Is there a negative effect from beta blockers upon testosterone levels?

studentofendo

Awards
I take Bystolic 10 mg BID to control severe hypertension from a medical condition (Behcet's Disease).

I also take Labetalol 200 mg BID at the same time as the other med.

This is necessary to control otherwise uncontrolled malignant hypertension from vasculitis from this condition (this is caused from overexpression of tnf alpha, an inflammatory cytokine). I have tried various supplements and dietary changes with limited success controlling the hypertension but still require the meds for good control.

My question is: Does this medication contribute to lowered testosterone levels?

I have very low total and low-end free T (and *low* SHBG also).

I also have very bad insulin resistance (my HA1C was well within reference range, however).

I seek help understanding the impacts of beta blockers (both meds I take are beta blockers) upon my hormonal problems.

I'm told beta blocker impair thyroid function and may lower T through other means as well. Anyone have any experience or insight they can provide? I'm very grateful for any information or links. THANKS.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I take Bystolic 10 mg BID to control severe hypertension from a medical condition (Behcet's Disease).

I also take Labetalol 200 mg BID at the same time as the other med.

This is necessary to control otherwise uncontrolled malignant hypertension from vasculitis from this condition (this is caused from overexpression of tnf alpha, an inflammatory cytokine). I have tried various supplements and dietary changes with limited success controlling the hypertension but still require the meds for good control.

My question is: Does this medication contribute to lowered testosterone levels?

I have very low total and low-end free T (and *low* SHBG also).

I also have very bad insulin resistance (my HA1C was well within reference range, however).

I seek help understanding the impacts of beta blockers (both meds I take are beta blockers) upon my hormonal problems.

I'm told beta blocker impair thyroid function and may lower T through other means as well. Anyone have any experience or insight they can provide? I'm very grateful for any information or links. THANKS.
Betablockers may effect testosterone production by effecting LH levels

studentofendo

Awards
Betablockers may effect testosterone production by effecting LH levels
How can I raise LH without increasing tnf alpha or NO2 (both of which worsen my B.D. and resulting hypertension) ?

I've found supplements which raise T but most also trigger my disease and result in HTN.

studentofendo

Awards
In other words, how can I stimulate LH in a healthy way without drugs or elevating tnf alpha or NO2 ?

Will weight training do this? Aerobic exercise? Supplemental zinc and/or magnesium?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
In other words, how can I stimulate LH in a healthy way without drugs or elevating tnf alpha or NO2 ?

Will weight training do this? Aerobic exercise? Supplemental zinc and/or magnesium?
Proper eating, good sleep, sound mind, and exercise, practice stress reduction. If there is low LH due to medicine side effects then HCG or clomid would be highly suggested. Your in a catch 22 position. YOu need to get proper hormone evaluation looking at all the hidden factors involved. Some time all the natural intervention will only go so far.

studentofendo

Awards
Proper eating, good sleep, sound mind, and exercise, practice stress reduction. If there is low LH due to medicine side effects then HCG or clomid would be highly suggested. Your in a catch 22 position. YOu need to get proper hormone evaluation looking at all the hidden factors involved. Some time all the natural intervention will only go so far.
I agree and understand completely. I've been evaluated by two endo's extensively, plus the Mayo Clinic in AZ. Their solution is medication only, and I found that through diet and natural supplements I've been able to get off of 3 of the 5 medications that I was on (at the same time) - AND have better and more stable BP control.

The clinics have reached the end of their usefulness to me. Most recently, I've tried nettle leaf which has greatly helped me reduce tnf alpha related inflammation (along with high dose D3) and now (for the first time in years) do have erections again *part* of the time, and feel much better (more energy, better sleep, etc). So, my body is healing slowly.

I had very low blood D3 - about 17, if I recall, before supplementing.

I have come a LONG way in my healing, but I still have much progress to make and feel if I can identify herbs that can stimulate LH and at the same time reduce inflammation, I may have a chance of becoming healed and medication free. Vitamin D3 has been like a miracle to me - reduced BP, need for meds, raised testosterone level 50% since starting, and more. But there is more I can do.

NONE of my progress was due to medical advice (except that beta blockers did save my life by keeping my BP down and buy me time to research. My BP had gotten as high as 245 / 165 - dangerously high).