (4-11.000)
Platelets: 214 10**9/L (145-400.000)
MPV: 8.8 (7.4-11.300)

Differential WBC's:
Neutrophils: 3.38 (1.80-7.00)
Lymphocytes: 2.08 (1.00-3.20)
Monocytes: 0.78 (0.00-0.80)
Eosinophils: 0.26 (0.00-0.40)
Basophils: 0.07 (0.00-0.30)
Folate, RBC: 2260 nmol/L (>861)

25 Hydroxy Vitamin D: 32 (76-250)
vitamin b12 is low<500 causes neurological damage over time.
vitamin D is low needs to be increased to optimal 60-70 ng/dl
insulin resistance may be possible even with normal lipids.
their are no indicators of hashimotis no TPO,TGAB readings
I see possible secondary hypothyroidism due to adrenal imbalances (check cortisol saliva), your ft3 is pooling not getting back to turn off tsh signaling.
please check ferritin since this may cause higher ft3

low b-12 i would evaluate for further Gi imbalances.
no trt is needed at this time till other issues are evaluated, If Dr putting you on hrt right away..run other way because its just symptom of the cause.

Need further assistance PM me.
no e2, shgb where never evaluated.

Health

Awards
I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Had a lot of the same symptoms you have and decided to have hormone levels checked. TSH and thyroid antibodies were high. Cortisol levels were in range but low. Test levels were also low. Doc put me on test cyp and Synthroid. I have been treating adrenals with Isocort. Recently asked doc to put me on Armour, but he "didn't feel comfortable" with that treatment for Hashimoto's. I decided to try it anyway after lots of research and got some Thiroyd from Thailand. Will have thyroid labs done again in January to see if natural desiccated is working properly.

I would like to be able to continue discussions with other people on this forum who have hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's.
I still need to be fully diagnosed with it. I am getting checked for thyroid antibodies tomorrow. I just for the longest time felt my issue was thyroid related and that it swings between hyper and hypo. I want to find a doctor who will use Armour from the get go since I have heard bad things about synthetic. My doctor hasn't really begun treating my adrenals or even made mention of that. Did you do a 24 hour cortisol test? I still need to get that done. I have been reading a lot about maintaining a gluten free diet and how that may greatly help those with hashi's. Also, I read a link between lyme disease and thyroid issues and I was bitten by a few ticks while younger, I just never looked into it. There's too many things linked here that seemingly just progress into more and larger issues so I'd like to solve this to the root cause.

Health

Awards
My ferritin was 303ug/L

Also, my doctor isn't putting me on anything. He's simply done nothing.
He will just run new tests when I ask him to.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
My ferritin was 303ug/L

Also, my doctor isn't putting me on anything. He's simply done nothing.
He will just run new tests when I ask him to.
Red flag for hidden inflammation.
Fine if he's ok running test contact me and we will have a field day, because you need to address underlying cause. If antibodies are off then with low B-12 I would look into GI issues PRONTO..Not with a GI dr either they are a waste...

Health

Awards
I can't yet PM you because I don't have enough posts, but he has ordered most every test I have asked for. Sometimes he doesn't order the right ones or I have to ask him a few times to change them, but he seems to try to order them for me. He doesn't seem to have any idea what the problem may be and he hasn't interpreted any of these results at all - apart from low vitamin d. Even though my testosterone is low for my age, my ferritin is high and my tsh is high. Any suggestions you could give to lock this down or even help it would be great. Do you think it's possible I don't have a thyroid problem and all this could be corrected by a change in diet? That would be great if true. I almost have man boobs and my penis is shrunken and always feels awful, I am always lacking energy and I should be in the prime of my life...

Health

Awards
Red flag for hidden inflammation.
Fine if he's ok running test contact me and we will have a field day, because you need to address underlying cause. If antibodies are off then with low B-12 I would look into GI issues PRONTO..Not with a GI dr either they are a waste...
If a GI doctor is a waste then who could I contact to recognize and treat any GI issues? I turn red and hot quite often, my chest near my heart feels swollen often and I feel a lot of nausea and upset stomach and when I do my penis retracts often.

Health

Awards
Someone mentioned to me that it's possible I have hemochromatosis and recommended getting my other iron labs done. I'm not sure if this makes a difference to any of my test results but my father has hepatitis b himself...

