Worth it to get a second opinion? [22 yr old]

Drick

Awards
Was sent to a endocrinologist for high cortisol levels. The levels did come out high, but it was determined to be caused by stress. He also threw in a serum testosterone test because I was experiencing low energy, low motivation, poor memory, depression, and erectile dysfunction. It's really hard to get anything done, even slacking takes energy. Going out with friends takes too much energy so I don't bother. Doc said testosterone levels are fine and left it at that and he didn't do any further testing. Does this doctor know what he is doing? Because at that level I would do further testing, instead he wrote in his report to my GP "to stay away from anabolic hormones".

Cortisol 24hr: 183 [30-220] nmol/d
Testosterone: 13.4 [10.0-30.0] nmol/L (386 [288-865] ng/dl)
Androstenedione: 6.0 [1.6-8.8] nmol/L

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if ur not feeling good bro then go find out whats wrong..........

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Was sent to a endocrinologist for high cortisol levels. The levels did come out high, but it was determined to be caused by stress. He also threw in a serum testosterone test because I was experiencing low energy, low motivation, poor memory, depression, and erectile dysfunction. It's really hard to get anything done, even slacking takes energy. Going out with friends takes too much energy so I don't bother. Doc said testosterone levels are fine and left it at that and he didn't do any further testing. Does this doctor know what he is doing? Because at that level I would do further testing, instead he wrote in his report to my GP "to stay away from anabolic hormones".

Cortisol 24hr: 183 [30-220] nmol/d
Testosterone: 13.4 [10.0-30.0] nmol/L (386 [288-865] ng/dl)
Androstenedione: 6.0 [1.6-8.8] nmol/L
I agree stay away from HRT if it is not necessary. Need to identify you are primary vs secondary and what is the cause. Office is verifying information. Call today one of them was out on vacation. Its that time of year

Drick

Awards
I agree, HRT should be a last option. What tests should I try and get him to do? Retest serum testosterone and then try to get free testosterone, estradiol, LH, FSH, and SHBG. Am I missing anything else? DHT costs $180CDN to do...

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I agree, HRT should be a last option. What tests should I try and get him to do? Retest serum testosterone and then try to get free testosterone, estradiol, LH, FSH, and SHBG. Am I missing anything else? DHT costs $180CDN to do...
TRy not to figure this out on your own you are going to waste a lot of time and money. I blew 70, 000 grand till I was able to put the pieces of the puzzle together my self after 4 years of intensive research. You need to look at the root cause not just start testing guessing these are the right test which they may not be based upon your individual case and history.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol opposes testosterone. Lower cortisol and your testosterone should go up. Need to figure out why cortisol is high.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol opposes testosterone. Lower cortisol and your testosterone should go up. Need to figure out why cortisol is high.
does the opposite work? If you raise testosterone, does your cortisol go down?

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely. You can drop your cortisol too low with test and lose your energy.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Yes this is why I am strongly against 200 mgs of testosterone a week. Typical case I see with guys is that they feel great for about 6 months then all of sudden they are complaining about fatigue, libido issue, sleep difficulties, ect when e2 is in check. They come crying "what's wrong with me, please help". After suspecting they where on too much TRT and then adrenal are getting hammered, I run a cortisol saliva to confirm. 90% of the time it is what I predicted. Some times in these cases lowering the dossages down in slow increments under dr supervision along with some adrenal support resolves the issue. Other times adrenals may be good, but the TSH went up because excessive T can reduce thyroid because T is driving metabolism not the thyroid. There are few of case scenerios which I have come across in my travels.