FINALLY got blood labs done...help much appreciated!

CharlosCarlie

Awards
So I've been on TRT for about 6 months now and the more I read on this site, the more I realize my Doc's prescribed protocol isn't exactly optimal. I've been really bad about getting labs done, but I finally got my **** together and plan on getting this dialed in.

My original labs are as follows. (I'm 28 FWIW)

Test:
- Total: 578 ng/dl (241-827)
- SHBG: 21 nmol/l (13-71)
- Free: 15.6 ng/dl (6-27)

DHEA:
- 430 ug/dl (24-549)

Reverse T3:
- 445 pg/ml (90-350)
She didn't even test for Estradiol which should have been a warning flag right away, but I didn't know any better at the time. Her original protocol was 100 mg Test C 2x/wk which is clearly way too high, so I cut that down to 60mg 2x/week (my vials had 1.2 ML for whatever reason so I just picked 60 for now). I have also been injecting 250 IU of HCG EOD as I've seen recommended on a lot of forums. Was not prescribed an AI.

My current labs: (FWIW I injected the Test on Saturday morning and had the blood draw Monday around noon. I did inject HCG Monday morning, so I'm not sure how that might skew the results)

Quest

Test:
- Total: 976 ng/dl
- Free: 223.1 pg/ml

DHEA:
- 413 mcg/dl

Estradiol: (Ultrasensitive...had to correct her of course)
- 62 pg/ml
Given the high E2, she suggested we drop the Test a little which is fine by me...but she wanted to do 80mg 2x/wk which is still too high obviously since these past labs were at 60mg 2x. She wanted me to wait a few weeks before prescribing an AI and I didn't push it much because she isn't very responsive to criticism from me.

My questions:
- What T dose would you guys recommend I cut back to? (if you'd cut back at all)
- W/ how high my E2 was, is an AI absolutely mandatory or would the reduction in T help enough?
- Any other suggestions? I'm definitely eager to learn.

Much thanks in advance!
Chad

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
So I've been on TRT for about 6 months now and the more I read on this site, the more I realize my Doc's prescribed protocol isn't exactly optimal. I've been really bad about getting labs done, but I finally got my **** together and plan on getting this dialed in.

She didn't even test for Estradiol which should have been a warning flag right away, but I didn't know any better at the time. Her original protocol was 100 mg Test C 2x/wk which is clearly way too high, so I cut that down to 60mg 2x/week (my vials had 1.2 ML for whatever reason so I just picked 60 for now). I have also been injecting 250 IU of HCG EOD as I've seen recommended on a lot of forums. Was not prescribed an AI.

My current labs: (FWIW I injected the Test on Saturday morning and had the blood draw Monday around noon. I did inject HCG Monday morning, so I'm not sure how that might skew the results)

Given the high E2, she suggested we drop the Test a little which is fine by me...but she wanted to do 80mg 2x/wk which is still too high obviously since these past labs were at 60mg 2x. She wanted me to wait a few weeks before prescribing an AI and I didn't push it much because she isn't very responsive to criticism from me.

My questions:
- What T dose would you guys recommend I cut back to? (if you'd cut back at all)
- W/ how high my E2 was, is an AI absolutely mandatory or would the reduction in T help enough?

Much thanks in advance!
Chad
Do orginal labs = pre HRT?

Why in the hell did your Dr prescribe you HRT in the first place if they where your original numbers? Is she off her rocker?
All you had to do was to deal with stress related issues in the first place and it would have saved you money and also unneeded drugs in the first place.

CharlosCarlie

Awards
Do orginal labs = pre HRT?

Why in the hell did your Dr prescribe you HRT in the first place if they where your original numbers? Is she off her rocker?
All you had to do was to deal with stress related issues in the first place and it would have saved you money and also unneeded drugs in the first place.
I know...it was definitely a mistake at the time, but I just trusted what the Dr. said and didn't question it enough. I know better now. :(

What would you suggest my plan be going forward? Am I pretty much forced to stay on TRT at this point? What would you have suggested I do if you were her and saw my pre-HRT labs?