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Someone mentioned to me that it's possible I have hemochromatosis and recommended getting my other iron labs done. I'm not sure if this makes a difference to any of my test results but my father has hepatitis b himself...
Ferritin is a red flag in my book. Its pushing the upper limit.
I have a series of individualize test I suggest with people depending on the pathology of their case which needs to be determine through proper evaluation. I deal specifically with GI issue and other conditions tradition dr's are not aware of. I also work in conjunction with your Dr to help to narrow things down in a timely matter keeping in lines with medical validation. When dealing with medical professionals they do not want to think, but to have concrete evidence to help base their finally decision on. I have worked with a lot of medical professionals in helping to guide them and educate them on things they may not be aware of which are medical supported. Sounds like you got a good Dr, just needs to brought up to date on things. Medical professionals do not have time to research latest trends in medicine and work 14 hours a day. Dr's just use me as research tool for complex cases they refer out to me to further investigate. Your case is extremely common..When you have an open minded it makes my job a lot easier...

Health

Awards
Ferritin is a red flag in my book. Its pushing the upper limit.
I have a series of individualize test I suggest with people depending on the pathology of their case which needs to be determine through proper evaluation. I deal specifically with GI issue and other conditions tradition dr's are not aware of. I also work in conjunction with your Dr to help to narrow things down in a timely matter keeping in lines with medical validation. When dealing with medical professionals they do not want to think, but to have concrete evidence to help base their finally decision on. I have worked with a lot of medical professionals in helping to guide them and educate them on things they may not be aware of which are medical supported. Sounds like you got a good Dr, just needs to brought up to date on things. Medical professionals do not have time to research latest trends in medicine and work 14 hours a day. Dr's just use me as research tool for complex cases they refer out to me to further investigate. Your case is extremely common..When you have an open minded it makes my job a lot easier...
So is there anything you recommend I ask my doctor for, or bring to his attention? He doesn't seem to have a clue what could be happening to me. When the test results came back he just told me to take vitamin D supplements, didn't mention anything else. I had to ask for these new tests I'm going for and he didn't even mention the high ferritin. If you don't mind me asking, what might you recommend I say to him or have tested?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
So is there anything you recommend I ask my doctor for, or bring to his attention? He doesn't seem to have a clue what could be happening to me. When the test results came back he just told me to take vitamin D supplements, didn't mention anything else. I had to ask for these new tests I'm going for and he didn't even mention the high ferritin. If you don't mind me asking, what might you recommend I say to him or have tested?
Hemmochromatosis gene
Estradiol
shbg
Rt3
Iron panel
tpo
tgab

until i know.more data these are ones i recommend. Usually person present me with the proper.information then i can formulate a systemic approach to.nail.this down in about 4 weeks vs 6 months or more of screwing around like most.people end up doing
when dealing with cases which i have dealt with many peoples here already i usually.have up to 50-60 pages of data to look over to.make.recommendations for further evaluation.

Health

Awards
I am getting my thyroid antibodies checked this week, as well as a fuller iron panel and my reverse t3.
After I post those results I will get on my doctor about ordering the shbg and estradiol tests as well as the hemo gene testing.

Do you have a hunch as to what may be up with me even with this limited info? Should I alter my diet in the mean time?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As always, great info from Matrix.

I personally wouldn't do a 180 on the diet, yet, because that's just another variable to factor in while trying to figure your situation out. Definitely post the results to the tests when you can and get the others done as you mentioned. I'd offer to help, but Matrix has far better advice. You're in good hands with him, but I'll be checking in/following.

Health

Awards
Should I perhaps look into Hepatitis B, since my father has it? I have been vaccinated at one point or another I believe. Or should I check for lyme disease or anything?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Should I perhaps look into Hepatitis B, since my father has it? I have been vaccinated at one point or another I believe. Or should I check for lyme disease or anything?

If you been vacinated then you will come.up false positive. Now you are thinking on the right paths. I have dealt.with people.with lyme. Its.not a pretty disease because it can.mimic lot.of things. When dealing with complex cases demographics is crucial as.why.having proper data is crucial. Being certified as nei gives.me greater.flexibility to do.further evaluation.via clinical lab testing since some.people run into problems with.medical profession. Now i am able.to have access to proper.testing with difficult.cases. As of.now.with out.any personal information i have focus.on a few area where imbalance may.lie. With out proper history it.makes.it hard to.make recommendations. This is why i.cringe when. People on line are trying to help, but in some cases with out.knowing the whole story end up.making it worse ..

Health

Awards
Evidentally the treatment for lyme in Canada is not too good. I am just a 22 year old kid who hasn't had the energy to go to college or anything and even my family doesn't believe how sick I am. I just want to feel better and not have this continue to progress. I've recently found out that if it is in fact lyme that it'll be very hard to get proper treatment around here...

