Need to Raise SHBG!

JamieVegas

Awards
I have had clinically low testosterone since my teenage years and all TRT has failed to produce subjective benefits. Without proper SHBG levels to match the testosterone that I take from SHBG, my body can't properly regulate androgen metabolism or receptor site sensitivity.

I've discovered that I have a particular SNP on the gene that encodes for SHBG that causes my SHBG to be abnormally low. Due to this, my testosterone has been low since I was teenager and I have never been able to function sexually, build muscle, etc.

Insulin lowering drugs will not work, as insulin is not the culprit with the low SHBG in this case. It is literally a genetic SNP on the actual gene that encodes the SHGB glycoprotien. T3 medications have been a failure -- they only raise SHBG in men with healthy genetics.

Does anyone know of any drugs or supplements that could help raise SHBG?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I have had clinically low testosterone since my teenage years and all TRT has failed to produce subjective benefits. Without proper SHBG levels to match the testosterone that I take from SHBG, my body can't properly regulate androgen metabolism or receptor site sensitivity.

I've discovered that I have a particular SNP on the gene that encodes for SHBG that causes my SHBG to be abnormally low. Due to this, my testosterone has been low since I was teenager and I have never been able to function sexually, build muscle, etc.

Insulin lowering drugs will not work, as insulin is not the culprit with the low SHBG in this case. It is literally a genetic SNP on the actual gene that encodes the SHGB glycoprotien. T3 medications have been a failure -- they only raise SHBG in men with healthy genetics.

Does anyone know of any drugs or supplements that could help raise SHBG?
How was this confirmed?
estrogens? nolvadex, birth control pills
lots of soy milk, tofu
Why TRT with gels this should resolve have enough testosterone to go around.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same boat. My endo told me that some males just are genetically low in SHBG. It's odd because so many bodybuilders are told that free test is the be all end all for building muscle, but despite having over the range free test levels and working out for 36 years, I can't add or hold muscle to save my life.
Most bodybuilders seem to want to measure muscle by weight gain. I prefer to use arm measurements because I can skip working out for one week and lose 1/2" in my arms while maintaining the same weight.

I've learned that in my case raising estrogen does not raise SHBG. In fact, I have to maintain lower than average estrogen levels just to function. I have also found that I can't get by with the elevated test levels some men can get away with. I can't use 150mg of test per week. I also know that doses of 500mg to 2000mg per week don't help either in terms of sexual funtion OR adding muscle. As of right now, I am experimening with 80mg per week.

Direct answer to your question though is that I have yet to find anything that will raise SHBG and I believe the current way to success for us is to find the perfect ratio of test to estrogen that our SHBG level can manage. Unfortunately, I believe it is going to be much lower than the average male.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same boat. My endo told me that some males just are genetically low in SHBG. It's odd because so many bodybuilders are told that free test is the be all end all for building muscle, but despite having over the range free test levels and working out for 36 years, I can't add or hold muscle to save my life.
Most bodybuilders seem to want to measure muscle by weight gain. I prefer to use arm measurements because I can skip working out for one week and lose 1/2" in my arms while maintaining the same weight.

I've learned that in my case raising estrogen does not raise SHBG. In fact, I have to maintain lower than average estrogen levels just to function. I have also found that I can't get by with the elevated test levels some men can get away with. I can't use 150mg of test per week. I also know that doses of 500mg to 2000mg per week don't help either in terms of sexual funtion OR adding muscle. As of right now, I am experimening with 80mg per week.

Direct answer to your question though is that I have yet to find anything that will raise SHBG and I believe the current way to success for us is to find the perfect ratio of test to estrogen that our SHBG level can manage. Unfortunately, I believe it is going to be much lower than the average male.
Which goes back to the simple rule
"Lower the shbg lower the e2 has to be in order to form the correct ratio"

JamieVegas

Awards

I wonder if blood transfusions would work. That's probably the only way to get our SHBG -- to borrow it from males that can make it.

DragonRider,

Did you ever test yourself for insulin resistance? How about hypothyroidism? Are you certain that your is genetic?

My doctor told me it was "genetic" before he even bothered to check my insulin response with a three hour glucose tolerance test. He didn't bother with a comprehensive thyroid panel, either, even though TSH is high and RT3 is elevated.

Last edited:

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
DragonRider,

Did you ever test yourself for insulin resistance? How about hypothyroidism? Are you certain that your is genetic?

My doctor told me it was "genetic" before he even bothered to check my insulin response with a three hour glucose tolerance test. He didn't bother with a comprehensive thyroid panel, either, even though TSH is high and RT3 is elevated.
I've never been tested for insulin resistance, but my thyroid is borderline hypothyroid. Problem is, I'm still considered in range, so no doctor will treat me.
On the other hand, I've read somewhere recently that insulin resistance can be a cause of hypothyroidism.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I've never been tested for insulin resistance, but my thyroid is borderline hypothyroid. Problem is, I'm still considered in range, so no doctor will treat me.
On the other hand, I've read somewhere recently that insulin resistance can be a cause of hypothyroidism.
Actual its both ways because it down regulates t4 to t3 conversion
hypothyroid will cause adrenal issues which can help regulate blood sugar.

Dragon if you near philly we may be able to help you out there ..

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Actual its both ways because it down regulates t4 to t3 conversion
hypothyroid will cause adrenal issues which can help regulate blood sugar.

Dragon if you near philly we may be able to help you out there ..
I'm in Tennessee. I would love to come visit, but I've been unemployed for 11 months. It just isn't in the cards right now.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I'm in Tennessee. I would love to come visit, but I've been unemployed for 11 months. It just isn't in the cards right now.
Unfortunately, I do not know any one down in that area is any good to refer you to, but I can tell you where to get OTC stuff which is NT thyroid under the radar. That might help you out.

jdub1980

Awards
Matrix, would you PM me about where to get the NT thyroid. I have been recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Doc has me on synthroid right now. I plan on asking doc for natural desiccated on next visit, but I'm not sure he will go for it.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Matrix, would you PM me about where to get the NT thyroid. I have been recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Doc has me on synthroid right now. I plan on asking doc for natural desiccated on next visit, but I'm not sure he will go for it.
I am cautious about people with hashi with NT because it may cause an immune response because the body does not know the difference between pig thyroid and human thyroid. I would just add in t-3 before switching medication. There are many people who are on synthetics and are doing fine just as long as the conversion is good as well as having some iodoral and selenium in proper balance.