And sorry for the 20 questions, I just really want to get this stuff fixed.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I know...it was definitely a mistake at the time, but I just trusted what the Dr. said and didn't question it enough. I know better now. :(

What would you suggest my plan be going forward? Am I pretty much forced to stay on TRT at this point? What would you have suggested I do if you were her and saw my pre-HRT labs?

And sorry for the 20 questions, I just really want to get this stuff fixed.
Given the fact that you been on it this long, I would still say there is a chance for your own body to return to normal if it is done properly.
That choice is all yours..If I where you I would not want to be condemned to HRT for rest of my life when there is a chance you do not have to. Its a hassle and is an extra cost you do not need.

CharlosCarlie

Awards
Thanks Matrix. I'm curious about this statement though:

I would still say there is a chance for your own body to return to normal if it is done properly.
Given I have two real choices:
1)Go off TRT and hope for the best or
2)Stay on TRT and fix my protocol

What would be your recommendation for each?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Matrix. I'm curious about this statement though:

Given I have two real choices:
1)Go off TRT and hope for the best or
2)Stay on TRT and fix my protocol

What would be your recommendation for each?
1) With way govt is screwing around with meds I be worried they may one day just pull the plug on HRT. Then where would you be? Its an extra cost one does not need and it may aggravate other issues (thyroid or adrenal) down the road. Why open your self up to those potential issues.

2.) knowing you had good levels to start there is a greater chance for you to hold provided other factors are ruled out and you have the optimal environment to occur.

If I had the knowledge now when I was going through my health crisis I would not stuck on TRT or thyroid possible for rest of mylife, but I am going to try to prove that wrong. As people told me I would never get off cortef and I did.

CharlosCarlie

Awards
2.) knowing you had good levels to start there is a greater chance for you to hold provided other factors are ruled out and you have the optimal environment to occur.
I know it's been a while, but after a lot of thought I wanted to bump this thread since I've decided to try and see if I can get off TRT. What would you consider an optimal environment and how should I proceed?

Really, really appreciate it BTW.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established

My questions:

Much thanks in advance!
Chad
She should have never been put on HRT in the first place based on these readings, I would have your DR discontinue it and allow your body to restart on its own.
Since the rt3 was elevated I would have been focusing on why your body was under stress looking at numerous factors. As mention before you are setting your self up for total disaster and going down the wrong pathways which will only cause more imbalances in your body. As you can see they are already starting. No you need and AI then you will need probably thyroid or cortisol. Continue on this destructive pathway and you are potential risking major impact on your health. I have seen many guys do this and self destruct or come crying back when we suggested it in the first place long time ago. Creating the environement is not a simple task and needs to be done with the help of a medical professional because proper evaluation is needed in order to accomplish this. When looking at HRT, One needs to look at not just hormones, but all of the components which go into optimal wellness which 90% of HRT Dr's over look. If you have an open minded health professional it will make the task alot easier..

CharlosCarlie

Awards
As mention before you are setting your self up for total disaster and going down the wrong pathways which will only cause more imbalances in your body. As you can see they are already starting.
You'll get no argument from me. I was at a relative low point in my life when going on TRT and didn't know wtf I was doing. I guess I hoped it would be an easy fix, but like you mentioned, after the initial honeymoon period it's been a constant battle just feeling like I used to. I don't necessarily feel any worse than pre-TRT, but I definitely don't feel good enough to warrant all the hassle and money it's costing me.

Considering the initial diagnosis and that my doc has been flat out wrong about some stuff, I'm thinking I should just find somebody else. In the mean time, is there anything you could suggest I start doing? Should I wean myself off the Test and see how it goes or find a doctor first?

Thanks again.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
You'll get no argument from me. I was at a relative low point in my life when going on TRT and didn't know wtf I was doing. I guess I hoped it would be an easy fix, but like you mentioned, after the initial honeymoon period it's been a constant battle just feeling like I used to. I don't necessarily feel any worse than pre-TRT, but I definitely don't feel good enough to warrant all the hassle and money it's costing me.

Considering the initial diagnosis and that my doc has been flat out wrong about some stuff, I'm thinking I should just find somebody else. In the mean time, is there anything you could suggest I start doing? Should I wean myself off the Test and see how it goes or find a doctor first?

Thanks again.
Again this needs to be done under proper supervision, PM me for a Dr in your area.