Propecia/Rogaine and TRT

jdub1980

Awards
I know that elevated DHT while on TRT can cause hair loss and that the most effective way to prevent DHT conversion is to use Propecia. I have also read that Propecia can have some pretty bad side effects when used long term. My question is this: Has anyone had success using a topical like Rogaine while on TRT, even though DHT levels might be elevated?

Also, any input from long time Propecia users would be appreciated.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Propsecia I would stay away from it as if it was the plaque. I have several clients and Dr's patients I am now handle cases with major issues related to this drug.

trytestim

Awards
I tried getting off finasteride (Propecia) for 3 mths. I was using Rogaine, Nizoral, Toco-8 instead. At about the 3 mth mark...I started noticing more and more hairs on the sink even after washing my hair. I am so vain I am taking the risk and going back on finasteride 1mg every other day. Yes, I know but I am hoping I am one of the lucky ones who has little side effects cuz let me tell you... a bad hair line on this round face aint good

I am a bit confused about Rogaine. It says it is only effective for the center/rear bald spot area but it seems people on here refer to it as a buffer for frontal loss as well. Anyone know about this?

jdub1980

Awards
Will Rogaine work even if DHT levels are high?

hitest

Awards
I know that elevated DHT while on TRT can cause hair loss and that the most effective way to prevent DHT conversion is to use Propecia. I have also read that Propecia can have some pretty bad side effects when used long term. My question is this: Has anyone had success using a topical like Rogaine while on TRT, even though DHT levels might be elevated?

Also, any input from long time Propecia users would be appreciated.
Look into using a topical combining Minoxidil with Azelaic acid (a DHT blocker).