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Evidentally the treatment for lyme in Canada is not too good. I am just a 22 year old kid who hasn't had the energy to go to college or anything and even my family doesn't believe how sick I am. I just want to feel better and not have this continue to progress. I've recently found out that if it is in fact lyme that it'll be very hard to get proper treatment around here...
You find a open mind DR up there they see what I am capable of. He will be a very busy man. I have been trying to find an open minded dr in Canada because there are a lot of people who need help in and do not have access to it. Again I am not a Dr I am just do the research on cases referred out by medical professionals. Dr's do not have time to research. Once I have all my findings I present to the Dr then make suggestion on what things to explore next or how to resolve the issue in a timely matter following medically validate guidelines.

jdub1980

Awards
I still need to be fully diagnosed with it. I am getting checked for thyroid antibodies tomorrow. I just for the longest time felt my issue was thyroid related and that it swings between hyper and hypo. I want to find a doctor who will use Armour from the get go since I have heard bad things about synthetic. My doctor hasn't really begun treating my adrenals or even made mention of that. Did you do a 24 hour cortisol test? I still need to get that done. I have been reading a lot about maintaining a gluten free diet and how that may greatly help those with hashi's. Also, I read a link between lyme disease and thyroid issues and I was bitten by a few ticks while younger, I just never looked into it. There's too many things linked here that seemingly just progress into more and larger issues so I'd like to solve this to the root cause.

After TSH came back high, doc ordered thyroid panel and 24 hour saliva test for cortisol. Cortisol levels were in range, but on the low side. Doc wasn't concerned with the low numbers because they were in range. I decided that I wanted my cortisol levels to be in the optimum range and started taking Isocort. I lost about 5 lbs when I switched from Synthroid to natural desiccated thyroid.

I have been gluten free for about 2 months now. Haven't noticed any difference though.

Will get checked for Lyme disease on next visit. What is the treatment for Lyme disease?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
After TSH came back high, doc ordered thyroid panel and 24 hour saliva test for cortisol. Cortisol levels were in range, but on the low side. Doc wasn't concerned with the low numbers because they were in range. I decided that I wanted my cortisol levels to be in the optimum range and started taking Isocort. I lost about 5 lbs when I switched from Synthroid to natural desiccated thyroid.

I have been gluten free for about 2 months now. Haven't noticed any difference though.

Will get checked for Lyme disease on next visit. What is the treatment for Lyme disease?
Jdub1980 start your own thread and let's see if we can get you on the right track..I am sure I will be able to figure which way to go next. I think you where to soon to jump the gun on thyroid because it may be a symptom of the cause which just has not been found. Once you start on thyroid there is no turning back. Knowing what I know now I would have not needed none of the drugs I am on if I addressed the root cause which was my gut all along not my thyroid, adrenals or testosterone.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Should I get checked for food allergies?
Yep, but most test will miss it because of the sensitivity and exposure. I see this all the time in Dr's patients.

Health

Awards
So is there anyway to narrow this down or am I just taking shots in the dark? I'm kind of confused as to what steps to take to even narrow it down to what the problems may be.

Health

Awards
Is it possible I have carcinoid syndrome or is that thinking too out of the box?
I do go flush red in just the face, my chest feels tight around my heart and I often have diarrhea and feel nauseous.
My family also has a high history of cancer, I lost two cousins before 18 to it and my grandmother all in the same time frame.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Is it possible I have carcinoid syndrome or is that thinking too out of the box?
I do go flush red in just the face, my chest feels tight around my heart and I often have diarrhea and feel nauseous.
My family also has a high history of cancer, I lost two cousins before 18 to it and my grandmother all in the same time frame.
if there are pre existing medical conditions then your Dr needs.to.investigate. Just from a few sentence a bunch of red.flags have already gone up and wheel are turning.
Symptoms can over lap so one need to get proper evaluations done.which not alot.of Dr do. I have worked with people from Aussie before and.many of them fell.into same.pattern. I.love these cases because they get you thinking really about how to approach it. Like.i.said.i.got a bunch of things which just hit.me. Dealing with hundreds off cases over the years you begin to.pick out trends.one.sees.

Health

Awards
So after I finish getting all these tests you mentioned and post my updated results you think you may be able to help me further?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any updates, OP?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Any updates, OP?
Look for cause not symptomology...This is the problem with modern medicine and why people are on meds who do not have to be...